UKRob
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel 11m (2012)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

15m North Juice V Ozone Zephyr

Postby UKRob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Is there anyone out there who could give an unbiased comparison between the 15m Juice and the Zephyr? I'm looking for a relatively lightwind weapon and fancy the idea of the Juice as I could use my existing North Bar. I am around 78kg and a relative newbie, any helpful opinions would be great, I dont want a technical monster just something that will go up wind well, relaunch with the minimum of trouble and basically give me a load of fun!

Thanks a lot.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Re: 15m North Juice V Ozone Zephyr

Postby soul19 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm

I can't comment on the juice but the zephyr is an amazing kite! No pulleys, light weight and flies better than most 13-14m kites. Now it doesn't have the ultra low end of some of the other LW kites on the market but it does have an impressive wind range. I was riding a Epic Infinity v3 (had a guy buy that kite off me as he wanted it) and around 15-16 knots it was capped out. With the zephyr I can ride at the same low end but I can still be comfortable up to 20 knots. This kite just gets better as the wind picks up and will be my go to kite. It isn't a mow the lawn kite but rather a good kite to learn LW freestyle (just like the infinity). It goes upwind better than the infinity, relaunches well and is just a sweet ride.

James

With you being a newish kiter than the Zephyr is going to great for you. I haven't tried the juice so someone else would need to comment on that.

kitenico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: colombia
Favorite Beaches: cabo de la vela , puntagallinas , chivor , calima , cartagena ,puerto velero
Style: freeride, freestyle , wakestyle , race
Gear: bandit 9,12
edge 17

Postby kitenico » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 pm

I love the zephir for freestyle i an even thinking in buying one for my self ti go with my 8,12rpm quiver riding bindings, does anyone now about the release date of the 2015 ? Thanks pd ive got a turbine and it is great for lightwind but is sucks for unhooking

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:16 am

What are you calling light wind man? 78kg you say?

I've ridden both so unlike the guys above I may actually be of use...(there has been plenty said about the zephyr guys including me).

UKRob
Rare Poster

Postby UKRob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 am

Westozzy wrote:What are you calling light wind man? 78kg you say?

I've ridden both so unlike the guys above I may actually be of use...(there has been plenty said about the zephyr guys including me).
Thanks to all for replies so far.
Westozzy, I'm talking about below the useful starting range of my 11m Rebel using a TT (12 -13 knts maybe) and yes I am around 78kg and pretty much a newbie. A comparison / subjective recommendations are what I'm really looking for, I've flown a Zephyr so have a basic idea what their like. Thanks again

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 am

Well I rate both kites and don't think it matters which one you get. Both very stable platforms, both with the same relative wind range (the zephyr really is about a 15.5m compared to say a north 17m). Spent more time on the zephyr to be honest (actually a lot of time) but I have ridden the juice (and ridden enough kites to work out what it is all about. Pesonally its much of a much ness...except the you have to be aware that with the static bridle the bar pressure on the zephyr increases with wind increasing to a point it gets a lot to manage. But you'd be getting on your rebel before then anyway. Neither kite is a sub 10/11 kite on a TT so remember that. You will have more useable power at 11/13, start getting fun at 13/14. Both kites have remarkable drift for big kites, relatively quick turning. Jumps are easy and lofty with enough wind.

Personally though if your other kite is a north I'd be sticking to the juice if you can afford it, so the north feel stays the same. Ozone has its own feel across its range.

As I said both kites are excellnt.

Personally though I'd get an 18... :D especialy given the rebel has such an enormous range.Wht stuff around...

I'm 73 kg by the way... :D

UKRob
Rare Poster

Postby UKRob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Westozzy wrote:Well I rate both kites and don't think it matters which one you get. Both very stable platforms, both with the same relative wind range (the zephyr really is about a 15.5m compared to say a north 17m). Spent more time on the zephyr to be honest (actually a lot of time) but I have ridden the juice (and ridden enough kites to work out what it is all about. Pesonally its much of a much ness...except the you have to be aware that with the static bridle the bar pressure on the zephyr increases with wind increasing to a point it gets a lot to manage. But you'd be getting on your rebel before then anyway. Neither kite is a sub 10/11 kite on a TT so remember that. You will have more useable power at 11/13, start getting fun at 13/14. Both kites have remarkable drift for big kites, relatively quick turning. Jumps are easy and lofty with enough wind.

Personally though if your other kite is a north I'd be sticking to the juice if you can afford it, so the north feel stays the same. Ozone has its own feel across its range.

As I said both kites are excellnt.

Personally though I'd get an 18... :D especialy given the rebel has such an enormous range.Wht stuff around...

I'm 73 kg by the way... :D

lollypop
Rare Poster

Postby lollypop » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:14 pm

None of them.
My recommendation: Cabrinha Contra 15

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Yep the contra is another good option.

But not the only option as specified.

They are all designed to fill that sector of the market.

See if you can try them first and see which one clicks with you.

UKRob
Rare Poster

Postby UKRob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Somehow lost my comments when replying to you previously WestOzzie! Your comments were exactly what I am looking for, ie some help from someone who has experience of both.

Yes I am around 78kg, do you really think that at this weight that the 18m Juice for a newbie would be preferable to the 15? The cost difference is relatively minimal so I really would be aiming for the one to give me the best options with the least agro.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”