Style: Strapless Surfboard
Gear: '19 Cabrinha Drifter 11m
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Freeride/All Around Kite for Beginner/Intermediate

Postby Rossta » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I searched but didn't quite get the info I was looking for.

What is the difference between a freeride and all-around kite? I have noticed that some brands sell both.

I'm looking to buy a second hand kite and I could use some suggestions. I live in NE Florida and wind speeds vary quite a bit (10-25 knots generally throughout the year). 99% of the time I am kiting off the beach in surf and chop. I haven't been kiting very long. I ride a twin tip, I'm not doing any tricks, just going in and out through the surf trying to stay upwind. I can stay upwind when the wind is good and the water is a little smoother. I currently have a 13M 2009 Waroo and I want to get smaller kite(9M or 10M) for when it gets windier. I have been getting overpowered or not been able to go out of the heavier days. I weigh 170lbs(77kg) As far as progression I want just want to cruise, boost some airs, and do big carves in the surf. I have no interest in doing any freestyle/wakestyle unhooked crazy tricks. So what are some recommendations on good kites for me? I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in a kite. Is fast turning important for me? Stability? Bar pressure? Upwind ability? depower? Some kites I have been looking at are:
RRD Vision 2012
Best Kahoona
Naish Park
Naish Ride
North Fuse 2011
Airrush Lithium
Best TS 2012 or 2013
Switch Nitro 2
LF Envy

I'm on a tight budget, thats why I am looking used.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Last edited by Rossta on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyrob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Toronto Islands, Oliphant, Lake Simcoe Canada
Favorite Beaches: OBX, Tampa Bay, El Yaque and Coche Island, Venezuela, Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Naish
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Tech Team Rider
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freeride/All Around Kite for Beginner/Intermediate

Postby flyrob » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Finally, an honest kiter!

Someone who admits they are just wanting to go out and mow the lawn and enjoy the ride!

If upwind performance and low bar pressure are most important for your "free riding", a higher aspect-ratio kite is a good bet. High aspect ratio means a longer, skinnier wing-type kite as opposed to a deep, parachute-like kite.

My personal favourite free-ride kite of all time is the old Ocean Rodeo Rise in 10m size. Low bar pressure, super stable, hard to back-stall and flies well forward in the wind-window for really good upwind performance. It is also quite good at lofty boosts and is one of the toughest built kites around.

They come up on ebay from time to time at decent prices.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:26 pm

My 12m RRD Vision is my go-to kite for cruising. You really won't know what you want or like until you feel it, so I'd see if you have some friends that will let you try their sails. If you make it up to Charleston some time and there is wind I'll let you have a go at the Vision or my high apsect Thruster.

Rossta
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 175
Local Beach: Neptune Beach, FL
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard

Postby Rossta » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

t3rse wrote:My 12m RRD Vision is my go-to kite for cruising. You really won't know what you want or like until you feel it, so I'd see if you have some friends that will let you try their sails. If you make it up to Charleston some time and there is wind I'll let you have a go at the Vision or my high apsect Thruster.
Thanks for the offer! Yeah it would be ideal to try some kites before I buy but I doubt I will have the opportunity. I'm probably not good enough to tell small differences between kites but I at least want to get one that should be decent for me. I've come across a used 2012 RRD Vision 9M and a 2011 North Fuse 9M. Both sound like they are close to what I'm looking for and affodable. Thanks for the advice.

Anyone else have some input?

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Rossta wrote:Anyone else have some input?
Park, Ride & Lithium - all great kites & well suited to your needs

Rossta
Rare Poster
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard

Postby Rossta » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm

[quote=Park, Ride & Lithium - all great kites & well suited to your needs[/quote]

:thumb:

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 pm

Anyone else have some input?
You described the flying characteristics of the Nitro V3 https://switchkites.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/4487/ Freeride kite, huge jumps, big smile at a price that might surprise you . For the wind conditions you described a 12 propably. I have a 10m and fly it 13-35 knots

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcp--wJ_Leg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mQ4tGbDeaY[/youtube]

http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/345/

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.

Postby greginkw » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Lithium is a good choice for you, I also recommend seeing if you can try a kite out to see what you like. At this time of year a lot of the kite shops and manufacturers start dumping the previous years models at a great price to make way for new gear. Where in NE Florida are you, our shop is in St Augustine so stop in sometime too say hi or if you need anything. Whatever kite you decide to go with good luck and good winds.

Regards Greg
oceanextremesports.com

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:41 pm

Hey Rosta, i'm in Ne fla too. I fly foils, currently PL Charger 12 and 15 and Flysurfer speed 3/21. You are welcome to try mine if you are local. easy bar pull is but one of the advantages.

Rossta
Rare Poster
'17 Cabrinha Drifter 8m
North Cross kiteboard

Postby Rossta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

greginkw wrote:Lithium is a good choice for you, I also recommend seeing if you can try a kite out to see what you like. At this time of year a lot of the kite shops and manufacturers start dumping the previous years models at a great price to make way for new gear. Where in NE Florida are you, our shop is in St Augustine so stop in sometime too say hi or if you need anything. Whatever kite you decide to go with good luck and good winds.

Regards Greg
oceanextremesports.com
Thanks Greg, I'm in Neptune Beach and I have been in your shop a few times for stuff. Seems like I need to get in the loop for when there are demos to try a couple different kites. Just not sure if I want to wait that long.

Arcsrule wrote:Hey Rosta, i'm in Ne fla too. I fly foils, currently PL Charger 12 and 15 and Flysurfer speed 3/21. You are welcome to try mine if you are local. easy bar pull is but one of the advantages.
Thanks for the offer. Whats happens if you drop a foil kite? Seems like relaunch would be impossible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”