DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Front zip Or Back Zip wetsuit?

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Back zip for me. I'm 6'2" 205lbs... and wear the neil pryde suit. Like said before, it fits my body type the best.

DD

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:13 pm

back zip any day of the year. i have enough workout just to put on the bz wetsuit.
the front zip wetsuit opening is too narrow to go higher than my knees. and then try to take it off after the session!

simple test will help you to decide which wetsuit to choose. if you can enter you home through the pet flap you can certainly purchase the front zipper wetsuit

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:01 pm

eree wrote:back zip any day of the year. i have enough workout just to put on the bz wetsuit.
the front zip wetsuit opening is too narrow to go higher than my knees. and then try to take it off after the session!

simple test will help you to decide which wetsuit to choose. if you can enter you home through the pet flap you can certainly purchase the front zipper wetsuit
LOL. You are 100% right about the pet door. Not a big pet door either. A pet door made for tiny dogs or cats. I'm a pretty flexible fellow, I tried on on an oniel heat, ( I think) no zipper,and I could not get out of it. It felt like a straight jacket. I was rolling around on the floor trying to get out of it when my wife got home. She thought it was the funniest thing ever. Mean while i'm freaking out, sweating, grunting and hyperventilating. She finally helped me out of it. I'm not joking either. I was really starting to freak the f*** out. I hate confined spaces. I traded the suit in for an oniel dry suit and couldn't be happier. I have a 15 year old shorty wetsuit with back zip I used in high school that I now use for slightly cool conditions.

original poster. Go to a surf shop and try them on. It will tell you all you need to know. It will save you shipping charges.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 pm

It is really odd...

Everybody I know praises these front zip suits, as they ARE warmer and much more comfy, no doubt :thumb:

Really odd to see so many who dislike these in this forum, but it might in fact be more connected to the typical type of forum contributors, more than reality and the huge numbers of kitesurfers out there :naughty:

8) Peter

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:It is really odd...

Everybody I know praises these front zip suits, as they ARE warmer and much more comfy, no doubt :thumb:

Really odd to see so many who dislike these in this forum, but it might in fact be more connected to the typical type of forum contributors, more than reality and the huge numbers of kitesurfers out there :naughty:

8) Peter
I prefer my front zip Hyperflex wetsuits. Unfortunately although they are comfortable, easy to get into, and were quite inexpensive, they are pretty much falling apart after a couple of seasons.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:It is really odd.....
you right on forum contributors certainly. we are older and bigger than statistical kter probably. but i don't agree about "more comfy" statement. how do you feel this "comfy"? i don't feel anything uncomfortable wearing my bz wetsuit.

i agree there must be some demographic issue here. front zip wetties are more suitable for youngsters or in general "statistical 75kg" kiters. but when i look at the people in the spots i ride the 75kg is the lowest border! i don't know where did kite brands get this statistical medium from? all the gear are oriented to some mythical skinny wealthy young flatfooted carbon-fiber-and-neon-color-loving kiter, supposedly doing nothing but unhooked tricks.

i think the front zip wetsuits must be more popular in surfing community since they are more prone to flushing while paddling. in shops near me there are only about 5% of the all wetsuits that have front zips

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 am

Do-it wrote:
eree wrote:back zip any day of the year. i have enough workout just to put on the bz wetsuit.

LOL. You are 100% right about the pet door. Not a big pet door either. A pet door made for tiny dogs or cats. I'm a pretty flexible fellow, I tried on on an oniel heat, ( I think) no zipper,and I could not get out of it. It felt like a straight jacket. I was rolling around on the floor trying to get out of it when my wife got home. She thought it was the funniest thing ever. Mean while i'm freaking out, sweating, grunting and hyperventilating. She finally helped me out of it. I'm not joking either. I was really starting to freak the f*** out. I hate confined spaces. I traded the suit in for an oniel dry suit and couldn't be happier. I have a 15 year old shorty wetsuit with back zip I used in high school that I now use for slightly cool conditions.

original poster. Go to a surf shop and try them on. It will tell you all you need to know. It will save you shipping charges.

Hahaha I put it on after much deliberation at the local surf retail store, and then had a slight panic attack as I couldn't get out of it!! Had to call the shop owner to help us out! I to was doing the wriggle of panic in the change room like some mad dude in a straight jacket. Funny as.

But I still got it. They are warmer when surfing, but how much time do we really spend in the actual water duck diving under waves?

Anyhow they get easier to get in, becuase that shoulder part I was talking about stretches...as I said both of mine have gone at the same point.

By the way I'm only 74/75kg and a lean 75kg (so I don't fit the profile mentioned above about the contributors :D ).

Guvner
Rare Poster

Postby Guvner » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 am

Back zips have a habit of bruising my back bone when under a harness

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 am

jasonwave
Rare Poster
Gear: Surfboards : BWS, custom, shinnster
TT : nomad prototype
Kites : BWS, Cloud

Postby jasonwave » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:45 pm

If the seal around your neck is neather tight nor comfy, doesnt matter which way it zips, or what price it is - and you can only tell that by trying it on. I run both, my thicker winter suit being a back zip NP, it fits my shape perfect and is great. The front one, excel, happens to fit great too. Ive had more expensive and not been as comfortable, ive forgotten to check the neck in the shop on front zippers and had to resell after the first duck dive as water gushed in. So I dont think there is a rule on front or back other than if it doesnt fit perfectly especially around the neck, isnt comfy especially around forearm and feet seals, dont even think about buying it (assuming of course its well made). You take a huge risk to buy blind off internet unless youve tried it on before. Im a standard midsize fit, standard belly, arm and leg lenth and can try 5 different midsize suits in a shop and only fit well into one or two of them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”