Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

making a new control bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: making a new control bar

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm

darippah wrote:anyone ever make the actual bar? thinking I don't need as much strength as standard bars have for kiting with hydrofoil as there's much less power needed... also would be nice to make something super thin to work well with gloves.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Here is a bunch of info, good starting point.
http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/zp/bars.html

I am currently working on bar end design which I will likely mill out of a block of what we call puck board... I don't know if it is strong enough...? I have a bunch of old bars I could use if I had the bar ends I liked.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Laughingman wrote:
darippah wrote:anyone ever make the actual bar? thinking I don't need as much strength as standard bars have for kiting with hydrofoil as there's much less power needed... also would be nice to make something super thin to work well with gloves.

any thoughts or suggestions?
Here is a bunch of info, good starting point.
http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/zp/bars.html

I am currently working on bar end design which I will likely mill out of a block of what we call puck board... I don't know if it is strong enough...? I have a bunch of old bars I could use if I had the bar ends I liked.
When I broke my old bar, I was considering getting an aluminum shaft, knurling it, and machining out the center hole to make a custom bar...and then anodize it. Probably more work than it's worth. If you look around, you can find a good bar blank NOS for a reasonable price that would suit your needs, but if you must, I certainly want to see it.

A quick google shows puck board to be HDPE....I think nylon might be a better material to start with, but just an idea.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 pm

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/To ... st_Bar.jpg

Toast knows how to make a clean bar. 06 RRD carbon

Blake
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks and Presqu'ile
Favorite Beaches: Mirlo Beach in Hatteras
Style: Old school
Gear: Board Riding Maui and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Blake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Greg at Board Riding Maui has reduced the typical bar to the absolute minimal solution, works great, and it's clean and safe! KISS principle taken to another level!

Check it out....!
Attachments
7359144_orig.jpg
Clean, simple, and safe!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Blake wrote:Greg at Board Riding Maui has reduced the typical bar to the absolute minimal solution, works great, and it's clean and safe! KISS principle taken to another level!

Check it out....!
Hah that is a bit over simplified, I like a clean bar but still it should have adjustable width, below the bar swivel, bar ends to wrap your lines etc.....

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Blake wrote:Greg at Board Riding Maui has reduced the typical bar to the absolute minimal solution, works great, and it's clean and safe! KISS principle taken to another level!

Check it out....!
Hah that is a bit over simplified, I like a clean bar but still it should have adjustable width, below the bar swivel, bar ends to wrap your lines etc.....
It does have adjustable width, and you can throw the ring away and replace it with a swivel.

Can't do much about the bar ends tho...

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX

Postby t3rse » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 pm

^ what is the bar actually made of?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:35 pm

I think that the most troublesome part of construction of a bar is the "hole". First, figure out how to make the “hole” so that it won’t chew up your power line, and then, build the rest of the bar.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:30 am

t3rse wrote:^ what is the bar actually made of?

It is metal.....feels and looks like some specific (better) grade of aluminum alloy. I say that because it is very light but feels feels harder and more scratch resistant than most aluminum products.

It is indeed very simplified. A first reaction of some is that it is too simplified....like as in not having those plastic horn ends to wrap the lines. But I wrap my lines much faster (and unwrap and rig much faster) with my BRM CS bar than with my other standard bars. Ask anyone who is using the CS and I think they will say the same. So I don't miss those on land. And most importantly, I don't miss them on the water. If they don't contribute to flying and I can even make it work better without them before and after flying, why have them? (Check out the line wrap on their website).

The line width...distance between steering lines. I just leave them where they are for all my kites. Keeping it simple. I know other bars have these things that click and rotate and such to give two different widths. But as was noted above, by sliding these lines inward on the CS you actually have infinite adjustment (obviously the outermost position has a max).

True about the swivel. I could add a swivel to mine....thought about doing that....but after using it for a few months, decided not to and to continue to keep it simple. I tend to loop both ways so over a session it pretty much evens out. so I don't worry about it. If it turns out I have looped 6 to 8 times one way more than another before the session is over....I just loop a bunch to under the other way to undo it. Less than 8 one way...I don't worry, the flag still works fine. Anyway...it would be easy to add a swivel at the bar connection point if you wanted.

When I first used the bar I thought there were a bunch of things I would "add back" to the bar. Week by week of using it....each of those simplifications make sense...then you want to keep it as it was designed, all for a reason.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:58 pm

The simplicity of Greg's design is pretty inspiring. So much so that I'm trying to lighten up my alpine foil bar. Eliminating the trim strap seems obvious as I haven't touched it in years. Now I can tweak trim at few knots where the Y-line connects to the chicken loop line. Maybe even the chicken loop will be the next to go, but I do like a center flag line chickenloop with swivel. The only criticism I have of Greg's setup is that there is no redundancy to not lose the whole enchilada if you goof and pull lower red release. Dang, maybe I'll grind off the plastic bar ends too. Greg's line-wrapping system looks great.

Return to “Kitesurfing”