wetdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What type of lightwind board?

Postby wetdog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi guys,
I have a TT as my main board but as I live in an area (Central Europe) with mostly light to moderate winds I'd like to buy a LW board for my quiver.

Now, the question is what type of a board? The options, as I see them are:

1) Big TT
2) A "race" board such as RRD K-Free 60 and Airush Sector
3) A surfboard or Mako
4) Flysurfer Fkyracer
5) Anything else?

Can anybody please post the pro and cons of each option? As a former windsurfer I am looking at the RRD K-Free 60, but then again it's quite big to fit in the car... but I guess I would be able to ride in lighter winds than with a big TT/Flyracer (?) I'd also love to learn to ride waves on a surf board, but as the closest wave spot is 1000km away I don't think a surfboard for light winds + surf is really a good option for me right now.

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Re: What type of lightwind board?

Postby yuko » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Go for a Smaller Sector, not the 60, unless you're 200lb and more, the board is just amazing, fun, playfull, blasting around, had mine for 3 years and would probably never sell it.

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Forgot that, I am 200 Lbs.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Go for the Sector 60.

I had a sector, sold it, regret it ever since and am currently looking for another one.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:56 pm

5) Build or buy a foil...

wetdog
Medium Poster

Postby wetdog » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Foils are still way too expensive.

Litewave Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Litewave Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:40 pm

A big twintip is the easiest to ride, a hydrofoil goes in the lightest wind.
This is one I make that is popular, called the Wing
Attachments
carbonWING-161Top.jpg

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:16 am

A race board has a much better low end than a big TT. I have a Spleene Monster Door and a Sector 60. The Sector beats it hands down. I also recently picked up an Airush Cypher 5'10. It's very floaty and almost has the low end of the Sector but definitely doesn't come close to the Sectors upwind ability in very light winds. The Cypher's a lot more playful and more fun to ride. Never tried a foil.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:59 am

norcom wrote:A race board has a much better low end than a big TT. I have a Spleene Monster Door and a Sector 60. The Sector beats it hands down. I also recently picked up an Airush Cypher 5'10. It's very floaty and almost has the low end of the Sector but definitely doesn't come close to the Sectors upwind ability in very light winds. The Cypher's a lot more playful and more fun to ride. Never tried a foil.
Hydrofoil is the current lowest wind board.

rickydee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 260
Local Beach: Long Reef, Narrabeen
Favorite Beaches: Long Reef, Bournemouth, Fiji
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 9m, 12m, 14m, Ozone Zephyr, Flysurfer Speed 3 21m, Flydoor XL, Flyradical XL, Shinn Monk 142, OR Mako 165 & 150, Airush Slayer

Postby rickydee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 am

We get lots of light wind days here too. Over the years I have had, or currently have, the following for lighter winds:
    Nobile XTR. This was a 2007 143x48 I think. Was OK in lighter winds but with my 115kg frame it struggled in anything below 14 kts.
      Spleene Monster Door 164x50. This was a great board for light winds / flat water at the time (2008) but upgraded later to Flydoor which was in a different league. I'm sure the newer Doors will be better.
        Flydoor XL. This was version 3 (2011) was much lighter than the old Spleene and is still my goto in flat water and lighter winds. It feels much smaller than it is and is so comfortable and usable.
          Sector 60. I have a V2, a few years old now but this is probably the ultimate for lighter winds, but you do need to learn how to handle a directional and those fins are so long they are a liability when you are in shallow water, in weeds, or on the beach.
            Slayer 58 V2. Also a directional, great in light winds, almost as capable as the Sector in trucking upwind, but also ok in chop and waves. Wide and stable - great for learning strapless.
              Mako King. Brilliant board in chop and rough conditions. Not as good getting upwind as the Flydoor in really light winds, but lovely to use, very smooth.

I haven't tried the Litewave TT or the North Nugget directional which sounds great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”