All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Problems with Liquid Force NRG - Please help!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm 
Medium Poster

First off, I love this kite. That being said, for some reason the the kite wingtip when used to steer is collapsing. Obviously this makes the kite fly awfully. I have the kite pumped up to 10 PSI so I can't think of any other reason for this. BTW. the kite is a 2013.

Here is a link to a video demonstrating the issue... http://youtu.be/6KZjJ1NKwHE

Thanks any input would be greatly appreciated.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Problems with Liquid Force NRG - Please help!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:05 pm 
Medium Poster

Have you checked the bladder in any way? Look for tiny air leaks on the wingtips.
Can you check the air pressure after 30 and 60 minutes and see if its holding?

It should not do what its doing in the video, I could understand in mid air as it gets twisted around supporting your full body weight, but you should not be able to bend the wingtips with your hand so easily. Was it always like that? I cannot do that with mine when I pump it up and I do not go to 10 PSI (I guess since I dont have a digital gauge).

I also own a 2013 12m NRG, love the kite, no issues with it altho my 16m started having a similar wingtip issue before I discovered an air leak. The inability to maintain air pressure manifested itself at the wingtips first as the center of the LE was hard and both tips felt soft. Explore it altho its by no means 100% this is the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:13 pm 
Rare Poster

The bladder could be slightly twisted at the point where the LE is bending. Even if it's not losing air, it could have a weakness due to the twist. You could try removing the leading edge bladder and re-inserting it carefully to avoid any twists. Hopefully, that will help.

10 psi is a lot for an NRG. I have the same kite, and I pump it to 6 psi without having the problem you've described. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:16 pm 
Medium Poster

The kite does this right after I launch so I'm sure that it's not a pressure problem. That is a great suggestion to check if the bladder is twisted. I will check it and report my findings.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 pm 
Rare Poster

bladder twist +1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i dont think it's a bladder twist you would see a wrinkle in the leading edge fabric where the half twist is. When he picks up the kite wingtip you see the fabric is smooth. I don't think the kite in the video is at 10psi. 10psi is a lot, you have to put your entire body weight into the pump

also it is incredibly unlikely that the wingtips fold at the exact same place left and right, that would require double bladder twists at the exact same place in the leading edge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 pm 
Medium Poster

My guess would be a guess at best, so I am not to comment on the reason.

I did want to suggest talking to a kite repair center and have them check the Dacron on the leading edge for wear. In your video, it looked like the fabric was getting quite worn \ creased where the wingtips are folding in. Could be something worth looking at before your LE pops and you're without your favorite kite for a bit.

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:00 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. The kite has been babied and is in good shape except for where the leading edge has been folding. I contacted Liquid force customer support, I will keep you all advised on how that goes....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:02 am 
Frequent Poster

my GUESS is that it is not pumped up enough. I know you said it was to 10 but that is almost impossible to do with a hand pump. If you are using a gauge, stop and after you think it is right ask a good kiter on the beach if it is pumped enough. Or find one of those new electric 2 stage pumps and set it to 62kPa (9 psi) and see if has the same feel. those things are more accurate. or not….

does it fold easily at other places along the leading edge? or just the two spots you showed?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

How about the bridles?Can you check to see if they're within spec? My old big mama does this all the time, just figured it was old and worn out, your kite is too new to be flying bad.

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next