Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel Pulleys

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: North Rebel Pulleys

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:59 pm

What year is the kite? Or how many sessions on it? It sounds like you don't get the full range of Rebel due to bad 5th line adjustment. Once you have correct slack on fifth line there is no bridle that can match it, period. My bet is you have too much slack. Yes Rebel flies at the edge of the window but it is designed that way as a freeride gust muncher but it is a huge jumper. It is the profile of the kite that makes it so, the bridle will not change it. A home make bridle will makes things much worse. If you don't have knowledge how to correctly adjust fifth line slack, how in the world will you deal with making your own bridle? You have to shorten your fifth line bit by bit until it has just a hair more slack than your front lines with your kite parked at 12 and the bar pulled in. If you overdo it the bar pressure will increase so you have to go back.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:39 pm

The fuse was always a gruntier and easier jumper than the rebel, at the expense of top end loss.

I know plenty of fuse riders that were devastated when it was taken out of the lineup for that reason.

But that's how it is.

My advice is search for a fuse, they are still around, and pass the rebel on.

Or look at other kite options, like say the naish draft.

I think you may be heading down an unfruitful road bro, bridalling a kite with pulleys is not for the faint hearted.

But hey if anything you will learn a shit load from your mistakes...

Personally I wouldn't bother.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:48 am

Westozzy wrote:My advice is search for a fuse, they are still around, and pass the rebel on.
That's what I was thinking. There are lots of fuses around on the used market. I bought a 2012 9m about a year ago that had never been used for $750 complete with new bar on ebay. They aren't as common as the rebels, but they do come up.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 am

Yeh we just got a 10m 2010 with a bar and lines for 200 bucks...but of course every valve needs to be changed. But no biggy have it done by the end of today.

Valves done, been pumped up for 3 hours now, still hard. 250 bucks later a fuse ready to rumble.
Last edited by Westozzy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:57 am

I am no engineer but I fly Rebels and Evo and IMHO the Evo is the Rebel with pulleys.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:46 pm

No it's not. The Evo is not quite the fuse, they have built some more all round qualities into it as well. I think north thought ..if you want a rebel then buy a bloody rebel. What's the point in having a 4 line rebel for a realAtively small market (albeit passionate about the fuse). Rather have another type of kite in our line up.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:05 pm

I realize I am over simplifying it. The Rebel has more grunt with about 10% more boosting ability and hang time but the Evo is smoother, creamer, faster, loops better has less bar pressure and has more drift. So why are you putting pullies on a rebel?

oliver011
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marbella
Style: BIG AIR
Been thanked: 0

Postby oliver011 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 pm

SpaceRacer wrote:I realize I am over simplifying it. The Rebel has more grunt with about 10% more boosting ability and hang time but the Evo is smoother, creamer, faster, loops better has less bar pressure and has more drift. So why are you putting pullies on a rebel?
The fuse have got more hang time, lift and better upwind than the rebel the 5line make the kite decaffeinated and the 5line has the danger that the kite rotate and break i see on the beach many times i kiting 13 years a go and i like oldscholl an the best one in the last years is the fuse the kites dont need the 5line this is stupid marketing today i arrived from guincho portugal whit 7m fuse and more than 40 nds and gusty and nobody whith 5line i live in the south of spain and i kiting all year whith west and east winds depending on the season kiting from 15 knots to 40 knots in all conditions in 13 yeras i see the evolucion of this sport and i have all style of kites and north he has done wrong by removing a large kite like FUSE beacuse for FREERIDE / OLDSCHOLL is the better one.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:22 am

What's the bet the 2015 Evo will creep back into fuse territory... :D

oliver011
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marbella
Style: BIG AIR
Been thanked: 0

Postby oliver011 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:54 am

Westozzy wrote:What's the bet the 2015 Evo will creep back into fuse territory... :D
I hope so!!! :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”