Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boardriding Maui CS Bar Review (no chicken loop or leash)

Forum for kitesurfers
ronf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Larkspur ; Marina Bay, Ca.
Kailua, Oahu
Favorite Beaches: Kailua
Style: freeride
Gear: RRD Vision; Wainman Hawaii; Mako Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boardriding Maui CS Bar Review (no chicken loop or leash

Postby ronf » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:43 pm

Xor- How tall is your wife ? Long arms ? Waist or seat harness ? Does she get enough depower with full arm extension alone ?? Thanks, Ron

ronf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Larkspur ; Marina Bay, Ca.
Kailua, Oahu
Favorite Beaches: Kailua
Style: freeride
Gear: RRD Vision; Wainman Hawaii; Mako Boards

Postby ronf » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Has anybody used the BRM CS bar with a Naish Pivot ?

Xor
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SF Bay area: 3rd ave, Alameda, Sherman Island
Gear: Boardriding Maui Clouds D2E: 13.4 all the way to 2.2m
DIY Pocket foil board, Moses 679/400, Project Cedrus Mast

Postby Xor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:56 pm

ronf wrote:Xor- How tall is your wife ? Long arms ? Waist or seat harness ? Does she get enough depower with full arm extension alone ?? Thanks, Ron
She is about 5'5'', My LF 2009 boardshort harness (so low bar position) with sliding dyneema bar, I would say average arm length, she got full depower reach, but with arms fully extended, not ideal to ride at full depower, but I do not think you would need it with clouds ever.

With even more riding I do not want to even imagine using depower strap anymore. No need with clouds and with my fone bandit and wainman boss sold, I'm happy CloudRider with 7m, 9m and 12m c2. I use bar on the same knot on all of this kites.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 pm

After about 30 sessions total with the BRM CS I have settled in one knot position. It is like adjusting seat, pedal and steering wheel positions in a car to one's preference. Once I figured where I like it, I just keep it there for all kites, in all conditions. My friends who use the CS seem to be doing the same, keeping it in one place.

I can still envision someone choosing a different knot setting from their usual if they are dealing with an extreme...a very undersized or very oversized kite for the conditions they are setting up for. But it wouldn't be a necessity and I would prefer keeping it in one setting. I cannot envision wanting to change the setting during a session. Before using it a lot I thought such an option was appealing. I had not used it enough. With experience I realize I wouldn't want the position to change and wouldn't want any extra hardware on it to accomplish that.

Arm and shoulder fatigue is way less. I understand that with on-the-fly trim straps with my other bars, I had been making adjustments too frequently (due to my own lack of experience and lack of kiting intelligence...and the bar range limitations) so that my bar position was effectively too static. My elbow and shoulder positions were too fixed. With the BRM CS, though I rarely have to sheet way in or way out, I am moving the bar through an ergonomically much improved range.

bgpeters
Rare Poster
Local Beach: White Bear Lake, Waconia, Mille Lacs - Minnesota

Postby bgpeters » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't miss a Chicken Loop. Nor do I miss the 'Oops! it popped out!!' excitement I would get from a CL from time to time. I sort of like no surprises.

I don't miss a Trim Strap. Much better to have loads of travel, compared to trying to keep the old 12" inches of travel tuned to the wind in gusty conditions. I can instantly respond to the unreasonable wind changes around here. I like it.

I used to always keep the stopper as far out as possible anyway, so I don't miss that much either. I'd rather have lots of travel.

I didn't have a swivel before. Rarely have I cared to have one. No change there. I prefer less.

Less really is more... more freedom, more reliability.

Well done BRM!!

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm

herbert wrote:After about 30 sessions total with the BRM CS I have settled in one knot position. It is like adjusting seat, pedal and steering wheel positions in a car to one's preference. Once I figured where I like it, I just keep it there for all kites, in all conditions. My friends who use the CS seem to be doing the same, keeping it in one place.

I can still envision someone choosing a different knot setting from their usual if they are dealing with an extreme...a very undersized or very oversized kite for the conditions they are setting up for. But it wouldn't be a necessity and I would prefer keeping it in one setting. I cannot envision wanting to change the setting during a session. Before using it a lot I thought such an option was appealing. I had not used it enough. With experience I realize I wouldn't want the position to change and wouldn't want any extra hardware on it to accomplish that.

Arm and shoulder fatigue is way less. I understand that with on-the-fly trim straps with my other bars, I had been making adjustments too frequently (due to my own lack of experience and lack of kiting intelligence...and the bar range limitations) so that my bar position was effectively too static. My elbow and shoulder positions were too fixed. With the BRM CS, though I rarely have to sheet way in or way out, I am moving the bar through an ergonomically much improved range.
I fly using one of two positions - about 4" of extra length when I am underpowered and no extra length otherwise. I always ride on the low end of my kites - they turn better. If I don't put the extra length in when I am underpowered, I am kiting the whole time with bent elbows. My arms and shoulders tire pretty fast like this. The extra length allows me to straighten my arms enough that I don't tire.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:34 pm

ronnie wrote:
longbeachrider wrote:
ronnie wrote: My other kites flag to two front lines, so the BRM bar unfortunately would not suit them.
Just an FYI - Some two front line flag kites will also flag to a single line. As an example, Cabrinha as publicly confirmed 2014/2015 bars (single line flag) are compatible with their earlier kites (two front line flag).
True - but I prefer the IDS for the drift launching and packdown properties.
I accept that flagging to one front line is safer in a real emergency but I get the other benefits many times and hope to never have a real emergency where it would make a difference. I can always let the kite go if it did.
Am going to check out this connection from Dynabar to 2013 IDS Bar. It looks like it will work and the clearances seem OK. When closed, the Q/R lever is tight in the corner of the ring - like the BRM one. 25mm by 4mm D-ring.
The only worry I have is whether the end of the IDS line might wear against the side of the Q/R lever.
2013IDSBRM.jpg

SilverChannels
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Panama City Beach FL
Bahamas
Hatteras NC
Gear: BRM kites
JShapes Foil
MHL Foil
JC Stingray surfboard

Re: Boardriding Maui CS Bar Review (no chicken loop or leash)

Postby SilverChannels » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:14 am

Herbert
How did you wind your lines on the BRM bar so they are so well done and look like this
ie
http://kiteforum.com/download/file.php?id=62744

When I wind up the lines on my BRM bar they look like this even though I watched Greg's video and tried to emulate what he does on winding up the lines on the BRM bar
Here's what how the lines look when I wind them up on the BRM or most often look even worse

http://kiteforum.com/download/file.php?id=62740

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:34 pm

For those that have been riding the BRM bar for a while now... Any kitemares? Have you ever had trouble releasing the safety? Any other problems?

I like the idea of getting rid of the harness hook and my safety leash but you never know what problems arise until you use a system for a long time.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:52 pm

You can't go too far wrong with a simple piece of dynema as a slider or pivot. Pretty well established by now. Stripping down a bar is not all that risky either as long as you fully understand your system and don't disable it. Going the step farther to his double release is the point where the average kiter should probably just buy it. It's pretty refined. Certainly cleaner than my version, which has been simple and effective for the year I've learned to foil. Plenty of crash and burn testing with a couple flawless performances under duress! The integration of the leash is a no brainer for hooked in riding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”