Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pimped my bar!

Postby Starsky » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:28 am

JS wrote:
Starsky wrote:Rights of way make sense, but its the lights on boats and buoys that are the only thing using that colour coding.
I think you're missing the point. Standardization helps commit direction to intuition, including which side is which on a kite control bar. Read Bille's post (above) about unnecessary confusion (which could result in a totally unnecessary accident).
Pretty sure he said his bar had a red side. Thats not lack of standardization, thats user error in spite of standardization, like stepping on the gas instead of the break despite them being in the right place.
JS wrote:
Starsky wrote:I have never seen the steering wheel or tiller or any of the operating parts of any water craft colour coded for the sake of the operator.
I have, lots. Many sail and power boats have various things coded with red and green to differentiate port and starboard: electronics and switches, engine controls, rigging, hardware...instead of labeling "port" and "starboard", or inventing a new, personalized arbitrary colour code.
Perhaps I was not accurate enough in my language, but you hit it on the head, in that none of that stuff exists in kiteboarding. If Airstylers want to come up with lights on their boards and kites, you might gain traction with that, but I have yet to see a steering wheel or tiller or any other manner of steering a boat colour coded red and green. Many aspects of boats are coded as such, but none that really apply to kiteboarding.
JS wrote:
Starsky wrote:As long as you know your equipment...
Exactly, and it's easier to know and remember your equipment with standardization, not least during emergencies.

Imagine if cars didn't have standardized accelerator, brake and clutch pedal configurations. Nobody but the driver of each car would know, but more accidents would happen.
Yeah, imagine if they put the steering wheel on the other side of the car, or drove on the other side of the road. That would be nuts! Not sure where I suggest we alter how a kite bar operates or making it less distinguishable in a hurry. Im simply saying red green, has about as much significance in kiteboarding as colour coding the pedals in your car does to driving.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:35 am

Starsky wrote:Red Green, Red Black, Black white, whatever. As long as you know your equipment, it really shouldn't make a lick of difference to anyone what colour it is.
If you learn your own bar that works, but if you have multiple bars from different companies then you get confused. Then companies switch colors from model year to model year as well adding to the confusion.

I can see that aesthetics helps sell kites, but do people really buy bars because they like the color?

I don't care if it matches what boats/ships use, but it would be nice if everyone at least had red on the left since that has been the color used for a long time.

Funny thing I found out recently, the "Red on the Right when Returning" is reversed depending on where in the world you are." :o Talk about need for a standard!
Peter_Frank wrote:Green which is the correct standard of course, has never or rarely been used
The Epic bar is the only one I've seen. The original had more red and green, but the new one seems to still use those colors.

Attachments
redRight.png

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 am

Wait, does anybody really care about this? Kite bars DO NOT have a left or right side. They're symmetrical except for color. Lay out your lines whichever damn way you want and go fly. It simply doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way each time. I know that I always grab the bright color with my left hand, be it red, yellow, or fucsia. Whatever. The shiny one. If you like it the other way about, go for it. If I want to ride your kite for anything more than a goof off sesh I'll flip the bar. No biggie.

If it REALLY bothers you how some manufacturer sets up their bar, swap the pigtails. Easy, no stress, no panties in a wad. :cool2:

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 am

Bushflyr wrote:Wait, does anybody really care about this? Kite bars DO NOT have a left or right side. They're symmetrical except for color. Lay out your lines whichever damn way you want and go fly. It simply doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way each time. I know that I always grab the bright color with my left hand, be it red, yellow, or fucsia. Whatever. The shiny one. If you like it the other way about, go for it. If I want to ride your kite for anything more than a goof off sesh I'll flip the bar. No biggie.

