Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Forum for kitesurfers
flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sijandy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm

@ flyingweasel - stop mincing your words and get your point across will ya haha. Amusing.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:18 pm

flyingweasel wrote: Anything left you still do not understand????
Yeah.... gojoe's

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 am

I have not seen anyone bring up the Surefire spreader bar from Slingshot. A while back I removed QR hook from a Surefire spreader bar and made it into a sliding QR hook.

The bend in the shaft makes the hook sit upside down which seemed a bit strange. It still worked due to the small "donkey dick" holding the ring when not under a load.

The biggest negatives of this sliding set up

1. Too easy to release. One time I was picking up a board for another kiteboarder. The board I was carrying hit the hook release. The release is triggered by a small lever that is pushed towards the rider. I can see unintended releases occurring more often with this set up.
2. It is harder to reassemble a released QR hook underwater. If I am in deep water with a typical QR, I can raise it out of the water to see what I am doing. With a QR that is attached to the spreader bar, the user needs to know how to reassemble the QR and reconnect with the bar blind. This would be a problem a problem for any spreader bar based QR. This issue can be overcome with practice, but a QR is designed to stay with the spreader bar it must be easy to reassemble blind.

This basic set up with a bigger hook, shorter shaft and a push away release would be close to a solution for those that want to unhook.
Surefire sliding hook (2).jpg
This a pic of the Surefire bar as it was sold by Slingshot.
spreader bar sling.jpg

kookkiter
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby kookkiter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:30 am

thank Starsky
Last edited by kookkiter on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackie Treehorn
Medium Poster

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:02 am

SalmonSlayer wrote:I have not seen anyone bring up the Surefire spreader bar from Slingshot.
Thats because they were crap. The single point attachment to the spreader bar made the hook far more susceptable to twisting forces than a conventional hook - mine lasted about 4 months before it sheared off completely. The little release lever was a pain to use - it was fiddly, prone to being knocked, only on one side and positioned far too close to the body compared to a modern chicken loop release. You also needed some tension in the lines for it to release reliably and the smaller closure on the loop made unhooking/hooking back in a bit of a pain.

You lot keep on saying that you want to improve on the modern connection system, but its still not clear what problems you have with it - other than occasionally becoming unhooked which is a minor inconvenience at worst.The chicken loop/spreader bar hook system that you want to get rid of gives you the option of launching unhooked, riding unhooked, does not rely on any mechanical components and gives you two completely seperate means of disengaging yourself for your kite. What exactly are this big improvements that these other systems bring to the table?

Return to “Kitesurfing”