All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Line sleeving
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi guys,
I just wonder if any of you have made kite lines and if so, what material do you use to sleeve them? I think that most kite companies use kevlar, but it seems really hard to get. I can't find it anywhere.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Line sleeving
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i'd be surprised if any of the commercial vendors went to the expense of kevlar sleeving.
But, i'm sure it would work well.

I mostly remember heavier gage polyester/dacron
if you cant find a single braid the right diameter you could remove the core from a suitable over-braid.

many lines are a hollow single braid, that can be eye-spliced w/o the need for sleeves.

the rest of us are likely to use some flavor of Q-Line that can be knotted w/o the need for sleeving.

despite any claims to the contrary, the ultimate tensile strength does suffer. But its still very strong for the size.

imo.
-bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yes, I might've confused Kevlar with Dacron. Thanks for the response. I have polyester sleeves, but I don't know if it's strong enough. I will look for a dacron line in a shop and will see what I can find.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 am 
Frequent Poster

Make all my own lines use parachord 380 available at michaels craft store, pull out the center core and feed line through. available in all colors and cheap as dirt. Has lasted over a year without significant abrasion

Strength of the sleeve is not critical, when sewn the line takes the load, the purpose of the sleeve is to prevent the thin line from overtightening on itself and shelter it from friction.

the larks heads tighten the knot and carry most of the load preventing the sleeving from slipping so the stitching strength is not of crucial importance either. (but still important)

Anything that fits and has mildew and UV tolerance and decent abrasion is probably pretty good.
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382752&hilit=+sleeving

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Seriously q-power line is the best thing evah and zero need of sleeving. Lasts for years and years and is cheap. There's a lot of great tips on how to measure and tie it properly, do a search....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Don't sleeve. Splice. It's stronger, easier to do, and it looks better.

If you want extra strength then do a double splice. You insert a section of line inside the loop of the splice. It's a bit like sleeving only in reverse.

[ 6 posts ]