Local Beach: Gotland, Sweden
Style: Jump as high as I can
Gear: F one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: F one release b7

Postby johnny_dove » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:29 am

Moving towards kite makes sense! Thanks, will try.

What If there is a gust or if you are overpowered will it not get new tension, fly off its back and yank you?

What about self rescue? From my b4 and b5 experience, the kite starts flying around if I start winding the lines up. There will be tension if you pull the flag line a bit and start wrapping.
If i walk up the flag line, kite keeps flying around and doing that until I reach past the swivel.

What if one gets caught in offshore? Not good if have to swim out to sea to keep the kite from powering up...

Estonia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Estonia
Favorite Beaches: Estonia
Style: Freestyle
Gear: What gear do you ride currently

Postby Estonia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:52 pm

F-One is the biggest scum that I know.
Attachments
DSCF1287.JPG
DSCF1287.JPG (69.17 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
f- one depower rope broken.JPG
f- one depower rope broken.JPG (83.63 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Bandit F-One  Kite breaks out and begins to stretch the seams..JPG
Bandit F-One Kite breaks out and begins to stretch the seams..JPG (111.49 KiB) Viewed 2439 times

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

please, the idea of my bandit looping, me releasing, the kite still pulling in what is the released position, and then you say swim towards it because its still pulling. dream on and stop supporting a lethal release system.

I teach with the bandit and trying to teach a bar pack down and using the kite to get back to shore was always very hit and miss after the initial release .

I now use a single line realise, i.e. ozone bar and feel more confident each time the student pushes the release away and the bandit always depowers, rather than sometimes!!!111

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:07 pm

I thought I will dig this thread out with my recent quick release experience with B7 12m and B8 9m.
I had trouble several times with B7 but being a beginner I think i missed a crucial step.
Yesterday I popped the quick release by mistake on B8 9m after a backroll kiteloop. It didn't depower right away but after pulling an additional feet on the leash lifeline and wait for bar to travel all the way to yellow ball the kite turned around leading edge down with strut facing down wind. At that point it is fully depower. Before putting back chicken loop together make sure you keep a feet or so of leash line in hand so it stays depower.
I can't confirm if it works on B7 12 m.

Another experience with 12m was inverted kite where it flies with strut facing out, this usually happens when kite stalls after a jump and fall leading edge down with strut facing downwind. To bring the kite around just pull 6 feet on 1 back line (make sure to not wrap around any body part) and it will turn around, pulling front line won't work. Most likely the kite will flip around resulting with back line twisted around center line. If you depower a bit the kite flies fine and you can get back to the beach to sort it out.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 pm

kochease wrote:Just like with any make, model or brand 2 center line safety system people need to remember that if your kite doesn't flag out when safety is hit, your kite will be depowered but all you have to do is swim toward the kite just a bit and it will roll over on its back and go neutral in the water.

I think it is in the manual for the bandit too, I will have to look. It doesn't bother me at all when riding or teaching, I just move or swim toward the kite so lines get some slack and it flops over dead in the water. I tried the bandit 7 on the Blade uni bar and had same results as the bandit bar and the Blade uni bar is a single center line flag system.
And what if the shit has hit the fan and you can't swim towards the kite? If a safety system has been activated, it should kill all power in the kite with no further input from the rider.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Mon May 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Still have not managed to solve this issue. I had my 9M b5 kite invert the other day and had to pull the release when I could not get the kite back on track. The leading edge was inside out. The kite kept flying and pulling after being released. Had to get a friend hold it down.

I have been considering getting a second hand Ozone one line release bar but had an issue about a year ago with my 7M b6. One of the center lines popped of a knot during a jump in 30 knots. The kite started looping and kept looping until I released and the kite crashed. After releasing I should effectively have been on a one line release since one of the center lines had been disconnected at the knot, correct? But after I released it started pulling really hard. I tried running towards the kite and it fell on its back for a while but the kite somehow started walking upwind and half the kite came up and became a sail and started pulling really hard downwind towards some rocks. I had to dig my feet in and call a friend to come out and grab the kite. Maybe I should have ran more towards the kite again, I don't know. I was getting tired and close to the rocks. It seemed that the kite being released and only connected at one of the center lines started steering the kite slightly to that pulley's side so that the kite walked upwind. Perhaps the one line system does not work with the f one's pulley design in strong winds, or am I missing something? Many people say that Ozone bars work well with f one but the pull was a lot stronger than the pull I get after releasing on the 2 line system. Maybe the yellow stopper ball making a difference from a real Ozone 1 line release bar? Perhaps a one line release needs to be pulled further up the line? I have moved my yellow stopper ball up to the max.

I have surfed for some years and should be able to keep going happily whenever the wind picks up suddenly or when a squall is on the way in. I worry I will not be able to release if the wind picks up dramatically and it takes out the fun of any storm surfing on my 7M. I love my F Ones but for a storm kite I wish I would have got something more docile.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm

toi think i will try to release on my next session to sort it out. on my 9m the kite goes on its back but after a while it flips with leading edge in water facing me fully depowered in the same position as when you put kite down on beach.
Is will try on my 12m maybe I need to put the yellow stopper ball a bit further. But in low wind it is a bit harder to get kite to flip.

I will let you know if it works on B7 and b8

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:05 am

Just pull hard on the center line after you punch out and the kite will die and fly on its back. Keep pulling till you hit the yellow ball stopper. it's that simple. The F one kites don't roll over and play dead like other kites coz that's how they get that direct fast feel. Just get familiar with the kite and you will be good to go,

I was taught on a Cabrinha , and then I bought an F one. The first time I tried to release on an F one kite I completely freaked out. Now I don't even think about it.

But Yes, F one kites do not depower fully until you pull in the front lines, but they are awesome kites .

Good Riding...

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 pm

dt73775 wrote:Just pull hard on the center line after you punch out and the kite will die and fly on its back. Keep pulling till you hit the yellow ball stopper. it's that simple. The F one kites don't roll over and play dead like other kites coz that's how they get that direct fast feel. Just get familiar with the kite and you will be good to go,

I was taught on a Cabrinha , and then I bought an F one. The first time I tried to release on an F one kite I completely freaked out. Now I don't even think about it.

But Yes, F one kites do not depower fully until you pull in the front lines, but they are awesome kites .

Good Riding...
Pull all the way to yellow stopper then wrap? If start wrapping after pulling a bit out like other kites it will loop I think. I find it rather lively while pulling the center lines. Especially in high winds. Keeps launching and flying around then crashing. I had to get past swivel once to get it to stop. Kept dropping line almost cutting myself every time it flew away.

johnny_dove
Rare Poster

Postby johnny_dove » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm

jeromeL wrote:toi think i will try to release on my next session to sort it out. on my 9m the kite goes on its back but after a while it flips with leading edge in water facing me fully depowered in the same position as when you put kite down on beach.
Is will try on my 12m maybe I need to put the yellow stopper ball a bit further. But in low wind it is a bit harder to get kite to flip.

I will let you know if it works on B7 and b8
My bar doesn't walk up to the yellow stopper ball. Releasing is like letting go when unhooked for me. I have to manually pull it all the way until I get to the stopper. Center lines are often twisted below the swivel which I guess could be a factor.

Return to “Kitesurfing”