Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

making a new control bar

Postby edt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:45 am

I'm making another control bar almost finished fabricated some parts on my own used some spares for other parts but now I just need one more part.

The quick release chicken loop part. I don't want to fabricate this part, because safety.

Shopping around I notice the ozone push away is $80. Bit rich. The switch chicken loop quick release is $32 not bad, but it looks cheap. I might go for that one. Naish calls theirs the "smartloop" and has it listed for about $200 not sure who is buying that one. Slingshot calls theirs the "Slingshot Chicken Loop Comp Stick Upgrade" and it is listed for about $200 this one is actually very nice, has the suicide connector, very solid construction but a bit rich.

Who else is building control bars? Let me know if you have a good source for a nice chicken loop. I don't want some cheap crap part of the reason for building your own bar is to make sure every component on it is exactly like you want, but I don't want to spend $200 either.

Advice?
Last edited by edt on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: making a new control bar

Postby blu » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:08 am

I got switch bar and it's solid, works great, nothing cheap about it
they copied North Bar, whole bar with lines $275

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:40 am

Same here, I'm super picky on equipment (and safety) and I have been doing my own bars for last few years. Switch bar and depower cleat are among the best in the market. The chicken loop is not the best in market but definitely good enough (on functionality and safety). It does not feel cheap. I have released it several times in waves, hi wind etc. and always worked perfectly. I use Q-Power lines on all my bars.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 am

out of stock. Now that I think about it, I have clicked on that chicken loop quick release for a few years and it's never been in stock.

Other suggestions?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:31 am

edt wrote:out of stock. Now that I think about it, I have clicked on that chicken loop quick release for a few years and it's never been in stock.

Other suggestions?
Nothing available to date checks all my boxes but OR says they are redesigning theirs... Might be worth the wait?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:45 am

Laughingman wrote:
edt wrote:out of stock. Now that I think about it, I have clicked on that chicken loop quick release for a few years and it's never been in stock.

Other suggestions?
Nothing available to date checks all my boxes but OR says they are redesigning theirs... Might be worth the wait?
I'm leaning towards the ozone megatron 2 push away. Ocean Rodeo has that mini-5th not really a problem I can drill a hole or two and add single line flagout, but it's nicer when it's already on the QR

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks
Has thanked: 0

Postby baobob » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:36 am

I didn't make a bar from scratch (at some point I'd like to do it). But I modified my Flexifoil one.
I changed the QR to the Ozone push away, and I modified the 5th line safety.

I decide the Ozone QR for three reasons:
1) it's a push away and it's easy to rearm
2) come with pu depower line
3) it's fairly priced.

Please post pics of your bar when you're done.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:58 am

baobob wrote:I didn't make a bar from scratch (at some point I'd like to do it). But I modified my Flexifoil one.
I changed the QR to the Ozone push away, and I modified the 5th line safety.

I decide the Ozone QR for three reasons:
1) it's a push away and it's easy to rearm
2) come with pu depower line
3) it's fairly priced.

Please post pics of your bar when you're done.
Hey, how does the flag out line fit into the new megatron? I usually make my own elastic line but I double the thickness (makes it last much longer) and then drill out any holes where the safety passes through. Can I do that with the new push away or does the line get too close to moving parts to drill it out.

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:19 am

I've always liked SS bars/release.

The new SS guardian upgrade kit looks to be $150. Maybe still a little steep. It looks like all the components are available so you might be able to get that down further if for example you didn't want a/their donkey dick, trim handle, etc.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/Guardian ... FcNuZPF9yE

Detail of the internal parts:

I can't find many of the parts needed for the older compstick release, maybe they have them lying around still and would be willing to sell? Give them a call.

Alternatively, eBay has a few of the older compstick bars (i.e. new 2012 bar for $260 buy it now). A used one should be able to refurb pretty easy with a new elastic band and maybe the plastic butter box. Worth considering if you wanted lineset/spare parts for future builds.

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks
Has thanked: 0

Postby baobob » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:50 am

@edt I just checked my QR. the hole for the safety is as big as the hole dor the depower line so I guess about 6mm.
I don't think you can drill it out as it's pretty long and the last part is in metal.

When I changed my QR I went to a shop with the bar to check if it was good for my bar. They didn't have any problem to let me try the QR on the bar and finally I paid for it just 69NZD.

@jjm me too I like the compstick bar (even if i'm not fan of the below bar depower) but edt is looking for a QR only. And 150 bucks is almost twice as 80!

Return to “Kitesurfing”