Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What the deal with Core ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What the deal with Core ?

Postby Faxie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 am

PinkNorthPride wrote:
Starsky wrote:
I honestly have heard mostly good things about core, so not baggin on em, just pointing out that they are really not all that different from the next company.
Hmm, every person on the team a kiter? Not many companies can say that these days.

There are also some technically superior features of their kites, triple filament rip stop, same grain aligned multi panel segmented leading edge, built somewhere they look after their workforce not China. The Bar is probably the lightest on the market, I like that twist release system, like the colour scheme and I just like their whole deal. They are very different from the big corporates like Pryde/Cabrinha, North or Best who are just doing it for the money to please the shareholders..

Just scratch beneath the surface, there's lots cool about Core and compare to a Fuel, it's US Muscle car over European Hi Tech Engineering, Mustang v Audi R8, or Porche..
Well, Norths and Bests are built in the same factory ;)

And double/triple/quadruple etc ripstop is just a bunch of bullshit, but nice for sales. In a few years we'll have 20Xripstop, guess what? It's just heavier. :rollgrin: They're going the same way as the razor blade companies.

Not bashing them, still good kites, but really not that great compared to others.

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rotule » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:24 am

Faxie wrote: Not bashing them, still good kites, but really not that great compared to others.
To be honest I think nowadays all the kites are good, it's just a matter of finding the good one for you!

For now, I'm into the Xr3's because i feel they make me progress well and I love everything of this kite, But I completely understand someone who like another kite. If everyone would love the same kite, the sky would be all same color and everyone would have kinda the same style ;) I'm for diversity :thumb:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 am

PinkNorthPride wrote: Just scratch beneath the surface, there's lots cool about Core and compare to a Fuel, it's US Muscle car over European Hi Tech Engineering, Mustang v Audi R8, or Porche..

Well, not that kites and cars are much for comparison, but bullshit marketing is simply that and ubiquitous in the kite game, "Hi Tech" European brands included...... maybe even more so. (the fuel doesn't have the word precision currently on its manufacturers web page..... the GTS 3..... uses it three times on the same page)

My point was more that fuels have been at the very top of the performance game in THIS sport for going on 14? years and continue to be amongst kites that set a benchmark that all other kite companies/marketing departments emulate. I think we can all agree, Ferarri/Porche are kind of the simple icons of performance cars. Kites and cars are not comparable, but icons are. Not many car companies market their mustang like handling and precision feel! Core has a ways to go before they reach icon status in this sport and tho it might suit their marketing needs to claim European super car/kite engineering in their techno speak, simply marketing their hybrid as having a "future C Shape" and "C-kite feeling at its very best", does not make it a Porsche, I mean Ferrari, sorry, I mean C kite

When claiming both models they make as exceptional in all facets of the sport and touting engineering feats that have been standard equipment since the first Legaignoux patents, its hard to think of them as anything more than a pretty fast Honda that only comes in one paint job.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:42 am

Great post Starsky, as usual. :thumb:

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Postby MACTNKA » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 pm

To Starsky and all the other analogical, no fact, comparison bashing people with too much time on their hands.... I challenge you to show me a photo of a lower megaloop than Steven Akkersdjik's on the Core GTS 2. A picture is worth a thousand words!So save your words and prove your point. You want precision, it's hard to imagine any trick involving a kite more precise than a megaloop. You want speed, make the megaloop as low as possible before it catches you back up. You want stability, reliability, intuitive and forgiving kite? Get a Core! (I agree they lack bling though)
Attachments
456578875_640.jpg
456578875_640.jpg (73.87 KiB) Viewed 1523 times

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 pm

MACTNKA wrote:To Starsky and all the other analogical, no fact, comparison bashing people with too much time on their hands.... I challenge you to show me a photo of a lower megaloop than Steven Akkersdjik's on the Core GTS 2. A picture is worth a thousand words!So save your words and prove your point. You want precision, it's hard to imagine any trick involving a kite more precise than a megaloop. You want speed, make the megaloop as low as possible before it catches you back up. You want stability, reliability, intuitive and forgiving kite? Get a Core! (I agree they lack bling though)
I'm not sure I see the connection between a pro level rider looping and the average kiter riding in various everyday conditions?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:55 pm

http://youtu.be/ITXODxqEXRM

Sorry its video, but its always nice to know they land it.

That is an awesome shot you posted and pretty top tier when it comes to kite loop shots. The vantage point with table mountain backdrop frames it as good as it gets.

Not sure what you would like as fact, its a subjective topic but:

Fact: KOTA was won the past two years by different riders on the same iconic C kite.

Fact: Ruben pioneered the megaloop for years on another iconic C kite, switched brands and still rides a signature C kite.

Total non fact: You go to any of the major kite spots on the planet, poll the local hotshots to rate a torch, a fuel, a harlow pro, and a GTS3 in order of legacy in the sport and I bet the only predictable result is that the GTS3 finishes last.

Your right about the too much time on my hands too!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:32 pm

pmaggie wrote:Now there's the new bar that works like a standard 4 lines "Y" but flags on a single line if you hit the QR, I think it's a real innovation.
You know this is how almost all flagging systems work now, right? :wink:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 am

After wanting to try the GTS2 for a while a friend of mine who sells them left me a demo for a few days cant wait to try it really stoked. I ride Vegas for 2 years so should be interesting. Will give a little review when I am done.

Return to “Kitesurfing”