All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Never too cool for a helmet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:42 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Got macked by a chest-high great lakes washermachine slop monster on my strapless and 6m.
The next one came behind on a 6 second period and slammed the 6'-2" squarely on my skull.
VERY glad I was wearing my Gath...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Never too cool for a helmet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yep. ive gotten a minor concussion from being hit by a surfboard before, very not fun.

i dont wear a helmet when kiting because i don't have a board that can hit me in the head, but i've definitely strapped one on the last few days hitting sliders. hitting the water is one thing but getting clocked by a pipe is another

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:36 am 
Rare Poster

Took a whiplash , head first into the water the other day. Gath helmet with ear flaps. Know from the speedpuck on the board deck moments before that I was doing 22 knots off the breeze on foil. Hit the water so hard I thought I had a concussion. Wondered if maybe the helmet made the impact seem greater in that instance? All I hit was water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

SpunMonkey wrote:
Took a whiplash , head first into the water the other day. Gath helmet with ear flaps. Know from the speedpuck on the board deck moments before that I was doing 22 knots off the breeze on foil. Hit the water so hard I thought I had a concussion. Wondered if maybe the helmet made the impact seem greater in that instance? All I hit was water

this came up on another forum (that toby doesn't allow naming) recently, the general consensus was that the increased surface area and the increased buoyancy makes your chances of getting a concussion higher, as long as you're just hitting the water. when you hit the water you dont get a concussion from the impact, it comes from your brain slamming into your skull as you stop moving. and the helmet causes it to stop more abruptly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dyyylan wrote:
i dont wear a helmet when kiting because i don't have a board that can hit me in the head,

Hahahaha.... do you kite barefoot? if not then you have a board that can it you in the head! even if it is strapped to your legs in boots!...

What about being lofted and dragged into something head first? its not only the board that can hit you! the ground or anything standing in your path can smash your head!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:49 am 
Medium Poster

where the best place to buy helmets?....most stores have limited selections and then when you order on-line...it never fits well. I have a Protec that's fits horribly that's why I don't wear it, but I agree we should all wear helmets. Had a close call with a wind surfer who was moving so fast and we both changed down wind to avoid each other. Missed skulls by inches. I'll wear the Protec again but need a better fitting one...and cooler looking too . Would a snowboard helmet work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

U can use a snowboard helmet. been looking at the gloss blue sandbox wake helmet that might be my next one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dyyylan wrote:
the general consensus was that the increased surface area and the increased buoyancy makes your chances of getting a concussion higher

Consensus of whom? This is a really good opportunity to qualify who the consensus came from.

If the consensus came from people who have not actual expertise about the subject matter, then it counts for just about nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dyyylan wrote:
... the general consensus was that the increased surface area and the increased buoyancy makes your chances of getting a concussion higher, ...

I Don't wear a helmet because i'm afraid my head might hit the water
I wear a helmet because i'm afraid my head might hit something Solid ,
like the bottom of the lake, a rock ,a boat, my board ...

A guy got Killed at Mohave, because his head, it hit something harder than
his head , and once again : "Now he's Dead" ; he Wasn't wearing a helmet !!
He was also a world-class martial artist ; and even with his world-class reflexes ,
he's Still Dead .

That feeling Ya got : "it won't ever happen to Me" ; it can and might very well , Will .

There was about 40 motorcycle deaths in Las Vegas last year ; most of them
were young people that "Thought" they couldn't Die , (Google it).
Ya get it Now ?

Bille

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:49 am 
Rare Poster

I've also been clocked in the back of my head with my surfboard and thankfully been wearing a helmet. While it might have only caused a lemon sized lump (or a nasty gash) if i hadn't been wearing it, that one random moment alone makes the rest of the time worth wearing a helmet.

It only takes one stupid instant to get knocked out and drown.

Try on a bunch of helmets to see what fits, and don't worry too much about what cool looks like. Or start designing cool looking helmets for watersports ... i think i saw a thread for that around here..

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next