Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Quick lines question,slingshot bar,are they equal in length?

Forum for kitesurfers
Billy25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: All Hawaii beaches
Style: freeride
Gear: RRD,Slingshot, Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quick lines question,slingshot bar,are they equal in length?

Postby Billy25 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi guys and gals, I have a quick question and hoping for some feedback. So I want to replace my lines on my 2014 Compstick. It says it comes with 22m lines but with the rear lines having leeders on them and starting way after the front lines and having them even at the end, how can both the front and rear lines be equal? It seems that the two are different is sizes. Thanks for any input.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Quick lines question,slingshot bar,are they equal in len

Postby edt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Billy25 wrote:Hi guys and gals, I have a quick question and hoping for some feedback. So I want to replace my lines on my 2014 Compstick. It says it comes with 22m lines but with the rear lines having leeders on them and starting way after the front lines and having them even at the end, how can both the front and rear lines be equal? It seems that the two are different is sizes. Thanks for any input.
front lines & back lines should be exactly equal. Remember you don't measure it with the bar all the way out. The lines will be equal when you pull the bar all the way in. If you lark's head your lines not to a kite but some post, tension the lines and pull the bar all the way in you should then be able to see they are equal. There are some bars from various manufacturers that aren't equal line lengths made before 2010 but almost all modern bars have equal line lengths.

I can't remember if the compstick requires spliced line ends on the two center lines (so it fits through the safety system) look at the ones you have and see if the two center lines are spliced or sleeved. When buying new lines it's easy to make a mistake and get everything sleeved instead of having the center lines spliced

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:33 pm

edt wrote:There are some bars from various manufacturers that aren't equal line lengths made before 2010 but almost all modern bars have equal line lengths.
This isn't really related to the question. The lines should have the same tension at full power when attached to a fixed spot. But this doesn't mean that rear lines are equal length to front lines. Just look at for example North bar, where you have a front line split a few meters above the bar. The front lines are shorter than rear in that bar.

It is hard to guess for the Slingshot bar. Billy25 why won't you just measure them? The measurement for the bar is probably from the chickenloop to lines end, because that's what matters for performance.

I'd strongly suggest you get original lines though, as the front lines have to be spliced on one end to fit the swivel and most of the substitutes aren't..

Billy25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Favorite Beaches: All Hawaii beaches
Style: freeride
Gear: RRD,Slingshot, Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby Billy25 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks for the help u 2, I guess I will just have to go with originals for it. I was hoping that was not the case and that they would be universal so I could buy other lines for it. Eeeka, well thanks again and happy sailing to you guys. Aloha

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 pm

jedi1 wrote:Just look at for example North bar, where you have a front line split a few meters above the bar. The front lines are shorter than rear in that bar.
cabrinha, slingshot, ozone, liquid force, naish, best, wainman, and ocean rodeo all have equal line lengths for their modern control bars (older bars can have funny line lengths)

the north control bar indeed is an exception. The sole exception I think.

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 am

edt wrote:
jedi1 wrote:Just look at for example North bar, where you have a front line split a few meters above the bar. The front lines are shorter than rear in that bar.
cabrinha, slingshot, ozone, liquid force, naish, best, wainman, and ocean rodeo all have equal line lengths for their modern control bars (older bars can have funny line lengths)

When I replaced the swivel I had a hell of a time getting the sleeved ends thru. I can't recall if the trouble was getting the lines out or when I went to rethread them. At any rate I ended up unsleeping them and splicing them. Just a for-warning :D
Oh and if you are replacing the lines you might want to replace the swivel cause it is going to lock up on you! I used a wainman replacement - with ceramic bearing and its worked great for a year.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

edt wrote:

Nope the line lengths are on the equal on all North bars when you are fully powered (sheeted in and trim out). This year there is an exception of the 6 line hadlow setup you can use on the wakestyle bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”