Has thanked: 0

Re: Ski bindings type release

Postby Starsky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:45 am

Surfboards

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Boots will never go mainstream. Only for unhooked competition that nobody even wants to watch. It doesn't belong in any way in this discussion. Flashing them in peoples faces when we discuss straps it's some pathetic narcissistic attempt at look at me I am at the higher level. Whatever dude.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 pm

Whats mainstream has no bearing on anything. Boots however have a huge bearing on the concept of one foot releasing during a fall and the other leg being damaged by a strapped foot. So do Toby style loose strap set ups.

Others have repeatedly placed the simple truth of the matter under your nose, but you shrug it off as not applicable applying your own judgement on what boots are for and why people ride them. Your distaste for them is borderline ignorant. Then you bring up irrelevant shit like what "people" do and don't want to watch as part of the discussion.

If you actually think the solution to your problem is some sort of technological spring loaded toe release additional piece of equipment anything like what we see on ski's, your simply bat shit crazy.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:55 pm

I don't want boots period. In my opinion they are more dangerous too but most of all impractical. I need a solution for myself and for my students as well. There is responsibility on my part and most of all, on industry part to address the problem of people getting injured. I should be able to give people a piece of equipment without worrying they are going to rip their knee off. This last incident where a rider losses it's leg in perfect conditions without doing anything crazy should be a wake up call. I am not going to wait for the industry, I will do whatever I can to prevent myself and my students from getting hurt.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 pm

i Feel for Israel, but not sure it was an equipment failure or shortcoming as much as a freak micro burst of wind and unfortunate landing as documented. knees, ankles, shoulders, spines, they are all inherently at risk in this sport. True safety is not in a push away release its in the reflex to use it. One more red knob is not the real answer to such a simple issue.

If what you are saving the world from is a single foot in a strap with a rotating board.

Loosen your straps. Teach the masses not to rely on the feel of tight straps in the first place and you will save more knees.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:08 pm

marlboroughman wrote:I don't want boots period. In my opinion they are more dangerous too but most of all impractical. I need a solution for myself and for my students as well. There is responsibility on my part and most of all, on industry part to address the problem of people getting injured. I should be able to give people a piece of equipment without worrying they are going to rip their knee off. This last incident where a rider losses it's leg in perfect conditions without doing anything crazy should be a wake up call. I am not going to wait for the industry, I will do whatever I can to prevent myself and my students from getting hurt.
How about lubing up you and your students feet with a tube of Vagasil????

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:31 pm

marlboroughman wrote:Boots will never go mainstream. Only for unhooked competition that nobody even wants to watch. It doesn't belong in any way in this discussion. Flashing them in peoples faces when we discuss straps it's some pathetic narcissistic attempt at look at me I am at the higher level. Whatever dude.
Funny as they used to say that about wake boarding in the early days. I see more and more people showing up with boots at our local spot. I all so get asked a lot of questions about riding boots even from old guys.

I guess some people are just too closed minded to even give them a try. I would say you are one of them. It's as if some one saying "boots" is a personal insult. Might have been better off just saying "thats not what I'm really talking about but I'll give it some consideration". Instead of starting a flame war.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Postby wedge » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Starsky wrote:
wedge wrote:Do you binding-advocates use them in the surf? Real surf??
This is one of those lines of questioning where you should maybe give your head a shake as I'm sure you can come up with the answer, but just n case:

Boots are a blast in small waves, and the more skilled a rider the more they can competently handle, but shockingly, once the surf is "real" most decent riders opt for, wait for it.......
Thanks Starsky, for answering my question with your usual level of condescension. So people don't use boots to actually surf waves, because that would make them, to use a surf term you appropriated, a kook.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Carry on...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 am

Last winter I rode someones board with Dakine straps that look like windsurfing straps come to think of it I didn't find anything wrong with them. I checked Dakine website and they still make them. I think they are way safer than the modern slipper style ones.

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch

Postby jms » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:53 am

I'd have thought we only need rotational release rather than rotational + up/down like ski-bindings.

So maybe we could make a couple of circular plates that go between the board and the bindings. Spin too far and the tabs pop out and release you. Simple enough that corrosion shouldn't be an issue. Setting the friction correctly seems tricky though.

As a plus, this would only release if one foot had already gotten yanked out, as otherwise there would be no way to spin far enough...

Return to “Kitesurfing”