Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ram Airs crash in 2014

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:14 pm

to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore

In all my 12 years of kiting I have never seen this happen....I have however done something similar to this with a foil with bridle failure, able to have one tip in the air and sail.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Hawaiis wrote:
Randahl wrote:The North Americans in San Diego this year would have been cut in half if they had last years LEI Edges ASV's Dynos etc. the wind was too light for LEIs to get off the beach. There was one 18m Dyno that didn't make it to the start line until the third day of racing.

Compared to an LEI bridal, yes the foil bridal is a nightmare to untangle. Funny though how all the horror stories seem to be from people who GAVE UP on them after one or two bad experiences. I guess a learning curve couldn't be tolerated. You get one, you make mistakes, you learn your lessons, you make fewer mistakes, your kite stays drier, your bridle stays untangled, your canopy stays unripped.

Also explain how a round tube is aerodynamically superior to a foil shape?
It is not round tube, it is sperm shaped in cross section. the best shape in the world.
And how do you justify this statement?
Best in the world?
R H

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dwaynej » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Pump me up wrote:...If Fred had an inflatable, he would have been able to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore.

...Also, towing a ram air to shore is like towing a sleeping bag full of water - difficult and dangerous.
Foils float really well. The Chrono actually comes with velcro tips to assist letting the air out as shown in the attached tips and techniques video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhznfdatmw

Buddy recently snapped his bridle line and did the whole self rescue thing while also using an edge of his foil to sail home.

Why does anyone even care about what kite others fly? Do you approve of the undies I wear?

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm

dwaynej wrote:
Pump me up wrote:...If Fred had an inflatable, he would have been able to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore.

...Also, towing a ram air to shore is like towing a sleeping bag full of water - difficult and dangerous.
Foils float really well. The Chrono actually comes with velcro tips to assist letting the air out as shown in the attached tips and techniques video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhznfdatmw

Buddy recently snapped his bridle line and did the whole self rescue thing while also using an edge of his foil to sail home.

Why does anyone even care about what kite others fly? Do you approve of the undies I wear?
Exactly. Who cares? Threads like this feel almost like a religious debate. I feel like I'm a kiting atheist. If it flies and I like it, I'll use it. The rest is just fluff.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 pm

revhed wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
Randahl wrote:The North Americans in San Diego this year would have been cut in half if they had last years LEI Edges ASV's Dynos etc. the wind was too light for LEIs to get off the beach. There was one 18m Dyno that didn't make it to the start line until the third day of racing.

Compared to an LEI bridal, yes the foil bridal is a nightmare to untangle. Funny though how all the horror stories seem to be from people who GAVE UP on them after one or two bad experiences. I guess a learning curve couldn't be tolerated. You get one, you make mistakes, you learn your lessons, you make fewer mistakes, your kite stays drier, your bridle stays untangled, your canopy stays unripped.

Also explain how a round tube is aerodynamically superior to a foil shape?
It is not round tube, it is sperm shaped in cross section. the best shape in the world.
And how do you justify this statement?
Best in the world?
R H
Without Sperm shapes, there would be no you. Wouldn't you think it is the best? And without bladder, you will need to wear adult diapers. :rollgrin:

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

You can tell when foils are doing well because Pumpy comes out of the woodwork. Next up GalahOnTheBay will start posting on seabreeze again. Has anyone seen Jeremy lately?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm

I was flying a 12m speed and 12m chrono the other day.

What horrible kites! :rollgrin:

They had way too much lift and glide.

I had to stop jumping the Chrono on the landboard as I was just jumping far to high above land and gliding way to long!. I was also grinning and screaming out with far too much joy. Fun factor is definitely exceeding acceptable levels.

For those who don't want to jump high in light winds or crank up wind like a lunatic. Don't buy the latest foils. They will provide you with far to much lift and upwind angles.....
chrono jump.jpg

FoilYouDown
Rare Poster

Postby FoilYouDown » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 am

Well, if it isn't my old nemesis, pumpy. You must be either at home again since the wind is too low to even thinking about pumping up your tubes, or you are on holiday from your job at the mall where you can be found incessantly boasting to the cadres of disinterested local teenagers about your many many "accomplishments" in exchange for loose cigarettes. :lol:

Here we are, 2014 is almost over. Despite the overhyped and proud boasts from pump kite lovers, the lightwind pump kites promised over the last few years are CRASHING in 2014.

It's interesting to note that NO pump kites..... no NOT ONE.... can be found anywhere near the beach on those beautiful summer days where the wind is less than expected.

It hasn't happened. The Dyno, Infinity and Fatlady have been found to be as deficient as other pump kites. Their low end is 10-12 knots, at best. They are INFERIOR on downwind legs (popping bladders, not relaunching, etc). Relaunch is a NIGHTMARE. It is highly prone to inverting and just sitting there. They are unstable and jerky in gusty conditions. Despite the overhyped claims, the Dyno, Infinity and Fatlady do not work in anything but the best winds (where the foils are already jumping), and are an unmitigated DISASTER for anything other than protecting the sand from sun damage on low wind days. They SHOULD NOT be used for many conditions.

As indicated at the outset, the SO CALLED lightwind pump kites are as aerodynamically INFERIOR as other pump kites, and cannot compete with foils in general kiting , low end capability, or jumping early and often.

Ignore the LIES. pump kites, including the "light wind" ones, are grossly inferior compared to foils.

Kind regards,
Foil You Down :bye:

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:49 am

I've only seen one ram air kite in action..... the speed 19 ended up in the drink unable to relaunch in 11mph... I was on a 17m 2009 waroo and cruising and relaunching nicely. The guy had to drag the kite back. Luckily the water level was low and he could walk back.

SimonP
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rotorua Lakes, Maketu, NZ
Favorite Beaches: Aotea, Maroochydore, Faro, Aitutaki
Style: Foiling, free-style, waves
Gear: J-shapes foil, Switch kites, Underground twintips, misc surfboards.

Postby SimonP » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:36 am

If foil kites aren't competitive, why are some parties trying to get them banned?
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2014/ ... onference/

Return to “Kitesurfing”