Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a new control bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: making a new control bar

Postby Faxie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am

styleito wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 am
Faxie,

Where did you get your chicken-loop?
https://www.kiteattitude.fr/

Among some other parts (clamcleat, rings, lineretainers). The trim bracket + stopperball is from Switch, PU from work and Aliexpress (don't recommend it if exact size is important, red hose tiny bit thicker than black, had trouble to get it inside the floaters), flying lines from Infexion, other dyneema lines from a sailing store, North safetline swivel from a dealer, bargrips are from HQ kites, various stopper balls from Aliexpress. That's about it I think.

Sefiz
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish
Spleene
North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sefiz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am

Looks very nice! Also the PU arround the Safety Line.

How does the safety slide through the QR? With the PU or is the PU fixed and the line slides inside the PU?
And how is the holding line fixed in the QR? Is it fixed with a loop arround the silver piece on top? The pictures in the shop let only assume this.

styleito
Medium Poster
Style: ito
Gear: Too much and not enough

Postby styleito » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Faxie wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:27 am
styleito wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 am
Faxie,

Where did you get your chicken-loop?
https://www.kiteattitude.fr/

Among some other parts (clamcleat, rings, lineretainers). The trim bracket + stopperball is from Switch, PU from work and Aliexpress (don't recommend it if exact size is important, red hose tiny bit thicker than black, had trouble to get it inside the floaters), flying lines from Infexion, other dyneema lines from a sailing store, North safetline swivel from a dealer, bargrips are from HQ kites, various stopper balls from Aliexpress. That's about it I think.
Thanks.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Sefiz wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am
Looks very nice! Also the PU arround the Safety Line.

How does the safety slide through the QR? With the PU or is the PU fixed and the line slides inside the PU?
And how is the holding line fixed in the QR? Is it fixed with a loop arround the silver piece on top? The pictures in the shop let only assume this.

The dyneema should sit tight in the PU, so the entire PU slides through the QR. Plenty of room, also for the loop/loop connection. I tested the bar today, and found out that the dyneema doesn't sit supertight in the PU, so I can either glue it to the plastic swivel, make a knot on top of the PU, or use thicker dyneema (which will be extremely difficult to pull though I'm afraid) I think I'm gonna glue it.

The mainline is fixed with a loop that wraps around the silver piece. I've taken a 4mm dyneema line, and spliced it into itself for 60cm, so I get a 5,5mm line with a loop on one end. The PU is 8/5.5 and sits very very VERY tight around the dyneema. Had a lot of trouble to pull it over the line, lol. Heatgun helped a lot.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Ok, so one thing I don't like, and especially with a longer chicken loop, is that the suicide ring always gets pulled down when you unhook and release the bar. North/Duotone has a pretty nice way to keep the ring at the top of the loop, but that's not possible with my QR, so I came up with a solution. There's some room between the release cap and body, so I've lockspliced a dyneema loop with 2 rings attached, and wrapped it around the ring. The 2 rings can then be put in (cap has to be lifted just slightly, so no release) and the leash can be attached to the loop. When you pull the safety, the loop and rings detach from the QR.

Some pictures:

Seems to work fine, but I have to test it on the water too.

Any thoughts/comments/improvements/alternative?

Return to “Kitesurfing”