All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Cape Town kiters...what's going on at king of the air?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 am 
Medium Poster

Can some locals give us an update...

How is the winds ? picking up or still marginal ...
whats going on at king of the air/cape town...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Cape Town kiters.... what's going on at king of the air
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 am 
Medium Poster

It's been a very flaky season for wind in Cape Town this year. Luckily I'm not missing out much because I still recovering from an ankle injury on new years eve :P

There are only signs of SE returning next week but the forecast changes every day and its no where near the 30kn+ we usually get in February. The organisers are looking for at least 25 knots which I don't think is gonna happen because the forecasts have only been giving us 25 knots max. It's gonna have to be 12-14m kites and maybe split the event up over two days because the wind has only been coming up by 5PM lately.

Check out the ideal weather conditions for redbull king of the air article released today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:45 am 
Rare Poster

Yes conditions have been quite unusual and the opposite of what we normally experience this time of the year. Typically we get strong SE winds most days with a calm day in between here and there, at the moment it is the other way around, with many calm days and a windy day in between.
But I have a feeling the Doctor will visit soon and when he comes, it will be with a vengeance!
Current forecast looks good for next week Tuesday/Wednesday, but that could off course change as mentioned by Lanc.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

That sucks, if the wind is gonna be crap maybe they could sack it and get some kickers/sliders out there or do something different? Boosting and looping in light wind will be shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

25. Knots are for 18 sqm kites ;-)
Still good for a show! RB , fly me in ;-)

Let's hope for wind, still some time to go.
Will the window be extended?

Maybe someone didn't make the Greek gods happy....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:51 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

official press release from RB just came thru:

Good Morning All,

It seems the wind gods are not smiling on us yet as we're still waiting for the ideal weather conditions for Red Bull King of the Air to take place.
The window period continues until the 14th of February.

This morning the the official Red Bull King of the Air Windguru Station at Big Bay read:
Wind Speed: 7 knots, with 9 knot gusts
Wind Direction: NW
Wave Height:
2.2m
Swell Period:
13 seconds

For more information on the required weather conditions to run Red Bull King of the Air:
http://win.gs/1yFK9W8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

forecast doesn't show above 15 knots for the next week and a half. they are going to need wind on the last three days of their window the 11th thru the 14th or it will be a no go.

if there's no wind, there's no wind. If I were the event organizer I would extend the event window for another week. If film crews, or riders or sponsors have to leave too bad, you need wind to be king of the air. I would rather have an awesome event with a half dozen riders instead of a full event of two dozen guys popping some freestyle moves at 15 knots.

Post subject: Re: Cape Town kiters...what's going on at king of the air?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

in 25 knots they can still do a show. Just take a bigger kite and go.
With that wave as ramp, 15 m is possible. still high, still a show. better than nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

you can't put on a show at 15 to 20 knots. If they do that the competition is over, everyone goes home. You have to hold out until the last possible day, and if there's no wind on the last day just keep waiting. I don't need another video of guys ripping it up in 15 to 20 knots, I can go to my local launch and watch guys rip at those air speeds and it is not what red bull king of the air is all about. If they decide to hold a competition in 15 to 20 knots I will be very disappoint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

That should be a good lesson for RB. 15-25 Knots is perfectly legitimate. Anyone can do miracles with storm power in the bag; but light wind requires more refined skills, different equipment, a whole new set of skills, and maybe a new organizer! Sorry Robby, but your chioices haven't been the best lately. You did some momentous stuff for the sport but if you don't change, you don't have a future. Fly Toby in and at least let him put on a show. He's got sterling silver screen presence. Take inspiration from Arnie, yes I mean the former California governor.

[ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next