Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Fatality in Long Island, NY

Postby edt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:34 am

Dave_5280 wrote:This article says there have been15 financial executive deaths recently.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-2 ... g-accident
I'll raise you with a debunker link

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/03/03/why ... in-droves/

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:21 am

edt wrote:
Dave_5280 wrote:This article says there have been15 financial executive deaths recently.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-07-2 ... g-accident
I'll raise you with a debunker link

http://skeptoid.com/blog/2014/03/03/why ... in-droves/
Bankers having taken down the world economy down a spiral have billions reasons to wipe themself off the surface of the earth... not much conspiracy there....

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:23 am

KWK wrote:Sad news. Not much detail yet on what happened.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-2 ... -dead.html
All my respect for the family and close friends

AlterEgo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: World
Favorite Beaches: World
Style: Freestyle and Waves
Gear: North Rebel
Been thanked: 0

Postby AlterEgo » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Bile, in case your confused, this is a forum for athletes. Not for those who fly a wing and who look around, pull left, look around, pull right, look around some more, pull left, look around even more, pull left, pull right [repeat ad nauseum]. Although pulling with both hands is something you seem to enjoy.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Can this thread be locked?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Still hoping for more info about the actual cause, since the conditions sound safe.

Could one really drown in this light wind wen tangled up?
I assume his kite was not small, so a death loop in this wind shoul not be possible.

This topic should not be turned into a anti bankers flaming.
Wrong forum. Please respect the victim.

Thanks!

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Toby wrote:Still hoping for more info about the actual cause, since the conditions sound safe.

I assume his kite was not small, so a death loop in this wind shoul not be possible.

Thanks!
pretty hard to die this way toby when it's blowing about 8 knots. A woman in the midwest here was in her first year about 2-3 years ago got her feet tangled in the lines in lake erie and started to get blown offshore. She was completely helpless, wrapped up in the lines. But the wind was light so she was able to keep her head above water and got rescued out a mile or two from shore but I think she could have made it all the way to canada in a day or two if she had not been found right away because she was wearing flotation. Now of course you won't be able to resist the power of the kite, even at 8knots the kite is gonna pull you downwind, so if you just relax and wait until you reach the other side it should be ok. Once you get above 18 knots then it is pretty easy to die this way. I think we will find out what happened eventually maybe he tripped and fell on his head, maybe he got wrapped in his lines and instead of waiting to get blown to shore he paniced and so exhausted himself he drowned.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:53 pm

edt wrote:
Toby wrote:Still hoping for more info about the actual cause, since the conditions sound safe.

Thanks!
pretty hard to die this way toby when it's blowing about 8 knots. A woman in the midwest here was in her first year about 2-3 years ago got her feet tangled in the lines in lake erie and started to get blown offshore. She was completely helpless, wrapped up in the lines. But the wind was light so she was able to keep her head above water and got rescued out a mile or two from shore but I think she could have made it all the way to canada in a day or two if she had not been found right away because she was wearing flotation. Now of course you won't be able to resist the power of the kite, even at 8knots the kite is gonna pull you downwind, so if you just relax and wait until you reach the other side it should be ok. Once you get above 18 knots then it is pretty easy to die this way. I think we will find out what happened eventually maybe he tripped and fell on his head, maybe he got wrapped in his lines and instead of waiting to get blown to shore he paniced and so exhausted himself he drowned.
It wasn't 8 knots all day, I would have gone kiting earlier in the day but wind direction was offshore for my local spot. I live close to the bay and it was blowing about 20 mph. Napeague sensor hit about 17 but where he was kiting might have been a little higher.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:28 pm

William Munney wrote: It wasn't 8 knots all day, I would have gone kiting earlier in the day but wind direction was offshore for my local spot. I live close to the bay and it was blowing about 20 mph. Napeague sensor hit about 17 but where he was kiting might have been a little higher.
thanks william. i looked at the wind sensors and it didnt seem to be much above 8 knots all day. this would explain it then.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Bille wrote:
AlterEgo wrote:Billie, the point Stafford was trying to make is the same as your dumbass gunshot theory. If Valtz died of a heart attack or gunshot then it would not really be a kite accident and it would not have mattered if he was kiting alone. Isn't Billie a girls name?
I'm sorry that you Don't have the cognitive resources to realize , that if
he Did have a heart-attack while kite boarding "Alone" ; CPR most certainly, ( Could have)
brought him back , if administered with-in a few minutes
AND IF
he had bin kiting with a Buddy who knew How to give the life-saving technique !!

You spelt my user-name Wrong ; who's the Dumb-ass now ?

Bille
Bille. I respect you but I think your missing the point.

No one is saying kiting alone is not dangerous. They are saying that they assess the risk and do it anyway.

I guess the question is this. What is the actual risk of kiting alone? Personally I think it is quite low and worth the risk. Considering 9 times out of 10 you couldn't be saved by a buddy who was also kiting near by. Kiting alone risk is not much worse than kiting with others.

Now there is greater actual risk driving to the beach to kite. The likely hood of dieing in a car accident is far greater.

If we draw a comparison between kiting and driving. Is it safer to drive in pairs than solo? yes probably is. Just in case the driver has a heart attack the passenger can perhaps control the car and do cpr and save the guys life!.

But do we always drive with others? No it is not practical to do so.

You can mitigate risk as much as practical. But you should not let it rule your life. After all life is for living.

Return to “Kitesurfing”