Gear: Naish Torchs 12 /9 2010
Airush Razor 7m
Slingshot Fuel 5m
Clash 136
Brand Affiliation: None

Help with Backmobe Trick

Postby joandani » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have started kiting several years ago, and since 3 years ago I think I almost have the backmobe.

Sometimes landed it, but rarely.
I land the trick with the board, but i never catch the bar, I let everytime one second before in the air the bar instinctively, and I dont know why my body has this memory error.

A few sessions ago, I have noticed that if when I start the trick (kite at 30º or 40º), and get out of the pop, I steer the kite with the fronthand, sending the kite down, it is easier to pass the bar. Is it possible?
Because it is a little bit difficult to do that because when you do the handle pass, you only let the rear hand on the bar, and so the kite will go up, difficulting the pass... but in pro videos, you can see how they do backmobes and the kites goes down, and normally, leting the rear hand on the bar before catching the bar with the front one, the kite would go up, not down... I dont know how they do that... they put hands inverted? XD
I hope you will understand what I mean... another thing to help this may be connect the lines to the kite in a heavier bar pressure?

Any more tips to help with passing the bar in the air?

Thanks very much.
Last edited by joandani on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help with Backmobe Trick

Postby speedyRider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Hey joanda! almost same problem but i have in my mind clear what is needed (i think)...ive noticed same thing: its good (with all powered handle passes) to steer it down to help passing the bar. So while im loading for the pop and after take-off im pulling the front hand so if the kite goes somewhere it is down and not up. This is important thing.

When you are pulling you are also pulling yourself to the bar (notice that i say you pull yourself to the bar and not the bar to you). Pull yourself while you are in the air to the toeside position (bring back knee to bar and back hip to bar).

Let go of front hand VERY LATE. This is very important too in the backmobe. Dont let go too soon. Now after letting the hand go keep looking over the front shoulder to complete the (2nd) rotation. At least you should land back to wrapped like this. Passing it in the air its a matter of doing it higher and faster and a bit more commitment

A muelte!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 pm

speedyRider wrote: Let go of front hand VERY LATE
Think this is part i've been struggling with too, not pulling the bar into my hip enough and letting go too early.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Dont let go of the hand until you are in the air in the toeside position with your hip near your bar. Easier said than done!

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

speedyRider wrote:Dont let go of the hand until you are in the air in the toeside position with your hip near your bar. Easier said than done!
Too right.... the theory's the easy part!

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 pm

the tip about pulling yourself to the bar all the way through the trick is a good tip.... imagine you are doing a pull up on a static bar... this helps to get you moving towards the kite as you come out of the first back roll.

Another tip that helps is to throw your feet up and over towards the kite... it all helps to get your momentum moving towards the kite as you go for the pass.

Let go late... also a good tip.

Also, make sure you are well powered... I think they are much harder underpowered.

You can try doing them of small kickers which will make passing the bar easier but also easier to over rotate and land on your face :)

I've been doing back mobes for years but I definitely find them easier on some kites than others... A kite that wants to sit back in the window can give you more pop but can be harder to pass the bar because it will keep pulling through the trick. A kite that wants to hunt forwards will give less pop but will give you more slack when it comes to passing the bar. The Hadlow Pro kite was amazing for back mobes... you could edge as hard as you could and get huge pop off it, but it sort of opened up and slackened off for the pass. The early RPM's were really hard to mobe because they just kept pulling... I think they're different now. I'm currently flying Adikites Axis (which you probably haven't heard of) and I'm stoked with their mobability :)

joandani
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona)
Style: Old School / New School / Surf strapless
Gear: Naish Torchs 12 /9 2010
Airush Razor 7m
Slingshot Fuel 5m
Clash 136

Postby joandani » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:21 am

Thanks very much for all the tips men!

I will try again next session and when I will nail it, I will post my tips that helped me to get it.

But I actually think I do the movements correctly, and I think the key will be only wait one more second the bar with the rear hand, just waiting that the other hand arrives and take the bar with both hands on it, just for a moment, and finally let the rear hand of the bar.
It sounds so easy... XD

Thanks to everyone.
Last edited by joandani on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:07 am

skyte wrote:. The early RPM's were really hard to mobe because they just kept pulling... I think they're different now.
Yep that's what i'm on...09's and 10's.

Alfarosi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels (Barcelona-Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Castelldefels (Spain) - Tarifa (Spain) - Cotillo (Spain) - La Palme (France) - Dakhla Lagoon (Morocco) - Safety Bay (Australia) - Woodman Point (Australia)
Style: Freestyle - Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Fuel & RPM 2011 and North Team Series 2011

Postby Alfarosi » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Oh my god! :lol:

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sijandy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Alfarosi wrote:Oh my god! :lol:
This in ref to rpm comment above...? They that bad or something?

Return to “Kitesurfing”