If it REALLY bothers you how some manufacturer sets up their bar, swap the pigtails. Easy, no stress, no panties in a wad. :cool2:

Guess what. In your attempt at trying to be super cool dude showing off, you just showed how little kiteing experience you actually have.
The ones "with their panties in a wad" (like me) have gone through so many different types of bars through the years and have made errors because of them not being standardized.
Until you get worked by a double overhead wave, surface to find your kite just about to hit the water and you grab it thinking to yourself "shit, is yellow left on this bar?". So bam, you yank on the yellow.... No. Yellow wasn't left.

Stop being arrogant.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:12 am

Flyfish wrote:
Bushflyr wrote:Wait, does anybody really care about this? Kite bars DO NOT have a left or right side. They're symmetrical except for color. Lay out your lines whichever damn way you want and go fly. It simply doesn't matter as long as you do it the same way each time. I know that I always grab the bright color with my left hand, be it red, yellow, or fucsia. Whatever. The shiny one. If you like it the other way about, go for it. If I want to ride your kite for anything more than a goof off sesh I'll flip the bar. No biggie.

Guess what. In your attempt at trying to be super cool dude showing off, you just showed how little kiteing experience you actually have.
The ones "with their panties in a wad" (like me) have gone through so many different types of bars through the years and have made errors because of them not being standardized.
Until you get worked by a double overhead wave, surface to find your kite just about to hit the water and you grab it thinking to yourself "shit, is yellow left on this bar?". So bam, you yank on the yellow.... No. Yellow wasn't left.

Stop being arrogant.
well, since you think it is life or death, maybe you could mark your own bars as the OP did….

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Style: Wave
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:33 am

Then again, Maybe I shouldn't have to.
I think you missed the point of standardization.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 am

Flyfish wrote:

Stop being arrogant.
I don't get it. You're saying you rigged your bar wrong? Bars don't have a left or right. You put whatever color you want on whatever side you want.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 am

Bushflyr wrote: ...

I don't get it. You're saying you rigged your bar wrong? Bars don't have a left or right. You put whatever color you want on whatever side you want.
That's Fine
BUT
Do NOT lend your , (kite / bar) to someone , that thinks Red should be on
the Left ; if you got it reversed.

Read my last post ; that guy got Really Pissed at me because he dropped
my kite in the water, and couldn't relaunch it ,(i had the colors reversed).

It's why i'm teaching the bar-wench, that red belongs on the LEFT side ,
(opposite of what i usually do) --- but excepted by most World Wide !!

Bille

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:15 am

I dunno.

If you go out in gnarly conditions and have not worked out which side the colors of the bar are on...I think you need to re-evaluate other things than your bar. If the conditions are a problem those might not be the days you want to borrow a bar in. Regardless of what happens...you are responsible for your own safety. :thumb:

I'd prefer to have a standardization, but I would say getting the line lengths and kook proof connections standardized is more important. Then perhaps we can go nuts on the colors. I'd say red on the left is a good start...but the color of the bar will not stop me from buying a bar. My bars will be black yellow white and green this season...in addition to last years ones. :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

NYKiter wrote:Strongly recommend overlaying each end of grip tape with Tear Aid...it wont uncurl....
those overgrips come with a black tape to wrap at the end. You see it on the picture as well.

Well, I guess we all agree on red left. es, right can be anything...but black/red looks the best IMHO.
And black is like a neutral color. Because if you have two birght colors you will think, what was left and what right?
With a neutral color like white or black you will remember red left, no matter the other colorOne information less will help faster to decide in a stressed situation.
But white is not nice and gets dirty...so black is awesome.

Maybe the industry steps up with a standard like color left, black right. That would also help to have their bars look more individual.

But the safest in IMHO is left red, black right. If all have this there is no more doubt. And that should be the ultimate goal to make the sport even safer.

The grip on the handle works fine...lets see how it works on the bar ;-)

and yes, Taut, standard kookproof connectors should be another goal we should get to asap.
I hate when I want to try a bar on my kite and can't because they use different connection systems.
Which could also lead to bad situation for beginners who are not sure what they do...

Return to “Kitesurfing”