Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ideas for shorter stroke on bar

Forum for kitesurfers
flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ideas for shorter stroke on bar

Postby flipper231 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 am

kite252 wrote:Seat harness for her will make a huge difference just having the hook lower on her body. I also found some spreader bar hooks are larger than others, for example dakine has a big hook, where Mystic or NP has a smaller on which will in effect bring everything closer as well. Cabrinha makes a women's bar with a smaller loop and extenders on the trim straps that make them easier to reach that helps too, it can be flown on any 4 line kite, but I guess doesn't help much with a 5 line rebel...
I prefet this solution as moving the cleat gives you less travel but more trimline space. So if she ends up with the bar against the cleat, you need to depower . But the stroke has still been shortened. Wat can be done is to use a tiny shackle, attache it tio a rope with a ball at one end, slide it through plastic tubing and attach your shacke to the existing velcro loop... Of course the best would be to attach a piece of rope in tubing to your existing depower rope and put the velcro loop at the end of this. The tubing is there foe rigidity si it is easy to grab and does not dangle too much.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 pm

did you look at a women's specific bar? Like the Siren 1X bar. It says its specifically designed shorter for women, but im not sure if its specifics include what youre looking for

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/controlsys ... siren.html

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:21 am

shawn13 wrote:did you look at a women's specific bar? Like the Siren 1X bar. It says its specifically designed shorter for women, but im not sure if its specifics include what youre looking for

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/controlsys ... siren.html
Don't waster your money on those bricks. Cabrinha bars weigh a TON, heard from a few customers that they even won't float in fresh water.

My gf is the same height and rides the same gear you do. She doesn't normally have a problem unless the gusts are big. I do sometimes wish North offered a smaller chicken loop as a retrofit for women.

Like people have said before.

-2:1 systems are pretty sweet and easy to adjust. Plus you can always keep the trim strap in your hand if you aren't doing freestyle and unhooked stuff.
-Waist harness is an option

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 pm

I have significantly shortened the chicken loop on both my bars to accomodate my amsteel sliding hook. The safety's are unaffected. Both are older Slingshot bars with the red knob release.

Rorke
Frequent Poster

Postby Rorke » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:54 pm

The only way possible for shorter throw to achieve the same amount of kite depower as full length throw (without using the actual depower) is....
- Use a 2:1 bar

There are a few ways to get the bar closer to the rider, but throw remains the same....
- Smaller Chicken Loop
- Seat harness
- some brands have a shorter quick release than others

I read a while back that the strutless Cloud has what some called "on/off power" because so much depower came from minimal throw. Some riders said they just had to get used to moving the bar less, then they like it. When I hear that, I thought it would really appeal to riders with a shorter reach.
Never seen or ridden.

Xor
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SF Bay area: 3rd ave, Alameda, Sherman Island
Gear: Boardriding Maui Clouds D2E: 13.4 all the way to 2.2m
DIY Pocket foil board, Moses 679/400, Project Cedrus Mast

Postby Xor » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Rorke wrote:I read a while back that the strutless Cloud has what some called "on/off power" because so much depower came from minimal throw. Some riders said they just had to get used to moving the bar less, then they like it. When I hear that, I thought it would really appeal to riders with a shorter reach.
Never seen or ridden.
I own 7m cloud c2 and can confirm that from sweet spot it is short throw for depower/oversheet, but you need your throw to handle gusts/lulls anyway.
I'm waiting for what Greg Drexler (Designer of Clouds/Paipo) is coming with as bar system, you can check limited information available on this page: http://boardridingmaui.com/connection-system.html

Return to “Kitesurfing”