What the deal with Core ?

forum for kitesurfers

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: Harding Beach, Herring Cove, First Encounter, La Boquilla
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S3 19 m and 12 m DLX, S4 10 m and 8 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 and 12 m, Door XL, FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 4.5 Hydrofoil with AFB 50 board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What the deal with Core ?

Postby Johhnn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm

I have the Riot XR3 12 m. Works very well for me. I am not a beginner--kiting for 12 years now. Not a megalooper either, though! I got the kite on the recommendation of a school. Since there are so many brands out there and they are all based on a very similar design, it didn't make much difference to me.

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Postby MACTNKA » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I have a theory about the core kites and beginners as I am one. I feel they are easy to use, and much safer than other kites I tried(german built;). Other than that, they do stick out like a sore thumb so thats why you notice the rookies on them more!

Faxie
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m
Switch Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m
SS Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5
Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek
Shinn Shinnster
Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None (well, got my preferences, but arent' getting any money :( )

Postby Faxie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Well built, among the best. Only available in white/yellow.

But I really don't like the bar, with the auto-swivel and the new completely unnecessary and overcomplicated safety system. And a twist QR is very nice when you're unhooking, not. :rollgrin:

Way too expensive as well for what you're getting. But you're premium or not offcourse. :rollgrin:

In the Netherlands they're mostly asociated with 'Germans with s-h-i-t for brains'. (Cabrinha's as well, but not as much as Core)

And the new GTS3 is a step back in my opinion... bridle pulley's and canopy battens? ... Those are used to cover up bad design if you ask me.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby eree » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Faxie wrote:...And the new GTS3 is a step back in my opinion... bridle pulley's and canopy battens? ... Those are used to cover up bad design if you ask me.

in that case you need whole lot of pulleys and battens to cover up switch kites ... design...

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 pm

flysurfing wrote:Hello All,

.... but personally i found their design absolutely terrible, but this is a personal preference.

Cheers

Just curious...what do you mean ...that their "design (is) absolutely terrible"?

Faxie
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
SS Fuel 2005
Shinn Shinnster
Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None (well, got my preferences, but arent' getting any money :( )

Postby Faxie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:00 pm

eree wrote:
Faxie wrote:...And the new GTS3 is a step back in my opinion... bridle pulley's and canopy battens? ... Those are used to cover up bad design if you ask me.

in that case you need whole lot of pulleys and battens to cover up switch kites ... design...

I'm aware of your opinion. And the rest of the people on this forum as well. :rollgrin:

Faxie
Frequent Poster
SS Fuel 2005
Shinn Shinnster
Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:06 pm

robertovillate wrote:
flysurfing wrote:Hello All,

.... but personally i found their design absolutely terrible, but this is a personal preference.

Cheers

Just curious...what do you mean ...that their "design (is) absolutely terrible"?

Ugly I think :P

dazarter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: kiel
Style: freeride
Gear: naish park 7 m airush Lithium 9 qm Gaastra pure 2016 13 qm
crazy fly seaflight

Postby dazarter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:02 pm

I live in Germany, and yes they are very popular over here….expensive too, it is impossible to go kiting without seeing the yellow - white kites in the sky. They seem to be really ok, a few friends have them with not quality issues at all. I personly think all kites over 500 euro are too expensive thats why i stick to the second market and stay with brands like takoon, Gaastra, airush and slingshot (older models). Would try a core but the prices are like BMW they stay high…..As long as the beaches are not just yellow and white I'm happy…after all there are more colors in the rainbow…. :lol:

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Any gear is good gear as long as it has nothing to do with EPIC!

Postby alexeyga » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:51 pm

From my limited experience with XR3 I was rather impressed with the quality of these kites. No current kite company on market, besides - perhaps - Cabrinha, can match it. Flying-wise, it was - what I would call - a perfect Cabrinha without, however, being anything more. A good, solid, average kite for an average Joe who doesn't have enough imaginations/balls to go exploring other brands.

The only con I could speak of - is the inflation valve. Although it is probably the simplest and the most robust one across the industry to this day, a separate (attached by a piece of rope) part that you have to plug in the valve to deflate the kite... well... there's a certain lack of elegance... for a German - made product... if you see what I mean?

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Stupid post try their kites before you talk bad about them, guy probably can't even kite. They make great products.

Return to “Kitesurfing”