Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Choosing waves when its massive.

Postby plummet » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:48 am

When riding the big stuff I'm finding that letting the first wave in a massive set roll past and taking the next one is the way to go. The first big wave allways seems to be lumpy as hell. That wave cleans the water up and the next wave though it might be a little smaller is super clean and heaps more fun to ride. What techniques do you used for selecting big waves?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Choosing waves when its massive.

Postby Tone » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:37 am

depends on how the waves are setting up. When I used to surf more I'd always take the 3-4th wave. If you screw up and get caught on the inside you don't need to take too many beatings. Second wave of a set could mean loads more on the head.

Just my take.

With a kite, you "should" be able to get out through most waves either by jumping over them or powering through. Though that totally depends on the break.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:10 am

Depends on which one I leave for the windsurfer pumping his sail furiously in the usual stalled position, or lying in the water why I think of it... :D

Why?

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:15 am

I would just putt around on the outside and watch the humps come in. Took a while to learn to spot a winner.Then I would follow it in till the wave jacked up an away I'd go! :surf:

Saami
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Saami » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:39 pm

What Tone said. Ideally you want to ride the biggest wave of the set, or one of the waves following the biggest one - and as Tone said, that's usually wave number 3 or 4. That's kind of the general rule in surfing, and it's even more important when kitesurfing waves because if you drop your kite, you want the subsequent waves to break downwind of you and your kite (as opposed to breaking over your kite and you, which will be the case if the waves following "your" wave are bigger).

Never take the first one, unless you are feeling really cocky.

Return to “Kitesurfing”