Local Beach: Milicin
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: None.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chile Matanzas - kite size?

Postby sanscullot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:13 am

Hi guys!

I am planning to go to Chile - Matanzas - Pichilemu etc.

I am looking for some info about the wind. How many knots can i expect? Will be Airush Varial 10 2014 too much for a waveriding or not?

I reached info about wind reaching max 25 -30knots and riding 5 and 7m kites in the other hand too - so i am a bit confused :)

what kite size have you been riding there and where?

I will be there whole september and i weight 90kg.

greets

Petr

johan_
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chile Matanzas - kite size?

Postby johan_ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi.

I was there with a friend last December - January for 4 weeks.
We used 7m and 5m, and only used the 9m a few times when we went out before the wind picked up proberly.

We were told that there were always more wind in Matanzas.
But we had some really good days at Infernillio in pichelemu.

The best spot in Matanzas is about 2km up the beach and call Roca Quadrada, you need a 4x4 to get there. Or do a small upwinder from La Boca.
We where a lot of days here, it was a really nice wave and in the week days we were max 5 people there.

In topacalma the wind was crazy when we were there, so we didn't try it.
We were told the wind is best morning and evening.
I think its the same in Matanzas city, morning/noon or evening. The wind is off shore and unstable in the afternoon imo.

Just ask if you need other info or tips.

mr curly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: colac bay new zealand
Style: wave riding
Gear: north

Postby mr curly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:53 pm

hi petr.
I was in mantanzas in November for about three weeks and used my 7m every day except one when I was on a 9m. it gets very windy there and I would of used a 5m if I had one, but I am only 70kg. the square rock is a great place to ride - big solid waves, strong wind, not too many people and lots of dolphins. wind direction is cross on so you have to fly your kite a lot. I stayed at a great place called Maria y Veinto which is at las brisas, about 2-3kms upwind from the break. each morning I would just walk onto the beach, pump up my smallest kite, which was a 7m, and tack up to the point and kite my brains out. I would always try to be back in my room by mid afternoon because by then the wind was too strong for my 7m and the house I stayed at would be shaking. a fun place.

johan_
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby johan_ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:10 am

mr Curly youre right, the small "town" upwind is las brisas :)

i used a surfboard leash at la roca quadrada, because when you f*** up the board gets really easy in to a mix of rocks and sea weed that looks like bob marleys hair. And from that place it easily get dangeous with the cliffs and upgoing winds.

btw. Landings on the beach can be pretty scetchy, the area were its possible to get in is very small and with hassards.

But it's all worth it, the wave was so nice, and i had so much quality time there.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

I will be from 6 - 16 October 2017 in Chile.
I intend to kitesurf if I can guess the place for kiterental, wind and some infrastructure. Could you help me with that?
1. I wont carry my equipment so a rental is a must.
2. What`s the suggested spot: La Serena, Matanzas, Pichilemu?????
3. I will be with my mother, she is 65yo so I need some infrastructure for her to chillout.

Plz I count on your info.

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Hey guys, im from chile if anyone needs help with anything.

sanscullot: if you are 90 kg the 10m should be fine, it can get very windy but september is the start of the season so it shouldnt be a problem. now about the spots, if you are looking just waveriding Roca Cuadrada (Matanzas) as it has been stated previously is the best place to go, the landing and launching can be a little bit tricky because of the windshadow but it should not be a problem if you are a good rider. I must say that waves can get pretty big over there. The other spot you HAVE to check out in matanzas is Pupuya, it has one of the best quality of wind there is around, very consistent and powerfull so really good to practice big airs (lots of kickers).

Now about pichilemu, it is mostly world known because of its surf but it can also be kited. Mostly in "infernillo" as it was stated before but the chances of it getting wind are far less than anywhere in matanzas.

anything else dont hesitate on contacting me.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Cristiano_Leandro wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:02 pm

sanscullot: if you are 90 kg the 10m should be fine, it can get very windy but september is the start of the season so it shouldnt be a problem. now about the spots, if you are looking just waveriding Roca Cuadrada (Matanzas) as it has been stated previously is the best place to go, the landing and launching can be a little bit tricky because of the windshadow but it should not be a problem if you are a good rider. I must say that waves can get pretty big over there. The other spot you HAVE to check out in matanzas is Pupuya, it has one of the best quality of wind there is around, very consistent and powerfull so really good to practice big airs (lots of kickers).

Now about pichilemu, it is mostly world known because of its surf but it can also be kited. Mostly in "infernillo" as it was stated before but the chances of it getting wind are far less than anywhere in matanzas.

Hi Cristiano ,
very helpful your info, I am planning to go to Matanzas on dic 15th aprox. I ll go with my surf and weight 75kg , shall i take 7 , 10 ? will not need my 12 for light wind?

thanks

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 am

Cristiano_Leandro wrote:

Hi Thanks. What about kitesurf rental around Matanzas and infrastructure in Matanzas, Pichilemu and Pupuya?
Do you have any places in mind to suggest? What is the estimate cost?

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 pm

alfredo68 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 pm
Cristiano_Leandro wrote:

Hi Cristiano ,
very helpful your info, I am planning to go to Matanzas on dic 15th aprox. I ll go with my surf and weight 75kg , shall i take 7 , 10 ? will not need my 12 for light wind?

thanks
dic should be pretty in season, if you are just going with the surfboard the 7 should be enough, maybe take the 12th in case of light wind.(this is for matanzas, the 12 could come in Handy if you head to pichilemu)

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:47 pm

AlexandreBorges wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 am
Cristiano_Leandro wrote:

Hi Thanks. What about kitesurf rental around Matanzas and infrastructure in Matanzas, Pichilemu and Pupuya?
Do you have any places in mind to suggest? What is the estimate cost?
For renting i would say easiest is to get it in Santiago and then travel to the spots, but maybe some of the companies do have some gear in Matanzas, here are the 3 that i know rent gear:

http://kitesurfchile.cl/es/arriendos/
windsurfingchile.cl
wetfly.cl

For infraestructure i think Pupuya (its 5 min from matanzas) theres a place called "La Lobera" thats right infront of the beach with music, good food and most importantly cold beer. your mother can sit in a chair and watch you kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”