Kiteboard for choppy water?

forum for kitesurfers

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboard for choppy water?

Postby jwoodunlv » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Brokite freeride 134. Best board I've ever ridden. It's got a lot of rocker when you look at it but is has flex so when riding it creates a flat spot that moves to you don't lose upwind ability. Handles chop very well with no face spray. It carves like nothing else on the market. They are also very light and springy under foot so the board feels very lively. They are custom made so you can have the inserts spaced for your height. If you want it to be even lighter, you can opt for no handle inserts as well. Check them out!!!!

www.brokite.com

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:25 am

I use an OR 150 mako and it eats up the chop. Fun in wind swell conditions as well.

adamj2281
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, boost
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor 8/10m, Flite 14.5m
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 pm

+1 for Ocean Rodeo Mako

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 pm

Litewave Carbon Kick works for me... 135 & 139 (165 lbs). More rocker the better and size up a few CM.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:52 pm

I love my T5, best board I ever owned. Maybe had for 4 years now. Maybe not a lot of rocker but rips upwind, tips flex well and super soft landings. I also use it in light winds. 100Kgs 140cm board. All my friends said it's their favourite board and one friend said it's a toss up between the T5 and the Trax. Newer models of these no idea, as well as other brands besides Shin We all dislike them very much. Worst boards we have tried. So guess it depends on your style.
On T5 a couple days ago. Light winds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eednI ... G8_J0MTEsg

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Dimitri M wrote:Get the MAKO from Ocean Rodeo. This board is great for choppy waters. You won't have the pop that you get from other boards but if you don't care about the pop then the MAKO is a great limousine board because you won't feel any chop especially if you have bad knees.
:oops: Thanks Dimitri!

Just a quick correction though, Dimitri is correct that all sizes of the Mako are fantastic in the chop. However, he's incorrect in the pop factor. The 165cm board can be a bit tough to pop as it can suck to the water with it's surface size but the 135cm,140cm and 150cm boards can be heavily loaded and popped, just a little differently.

With the Mako to load and pop the board you don't flex the tail and olly like you do with a normal TT. Instead you bear off and then carve hard to load up the rail of the board. Send the kite and release the edge and you are headed sky high... there are few boards that jump as high as the Mako. Here's a shot of the 135 in action (on a very choppy day!)

John Z - OR

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 am

ORSales wrote: With the Mako to load and pop the board you don't flex the tail and olly like you do with a normal TT. Instead you bear off and then carve hard to load up the rail of the board. Send the kite and release the edge and you are headed sky high... there are few boards that jump as high as the Mako. Here's a shot of the 135 in action (on a very choppy day!)
John Z - OR
Good to read, I have a 2013 Mako 140 (Christmas 2014) and like it a lot, but I was bummed that I couldn't do quick little pop-hops with it like I could with a conventional twin tip. I've definitely been lazy in not using the kite for jumps 'cuz I'm not going for big air. I'm just looking for jumps that keep me under 10-foot altitude with good horizontal travel. I got used to pulling off quick little jumps purely on pop, not using the kite much. I've read that there are new techniques to learn when riding the Mako, and look forward to trying them out instead of just "discovering" them.. I'll try this next time out for jumping. I recently found that driving from the back foot works well on waves for me on carving turns and when powered for heading upwind. The 2013 140 has the option for mutant setup, but I'm keeping it in twin-tip mode. Like it a lot so far, and the claim to "smoothing out the chop" is definitely true.

jpkiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NJ ( Lakes Bay, Brigantine, Tuckerton)
Hatteras,NC
Favorite Beaches: Lakes Bay,NJ
Brigantine,NJ
Dock St. NJ
Hatteras, NC
Florida Flats, Key West
Gear: EPIC kites, Cabrinha kites BRO-KITE POP 130X 40, HEIN custom boards, AXIS Vanguard+Nuskool, Kokotat drysuits

Postby jpkiter » Mon May 18, 2015 1:28 am

+1 for the BRO'S

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon May 18, 2015 2:16 am

Sorry John I don't share your views and agree with Dimitri on pop. Sure a different technique can maximise the amount. Of accessible pop, but ultimately there is no comparison. Rounded tips, no flex and large concave do not provide the best platform for load and pop. Owned 140, 150, 165. Great boards but with everything there is always a compromise. There is no magic bullet . Giveth with one hand and taketh from the other. If you believe otherwise you are being misled. To add I found the mako worked well in chop up to a certain level of chop, whereby the lack of flex eventually outweighs the benefit of the large concave, and you were better off being on something like a monk (just using as an example).

Just an opinion and hopefully a reality check for some, sorry to go counter to the mako love fest here. It is overall a great board for what it does.

splitwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Axis
Fat Lady

Postby splitwind » Mon May 18, 2015 3:30 am

I have an Avis Vanguard and ride in the chop of Lake Michigan. Its a great board and very smooth in the chop. I ride a pretty big version of the board and very happy with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”