Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

forum for kitesurfers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotch

Postby edt » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 am

going to harsen's island ill let you know if I change my mind

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Kp, MBay, Rond
Favorite Beaches: Kp, MBay, Rond, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board
Engine Harness and sliding

Postby Laughingman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:28 am

edt wrote:going to harsen's island ill let you know if I change my mind
Seriously! I've always wanted to go there. Are you going by private boat or ferry?

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sijandy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 am

William Munney wrote:Exposed to the water- like if you're wearing a shorty or board shorts. The larvae are actually looking for snails but they burrow into human skin and cause an allergic reaction. It's more of a problem when the water is warmer or in some of the swamp like locations where we seek flat water.
ok it's probably not that then, i'm in cold water n wear a full winter suit all the time.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Gen4 Prodigy 5m and 7m
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Mako Classic 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Galaxy board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 am

So I wore my old 4/3 switch wetsuit this Saturday. What an awesome fun day! No new reactions and the reactions I still have are getting better.
Seems the secret ingredients are not my thing....thanks for all of your inputs.
Sincerely
Pete

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:44 pm

I thought I would revive this thread. I am still looking to replace my old 4/3 wetsuit....
I have been wearing my old switch suit without any reaction all year but its time for a new one..
Anyone else have the same problem with the newer formulation neoprene like me? Solutions?
Thanks
Pete

boatppl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Dewey Beach, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Avon, NC

Postby boatppl » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:38 pm

I didn't read the whole thread but I had the same issue with a new suit, it was limited to an area near my knee. Upon inspection, a noticed a loose piece of seem tape right where my knee was irritated. I suspect that I'm allergic to the adhesive since I get a similar reaction epoxies. I liked the suit and it was brand new so I just where a lycra dive skin under it. It's tolerable to go without it for the occasional session but after a week of wearing it everyday in the OBX the rash is annoying.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr. New Brighton (UK), Blackrock Sands.
Style: Freestyle/ Wakestyle noob
Gear: Cab Chaos 11,9 & SB 7m
Hadlow freestyle 138

Postby dragnfly » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:13 am

I'm still wearing the Thermocline top under my suits with no problems 3 years on. I'm so convinced that it sorts the itching out 95% that I have bought a wetsuit to wear next winter instead of the drysuit.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Several things to do.

First of all change your approach to allergy treatment in general.
Stay away from western allergy medications with the exception of emergency treatment.
Do not use them for "comfort".

Eliminate coffee and alcohol. Coffee is made from coffee beans that have incredible complicated chemistry and are pretty much burnt in the roasting process. The roasting of coffee in the USA is
particularly bad with the obsession with dark roast. It's f@#$ing burnt. Incase you had
any doubts just go into Starbucks and ask an employee to point out the "know carcinogen warning sign".

Coffee is also an excellent herbal medication when used by non coffee drinkers and not roster to death.

Alcohol dehydrates you, interferes with the liver, kidneys, blood function.... could go on for ever.

On top of that what you eat makes a huge difference. The reason why is that your most intimate environmental impact is the contact you have with food in your gut. You gut is the largest surface area of your body. What you eat gets rubbed and massaged along the surface of you gut for a very long time. So many allergies even far from your gut can be helped tremendously by improving what you eat.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 pm

What you can do about your wetsuit.....

Sounds like you have allergy issues and something in the wetsuit material is making it worse.
Chances are it's something new is some stupid new feature like the new inside surface.

The fact that Hyperflex responded quickly, but could not/ would not tell you what it's made of is
something to worry about. Sounds to me like they are hiding something. They have to know what the hell their products are made out of.

I would return the wetsuit and go with soothing better.... and best keep it less fancy....

One wetsuit you may want to consider is getting is a Patagonia. They are expensive, but use very good materials and even obtain their rubber base for a renewable plant source rather than synthetic.

Another thing that my help is using a thick thermal rash guard. I use one made by O'Niell.
They tell you what it is made of too. It's like a light fleece. Keeps you warm and dry. Get it on the small size so it really clings well to your body. They also make shorts. Flat lock stitching so no irritation there.

Also best way to look after your wetsuit that is used in fresh water is to give it a salt water soak
after your session. Pretty much anything mold,fungal or bacterial that lives in fresh water will croak in salt water. Lightly runs it off so some salt remains and dry the wetsuit well. Best to use a very big wide wetsuit hanger with a built in fan. Dry your suit quick that way. Then when you use it again wet it with warm slaty water to soften it up so you don't stress it out when getting it on.

One other thing that helped a friend of mine is a Muscle balm. He had sore knees so I recommended Shane's Miracle Muscle Balm. It's a really nice natural heating balm. It's in a natal wax base. It was great for his knees and had the benefit of getting rid of dashing he had on the back of his knees. I love the stuff and use it on my left knee that was broken when a giant sled crashed into me while I was in a gully on skis going up a ski lift as a kid. Never been the same after that accident. I'm not sure how it's working for the rash he had, but it could be a combination of the hot spices see in the blame and the lubricating qualities of the wax. Will also keep water off the skin where the waxy blame is.

http://www.qualityoflife.tv/products/sh ... heat-balm/

zob
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Laughingman, I get basically what you are describing in all the places you mention on my winter 7/6 suit (Billabong). It is kind of tight, but stil comfortable enough.
Imagine rubing a rubber on your wet skin several hours. It would get very irritated.
I imagine this is going on in your suit in the area that stretches the most while moving.
I also noticed my hair being shaved off in that area. And than some hair gets to grow under my skin.
My first bet was, I do not rinse all the sand off.
I tried rash vests and pants. It helps a bit but than I get this s*** where the wrinkles form on the rash vest.

My plan a is loosing some weight for better fit.
Use baby powder.
Buy a new bigger suit!

Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”