Rare Poster
Local Beach: conimicut, bullocks point, ninigret
Gear: switchblade II
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2014 cabrinha kites on older bar

Postby occidental tourist » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:59 pm

so the definitive statement is the new bars can fly old kites but new kites shouldn't fly on old bars.

i found this youtube which is supposed to be a demo of why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro-T0E99REc

but i wouldn't say i was massively convinced one way or another. the kite floats at the edge of the window and the release is pulled. it doesn't soften a lot more but i'm not sure it would fly or not and when he walks towards the kite it flags and parks on the beach.

now this doesn't duplicate a constant pull emergency so this is no recommendation in itself but i don't know if you can infer performance from the test. it appears in some ways that the likely result is similar to the switch 2 and switch 3 bar systems which did not really have flagging, they just had large depower by extending the bar throw if you let go (or if you blew out the fixed stopper on the PVC tether) and emergency out was to dump the kite just above the chicken loop with no flagging line.

I still fly some of those Switch 3 kites but they were even more difficult to flag because the front and rear bridles/lines were actually connected so maybe you would get even a little more result with the IDS bar and the 2014 kite even if the bridles have maybe been tuned in anticipation of single line flagging.

Partly i'm trying to decide for myself whether to get a 2014 kite with no bar for the time being and maybe upgrade straight to the 2015 bar when i can afford it -- i.e. when the 2016s come out.

I'm also a little ambivalent about the adjustable bar widths. looks like it might be something to break. I had originally assumed when i heard they were adjustable that the ends slid out of the control bar and extra 6 mm for a long setting. this also gives you that slightly wider bar for leverage as well. Maybe this adjustable thing is a great innovation but i'm wondering what folks who have ridden it think.

thanks,

brian

windeze
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: 2014 cabrinha kites on older bar

Postby windeze » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:58 pm

im asking the same question again.I bought a 2014 sb to use with a 2013 bar.Only flown it on the beach so far and that seemed to work ok.So is it just the safety system that wont fully function?
Can anyone out there confirm that or is it a myth created to flog more bars??

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Has thanked: 0

Postby GregWoj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:16 pm

I cant comment o '13 bars with '14 kites. But I have used the '15 bar on '14 (and '13) kites. If you can swing s '15 bar I highly recommend it. It works great on 2013 & 2014 range of kites. Especially on the 2014 Vector!

In terms of performsnce, I will play around with my '13 bar on my '14 kites and report back. In terms of safety, I think the video demonstrates that the 2013 IDS system on a 2014 kite works, just takes longer to fully dump power and flag. Notice how he actually has to walk toward the kite to get it to fully flag. That's not possible in ythe water. So While your kite will dump power, it may not flag until you hit land and walk toward it. So... My take is that if you ride in light(er) winds 15 knots or less with lots of room downwind, and no obstacles/people/large beach, then I think you would be safe to use the 2013 bar on a '14 kite. That's based on pure assessment and review from what the video shows me. I normally fly in lighter winds and have pretty safe location to test on so will try 14 kite on 13 bar and have a session to compare performance.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Everyday there is a new cabrinha bar compatibility question, hit the search button

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:49 pm

I think the 13's IDS bars still had the higher V on the front lines if I'm not mistaken. That may not make a huge difference and would probably work in a pinch, however for long term use I wouldn't do it. Gambling on the kites ability to fully flag isn't a good idea and from that video it looks like it isn't flagging properly.

I'm with GregWoj, score a 2015 bar and enjoy. I'm even using Cab's new bar on my Flysurfer Cronix 12 and 8. Works perfectly with the PKS pigtail set.

Return to “Kitesurfing”