Local Beach: Brittany, France
Gear: Beginner
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurf in Kuantan, Malaysia

Postby Laure-Anne » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 am

Hi there,

I want to learn kitesurfing and I'm currently in Malaysia. Do you guys know which school I can rely on in Kuantan or around? Cause I heard some of them are really bad and I don't wanna start with a bad experience.. Cheers!

Saami
Frequent Poster

Re: Kitesurf in Kuantan, Malaysia

Postby Saami » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:38 am

I can't recommend one school over another; but my one recommendation would be that you make sure that they guarantee you a minimum of X hours of instruction for your course fee, even if that means that your course has to be spread out over several weeks. The reason why I say that is that the winds are not consistent in Kuantan during this time of year, so there is a risk that you could show up for your course and there will be no wind. So, make sure that the school is flexible about re-scheduling your hours as needed.

As for how many hours of instruction to ask for, personally I wouldn't settle for anything less than 12 hours if I were a beginner. Many people need at least that much instruction to become independent riders. Of course, you may be a "natural" talent who will learn quicker than that.

musikl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Greens beach
Low head, lagoon bay/ east beach
Kelso
Favorite Beaches: Greens beach, TAS
Style: Wave/freestyle/freeride
Gear: Naish Park 8m 13'
Naish Bolt 12m 11'

Postby musikl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey,
Its off season now. Not much wind. You need to be really lucky to get anything >10kts.
I dont think the 'schools' are open this time of the year anyway. But there is a place in cherating where they can teach you. Its called Kam's Surf shack. However, I don't think they have any legitimate qualifications yet.
Better just fly over to Bandar Acheh, one hour flight. RM300-400 return flight and cheap accommodation/food. its been blowing 20kts+ for the last month..

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello Laure-Anne,

Great that you want to learn and become a Kitesurfer. As already mentioned before, we have 20+ knots of wind every day since the beginning of June.

We have a Kite Club in Banda Aceh and it is great to teach you this in our lagoon. Right at the doorstep from our accommodation.

Look for information at our Kite Club: http://www.seabreezekiteclub.com/

If you need any info regarding lessons etc. Drop me a mail through our website and follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SeabreezeKiteC ... e=bookmark

Hope that this will help.

Thanks,

Maurice

Return to “Kitesurfing”