All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Freeride/boost/waves - Evo vs Dice vs Pivot vs Neo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 pm 
Rare Poster

I'm looking for a new quiver.

Currently I use 2012 and 2013 North Evo's - 9m, 12m, 14m. I'm 225 lbs and 6'1". I live in the Bay area and kite in 12kts to 30 kts of wind. I'm generally on my 12m in 18kts to 25kts and is my most used kite. I have only been on the 9m twice in up and down wind conditions, so it wasn't that great. Needless to say, it hasn't gotten a lot of use.

I have just finished my 2nd season and would say I'm an advanced beginner and moving into intermediate territory. Up wind is no problem, jumping more and more, riding toe side more consistently, and have nailed a few jibes on a surfboard (fell off about 30seconds after the successful completion of the jibe).

Anyway, my main riding right now is in the bay in choppy conditions and I ride a 137 TT or SS Space Pickle 5'0" surfboard. Riding focus is on freeride and boosting with the TT and I want to continue to improve my surfboard skills to hit the coast and not be chasing my board through the surf all the time.

I share this quiver with my wife - 110 lbs and she is still learning at this point. She can ride, but can't go upwind yet. The 2012/13 Evo's might be a little too grunty for her sometimes.

I'm considering 2014/2015 kites North Evo, Dice, Neo and Naish Pivot. I tried the F-one Bandit 7 and thought it was pretty good, but I would like something with the high flow inflate/deflate valve. I have not been able to demo the newer Evo's or Dice/Neo.

I'm looking for pros and cons to the mentioned kites or if I should consider something else as well.

Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Freeride/boost/waves - Evo vs Dice vs Pivot vs Neo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So you've tried the pivot. ??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:17 am 
Rare Poster

Westozzy wrote:
So you've tried the pivot. ??

I have not tried the Pivot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:17 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Well the main problem you have is all of those kites mentioned would do the job nicely. Although I'm a big north fan given your partner and all things considered my pick would be the pivot although the neo close second.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

http://switchkites.com/kites/method2.html. Great boosting freeride and wave , keeps nice linear power through the jibe, a quick starter, topnotch bombproof finish

http://switchkites.com/element3.html the more alround, in wave it is a tip Turner/fast..both same topnotch finishing

No risk, 30 days return policy...price is right...great support directly from manufacturer...
Now outletsale in the older models.. Element V2 in outlet is great kite too
Cheers
Dude :cool2:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yep and the switch kites as well for sure.

Some background...were were out on the last trip up north my mate was on his 9m 2014 dice. Came in a grabbed a buddies pivot 8m. Now this mate of mine has been riding for 12/13 years and he's a real fussy bastard, doesn't like change at all. We rode demos for four years before he swapped the dice for his wainmens. Anyhow he looked really at home on the pivot and when he came in he said, yep plug and play, decent hangtime, loops well and was decent in the waves (he took out back for a bit). He said nice kite, like it. He rarely says that mostly it's this or that..etc but nothing on the pivot was calmly impressed. Hence why I think it would serve you well for what you intend to do and would be a really stable easy to fly platform for your girl to progress on. The dice is not really a beginners kite but some would disagree (and they would be wrong), neos pretty specific although some are saying it jumps well (surf kite that jumps well...mmmm, also you have to remember its a kite you gotta change down at its top end, delta does that to kites, oops did I say delta, funny no one seems to wonder why you can put such a small kite up and have so much power....and the Evo is still a muscle kite relatively, a tamed down, more all round fuse...unfortunately :cry:

That's my call only though...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm 
Medium Poster

I have the pivots ! These are good in all sizes too ! My wainmans were only good in the punch and below. Even the 14m pivot is an incredible kite. The wind range is so big that im rarely on my 12m. Im 220lbs and the 14m works in place of my 2013 fatlady ! Im mostly strapless on tomo and firewire surfboards but when ive ridden twin tips with the kites at sherman island they jumped really good. Let you down soft. You can always feel where the kite is but it doesnt have heavy bar pressure. Drift and turn speed are both amazing. Usually a kite doesnt have all 3 of these. Drift/turn speed/good bar pressure. This kite does ! I sold my wainmans 2.0s and my fatlady and drifters to get these kites.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:40 pm 
Rare Poster

Everyone, thanks for the responses. Based on this thread and the others I've read, I need to demo the Neo and Pivot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 am 
Very Frequent Poster

g00mbs wrote:
Everyone, thanks for the responses. Based on this thread and the others I've read, I need to demo the Neo and Pivot.

Of the kites you mentioned I like the Pivot. I have not ridden the other ones enough to say much about them...but PIVOOOOT!!! :thumb:

[ 9 posts ]