All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Vacuum Seal Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey, I see a lot of people are saving space with vacuum sealing kites in bags. Is this save to do to the kite? Any tips/cautionary components? Also which types of bags work?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Vacuum Seal Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

Git the kite specific o es for kiters by kiters....kiters kiters kiters. They cost 4 x as much as well. Go for it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:35 am 
Rare Poster

flyingweasel wrote:
Git the kite specific o es for kiters by kiters....kiters kiters kiters. They cost 4 x as much as well. Go for it!

Kiddies - get your fingers off from drugs :jump:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 am 
Rare Poster

If I need to, i use them. Makes the package really small. I would not keep the kites too long in the bags.
Pay attention if using Naish kites with the Octopus system. I damaged one with the bags. Should not be a problem with the standard one pump solutions from other brands though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Skip the bags and just learn to fold your kites small.
The bags get holes in them easily and you'll find yourself looking for pinholes and patching your bags.
Plus, what do you do if airport security inspects your bag and opens the vacuum bags? They have to be able to get your gear back in so it might as well fit to begin with.
I tried it for a while. Much more trouble than it is worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:01 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you have lots of kites and want to fit everything in one bag, then the best way to pack your kites in your golf bag will be to use some of the cheap Seal Bags or Vacuum Bags it is all the same.
You can find these bags on the internet or at any stores such as Kmart, Wallmart, and so on.... Make sure to get the XL or L bags. They cost around $17 for a pack of 3 or 4 of these bags.

P.S. Oh and by the way make sure not to Vacuum Bag the dog.

Attachments:
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 761.94 KIB | Viewed 965 times ]
photo 1 copy.JPG
photo 1 copy.JPG [ 757.37 KIB | Viewed 965 times ]
photo 2 copy.JPG
photo 2 copy.JPG [ 792.95 KIB | Viewed 965 times ]
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 828.41 KIB | Viewed 965 times ]

Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 pm 
Rare Poster

IKEA have cheap bags

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 pm 
Medium Poster

Walmarted ... packed a 17 / 12 / 8 in a naish golf bag with board, pads, harness, two bars, lifejacket, pump, 2mm shorty, and a helmet.

No amount of "learn to fold" would get the same result IMO.
Cost me about 12 bucks for 4 bags.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm 
Rare Poster

I tried it couple of times. It is useful when you have to pack a lot of equipment in small size bags - especially when flying with Ryan or Wizz. I works fine, nothing ever happened but you should pack it well. And in case of any problems on the airport you can always pack it again using kitepump - no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 pm 
Medium Poster

I've tried the 'space bag' vacuum bags. While they worked (once); they're flimsy shit and easily get pinholes, rendering them useless.

You know what works just as well or better at a fraction of the cost? Kitchen garbage bags, or whatever, and a vacuum (or kitepump if you want to work your back and abs).

1. 1. Stick a sock on the end of the vacuum hose, put it into the bag opening with the edge of the sock inside the edge of the bag.
  2. 2. Hold the sock/hose combo from outside the bag and give it a couple twists to seal the bag against the hose (above the sock).
  3. 3. Evacuate the air (being careful not to apply too much vacuum that it could break the strut leads or stretch the canopy around the plastic parts).
  4. 4. Twist the bag some more until the twist is below the end of the vacuum hose, remove the hose (you may lose the sock inside the bag, just make sure the sock isn't in the middle of your twist), and tie a knot. Done.

Same effect with a more resilient material, just as easy to do, and a fraction of the price.

If you want to make sure that everything stays compact even if the bag gets a hole, you can wrap some tape around it.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next