Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a new control bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: making a new control bar

Postby Laughingman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 am

How about using a thinner line. This is 6mm am steel. I have some 4mm Amsteel I could use?

Dub
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dub » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:19 am

I changed to an old slingshot cleat, works great.
Attachments
IMG_2229.JPG

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Dub,

That looks like a torch set up, so the OP might need a little more sheeting range at the bar.

Also looks like you run the 5th through the guide the cleat is on. Be sure it maintains easy slide when rear lines pull the bar up against that little black ball where it could potentially pin the safety line. I would not run it though the casing but just thread it through the SS ring at the top where the single front line attaches. My cleats look like this:
ozone_clamcleat-1.jpg
ozone_clamcleat-1.jpg (4.05 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
you can have a tiny SS ring threaded on the line as it snakes its way through the base as a guide for the safety line. I don't bother and like I said, just run it through the 1" SS ring at the top. Either way, just be sure yours won't bind when you need it most.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 pm

dub, something in that picture looks off. It looks like you have a single center flagging line where the left line is larks headed to a d shackle and the right line goes all the way to the chicken loop. You can't do that because it creates uneven tension and will eventually tear the chicken loop release in half because it will have too much tension on the flag out line which is not designed to carry load. It is ok to double lark's head to the D shackle above and run a true 5th line down to the chicken loop. Or you can use a swivel where the D shackle is.

It's possible I am missing something in the picture, maybe there is a hidden line I don't see.
Last edited by edt on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Hey Starsky

Where are you buying that cleat from? I can't find it for less then $22 anywhere... which seems insane considering Switch is selling there cleat for $6..... out of stock always but still ....

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Check West Marine you can get basic cleats cheap. Thats where I get mine from.

Dub
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dub » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 am

It is for a Torch setup, so it is a true 5th line. I know its different from what you are looking for but I just thought I would show you my setup as I replaced the strap for a cleat.

The guide that the cleat is attached too is fixed, its also off an old Slingshot bar, an 06 Fuel bar I think. The 5th has no problem sliding through it. I'll post a picture of the guide if I have time later.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 am

ah ok. I only saw 4 lines for some reason tks.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:53 am

EDT, the torch has a single front line from the D ring that splits at a Y much higher up.

Dub, I'm sure your fine I just thought I'd mention it.

My torch bar is pretty much exactly like yours with the cleat I pictured and the 2013 bar.

Laughingman, Got them through a marine store in town. Not west marine, a smaller outfit, but anyone who deals in clam cleat can get em. I ordered a few at once a little over a year ago and they were 14 a piece.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:14 am

anyone ever make the actual bar? thinking I don't need as much strength as standard bars have for kiting with hydrofoil as there's much less power needed... also would be nice to make something super thin to work well with gloves.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Return to “Kitesurfing”