Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Self Launch - Questions

Postby dt73775 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:05 am

I've done a couple of self launches with the style where I hook the bar to a carbineer , then set the kite on the edge of the wind window with a bag on the tip, walk back and hook in and wiggle the bag off and launch the kite.

Today, the wind was a little gusty so every time I walked back to the kite, it rolled and the bag came off and I had to run after the kite and set up again. I tried 3 times with the same result. I was thinking of putting more sand bags , but one time I did that and I couldn't launch the kite.
Any suggestions.....

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Self Launch - Questions

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 am

Why you using a sand bag is my first question?

dt73775
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alameda, Sherman
Gear: Bandit 4, Ozone V9

Postby dt73775 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:33 am

I put a sand bag on the wing tip so that the kite kinda stays in place . without any weight, the kite just rolls right away. Everyone there does it that way and so I just followed their way. It may have something to do with the launch site which is on a slope...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 am

Yeh must be something like that. We've tethered for years never used sandbags. Maybe don't panic if it comes off next time get to your bar hook in and go. If ya real worried set up another safety leash to your bar and anchor it the same place so if it does do funny things (I'm assuming you mean roll back) then it will just flag.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am

Depowering all the way?
Some kites behave better than others...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:24 pm

what everyone else said dont use a sand bag instead throw the bar all the way out

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:36 pm

I walk back holding the bottom front line. You can coax the kite back down if it starts to lift--you don't need to apply much pressure to do this.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Different kites are more stable than others in this kind of launch. In gusty winds mine will hop and try to launch forward. Others will fall back. A buddy can leave his and go for a snack, just sits there all day.

Mine was hopping like crazy yesterday in gusty 20-25kt with an 8m. I ended up using 2 bags, 1 near leading edge, 1 near wing tip. Had to pull pretty hard on top line to shake them off. Make sure bags are slippery material.

Usually you want kite at least 3/4 depowered, with bar all the way out.

As you walk back run your hand on top FLYING line. (to reach top line, grab canopy lines and pull down until you reach it). You can pull on that line to keep kite from hopping, falling back, or taking off. (NOT steering line!!!!! a buddy got this mixed up....and had some spectacular launch fails)

This may be controversial, but I think carabiner self launch is one place where it is ok to get a civilian passerby to help...put it in launch position, make sure stable, then "just hold this kite in place, let go when I tell you"...I give a little training on how to stay safe, only hold leading edge, do not touch any lines, just let go if you feel unsafe, where to move to get to safety, etc.

Our kiter buddies also help each other in iffy self launch situations, one launches, then holds down the other kite in self launch position with their kite in the air...I hate doing this, feels very sketchy.

Look up the Flysurfer Cronix self launch tool....i am thinking of adding something similar. ...tie bottom third of kite to a heavy object in front so it can't jump up or back. Attach a leash with a pull release to the connection. Once you are clipped in and ready to go, pull the line to release the tether, up the kite goes. It would be a pretty easy DIY project I think. Or arrive with friends and rig quickest, so you always get a launch. :lol:

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Why not drift launch ?
Why no help?
No people around to hold kite?
Gusty, sketchy and alone = disaster!
Don't use that idiotic self launch method .
Even guys with so called experience crashed and burned doing that stupid shit.
Stop it!
Makes me mad, sorry. It's just dumb.

Get your kite in the water, away from shit and do a water launch, if that's the way your spot is asking for.
If nothing else: set up a Go Pro and film your launch (Oh Oh), and share .. should be fun to watch ( and learn/teach) :thumb: Then take the sand bag and carabiner back to guy who sold it to you and ... well, you know.... :argue:

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:47 pm

I had a kite take off walking back on the top flying line and by the time I reached the bar it was way overhead out of my reach and the kite spectacularly impaled itself on some erosion control stakes.

Return to “Kitesurfing”