Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby ronnie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:21 pm

kookkiter wrote: @ronnie spinning your system will disable the leash, .
Unspinning the system will not disable the leash.

Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Outside » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:37 pm

ronnie,

Which Antal ring and Wichard shackle are you using in that picture?
Do they fit together well?

Thanks.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 am

Outside wrote:ronnie,

Thanks.
http://marine.wichard.com/fiche-A%7CWIC ... 00-ME.html

They do not fit together well. It took a lot of work with a Dremmel to make it fit and I had to cut a lot of the ring away. It would work, but I wouldn't recommend it because there is only just enough aluminium left to slide on the rope. It was just an experiment to see if it could be done.
I had to use the Wichard ring because the Antal doesn't have enough aluminium to be made to fit.

I did email Wichard and suggested that they could modify the snap hook to fit the ring and put a hole through the swivel to create something suitable for kitesurfing, but I don't think they can do it cheaply enough to sell - even if they wanted to.

Outside
Rare Poster

Postby Outside » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 am

ronnie wrote:
Outside wrote:ronnie,

Thanks.

They do not fit together well. It took a lot of work with a Dremmel to make it fit and I had to cut a lot of the ring away. It would work, but I wouldn't recommend it because there is only just enough aluminium left to slide on the rope. It was just an experiment to see if it could be done.
I had to use the Wichard ring because the Antal doesn't have enough aluminium to be made to fit.

I did email Wichard and suggested that they could modify the snap hook to fit the ring and put a hole through the swivel to create something suitable for kitesurfing, but I don't think they can do it cheaply enough to sell - even if they wanted to.
Thanks for the response. I currently use the same shackle with the fixed part sliding directly on Spectra. It causes surprisingly little abrasion, but I am not fully satisfied with my setup. I guess I'll keep looking for a better option.

kookkiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby kookkiter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:30 am

thank Starsky
Last edited by kookkiter on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:28 pm

kookkiter wrote:@rynhardt Interesting, but most people will need and want ,a reachable bar if letting go and single line flagging. 2 line flagging is dangerous for some situations hence you see cabrinha moving away from it.

I think the reason Cabrinha moved away from 2 front line flagging was because it restricted their kite design from the flying aspect. I don't think safety was the main issue, although they had been building kites where they seemed to me to compromise safety to get other flying characteristics, so I think they thought it best to go for flying performance design freedom and drop the 2 front line safety (which works very well if done right - as with the original Crossbow).

@ronnie sorry :-o I didn't see that the device with the flagging line through it was spinning. Who makes that? any links?

Nobile used to make them, but have dropped them from production now.
http://www.powerkiteshop.com/nobile_kit ... ol_bar.htm

Interesting did Wichard get back to you.

No.

@Outside What arn't you happy with your setup? Any pics of it? Have you looked at all this thread? Ronstan makes rings in addition to Antal and Wichard.

I'm happy to use the BRM setup connected to the centre of the V8 Dynabar.

Outside
Rare Poster

Postby Outside » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:06 pm

Unfortunately I am veering away from the premise of this thread. My goal was to eliminate the hook part of my Dynabar, not to eliminate the chicken loop.

Currently, I close the snap shackle (a Wichard 2673) around my SS chicken loop. I am not 100% confident in an emergency that the chicken loop will slide through the shackle, or that I will be able to find the ball attached to the quick-release on the Wichard.

kookkiter
Rare Poster

Postby kookkiter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:40 pm

thank Starsky

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 am

Outside wrote:My goal was to eliminate the hook part of my Dynabar, not to eliminate the chicken loop.
Why then would you not just use the U-bolt that is supplied with the Dynabar and thread the chicken loop though it ? (Assuming that you have an opening style chicken loop).

It seems that the Dynabar's U-bolt can be used either with just the chicken loop or with the "roller hook" between the U-bolt and the chicken loop. The latter configuration might give a smoother pivoting action at the expense of moving the bar a bit further away.

kookkiter
Rare Poster

Postby kookkiter » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 pm

thank Starsky

Return to “Kitesurfing”