North 4-line bar safety diagram?

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: North 4-line bar safety diagram?

Postby tomatkins » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:13 pm

[quote="Vertical”][

4 lines with 2 front lines safety is still very dangerous. My mate had to release his Dice on 35+ knots on the beach and he almost ended up in the bushes because of the power that he still had on his 6m kite using the 2 front lines safety. I had a similar situation once. Not very good feeling.[/quote]

A lot of good points have been brought out in this thread... mainly, that the “devil is in the details” when a person starts to modify a safety system. But also remember that there is no completely safe “safety system”... all safety releases will. at times, and give you a "tiger on a leash”... to some extent. I believe that only the old 4 line “C” kites (with only about 3 PSI pressure) or some “ram air” kites will “flag out” in the manner of a beach towel, being held by one corner, and thereby lay pretty much “flat” and powerless on the water or land. All modern bridled (or even the 9 PSI “C” kites) hold some of their pressurized shape, when thrown to their safety. So, under somewhat “normal” conditions of debris-free water or debris-free sand, the “safeties” work OK, but take any of these kites and flag them on land or even water with seaweed or floating debris, where a line can catch, and the balance is changed and the kite can come back alive with burst of power.

So, a good policy to follow, if a kiter has a kite that is acting suspeciously, or a kite that is severly compromised, by an overpowered wind event... is to try to stay away from other people, and get CLOSE to shore, and then to sent the kite to its safety, while still in the water... and not to bring the kite onto shore, where many more unpredictable scenarios can occur. If this policy is followed, then, the “two line” or the “single line” safety system is adequate, even with the residual pull, and will usually allow the kiter to “wrestle” the kite into submission. Don’t ever assume that “wrestling” will not be part of an emergency release to a safety system.

Vertical
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Altona
Style: Surf
Gear: 2014 North Dice 7m,10m
2014 North Trust bar quad
North WAM
North WHIP
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vertical » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 am

I have already converted my quad bar to a 5 lines bar and I'm really happy with the results.
I not suffered any lost of performance, as the bar still has a low V and the 5th line is not under tension either.
As a result, I've gained all the depower benefits from the 5 lines. As I'm not using the thick white line from north, I can see less drag also.
This update was fundamental, as I'm currently traveling around Vietnam in where in a lot of places don't have any kiters and there is no help to land the kite and when the tide is high there is hardly any beach left. Now I laugh at those conditions. I can safely land the kite by myself in any conditions and without any help.

What's needed
- a new line (5th line) same length as the front lines
- a metal ring
- a ball stopper
- then, follow the same schema as the 5 lines bar.

Easy and 100% functional.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:46 am

Hey vertical, i know you posted the pic of how you originally modified your 4 line quad to SLF system, but do you think you could post a pic or two of exactly what you did to the 2014 quad to convert to 5 line flag out while keeping the low Y.
Did you actually try your dice with the 5th element bar and if so did you find it made a difference. So many conflicting reports.
I'm pretty amped to get my bar converted, This week i had to punch out twice due to being radically overpowered and not being able to land solo, only to get dragged down beach(not real bad) as the kite still had mucho juice. The second time, i ran straight at kite to try to engage roll-over bridal as kite was getting blown down beach.
The whole thing was a bit dodgy. Two line depower flag out is pretty handy for relaunching in normal conditions but when overpowered and solo landing, in my opinion are quite dangerous.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:47 am

See below, posted double lol
Last edited by atomic-chomik on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Vertical- Did you ever test your quad bar single line flag out? I've had flag out issues with dual line, so I'd like to modify my bar. I'd also like to see some pics of your fifth line conversion.

Return to “Kitesurfing”