Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurf August in Soma Bay? Is a good month? Spot?

Forum for kitesurfers
alvahino
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Jericocuara, Dakhla, Coche, Zanzibar, Martinique
Style: freestyle
Gear: north!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurf August in Soma Bay? Is a good month? Spot?

Postby alvahino » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:29 pm

hi all

Can you help on this? Anyone have been in Soma bay in August? How is the wind there during this month? In Sharm el shake the wind in August only blows during the morning till noon, happens the same here?
Is a good place for beginners? My girlfriend just learned to ride upwind, could be a good place for her?
Would you recommend it?

So Many thanks

Al.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Kitesurf August in Soma Bay? Is a good month? Spot?

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Winds shoul be good in August.
Even if there is no wind in Hurghada area Soma Bay has some wind in the morning.

Wind is a bit gustier but nice flat water.
If she can stay upwind it is fine.

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 am

Hi,

since 3 years I am going to Soma Bay, always between July and September, 2 or 3 weeks.

It is my favourite Kitespot at the moment. I was lucky with the wind so far, out of 21 days always 17-19 perfect kite days. Some people told me, you might be unlucky and get 4-5 days without wind sometimes. Never happened to me though.

The wind is not that gusty, it is just on one side of the bay (turbulences from the kitehouse).

I can definitly recommend the 7 Bft Station, my exgf learned kiting there.

Actually all the Kite-teachers there are good guys, if you treat them with respect they will go the whole 9 yards to make you progress.
The beach boys are the same, very helpful.

Always keep in mind this is Egypt, where things are bit more relaxed and people rely on tips. A small tip here and there (1-2 Euro) for the beach boys in the morning or 10-20 Euro before a course to the kite teachers will not only be appreciated a lot, but also bring you a long way :-)

I always avoided to book a beach boy that takes care of me and my kites via the kite station, as I had the feeling the station already got their money for storage, courses etc.

I prefered to support the locals in a legit way, which is tips.
Of course the management would like it the other way round, so probably avoid giving them tips in front of everyone else, just take them to the side, have a 20 pound note in your hands and well, you know the rest :-)

For the hotel I would recommend the Breakers, which is very relaxed and really nice (just check the comments on tripadvisor etc. - quite a number of people like the hotel).
It is very private, chilled and relaxed.
Good service, it is more like an international hide-away, not Egyptian feel.

Diving is great at Breakers too (own reef/jetty), party is nice at the close Robinson Club, Golf and Wellness at the Cascades.

Great internet connection in the hotelroom (cable - if you need w-lan take a pocket router) and even in public areas the w-lan is quite usable for skyping etc.

alvahino
Rare Poster

Postby alvahino » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

So many thanks for your comments, so wind blows all day? Not only in the morning right?

Anyone has done the kite safari with Bigdayz?

So many thanks

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 am

No, the wind mostly blows from 6 AM to 1 or 2 PM and then depending on the day drops quickly or gets slowly less until 5 PM.

I only had 2-3 days where the wind blew longer than 1-2PM.

But it is really nice that way - grab a shuttle (free, every 30 min) ride 10 min to the beach (at 8.30), have a session of 2 hours, chill half an hour, another session of 2 hours, have lunch, go back to the hotel to chill or dive or sunbath, have dinner, chill or party and next day do the same :-)

alvahino
Rare Poster

Postby alvahino » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:40 am

So many thanks!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”