Style: Free style
Gear: I will buy my first one
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First gear

Postby fernandoagf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:46 am

I´m buying my first kiteboarding gear and I would like some help:

1) Is Cabrinha swtichblade a good kite for someone starting? I want a long lasting kite.

2) How do I shop for boards? What features should I look for?

3) Any recomendation on harnesses?

Thanks a lot,

Fernando

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Re: First gear

Postby flybykite » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:30 am

Welcome to kitesurfing lifestyle.

1) Yes, a switchblade would be a good starting point but a kite will only last as long as how it is treated. They are a well built kite as you would expect. Are you buying new or second hand? From new, you will likely get 200-350 sessions before it dies. Used? who knows. Depends on the condition of the fabric and abuse.
2) The size and kind of a board depends on your weight and a little on your height and the conditions you will be riding. Larger boards in the beginning is helpful in stability. Something like 140x42 or for a guy between 150 - 180lbs and around 6 feet tall in 20 knots.
I use the Shinn Monk and like it for its all around capabilities. Most brands have an all around styled board. Try one of those.
3) Harness fit and feel will vary a lot between riders. For my skinny build, I like the mystic Warrior waist harness. Try on a few in a shop if possible.

Make sure you take all the proper lessons and know your gear really well.
See you on the water

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:48 pm

I didn't really like switchblades when I was learning, but many people do. One thing to be aware of is that if you buy one new, the lines will stretch and you will have to re-tune the bar a couple times in the first 6 months. It's not a big deal but it's something you will have to do to keep the kite flying properly. If you don't want to do this, I'd recommend looking at non-stretchy lines, like Slingshot, Liquid Force, Best.

Board size depends on your size, if you're under 75kg I'd recommend something under 135cm, and if you're more than that, something around 140cm.

Harness is 100% personal preference, you really need to go to a shop to try them on if possible. If you can't do that, there are a couple harnesses that I think work for most body types - the Dakine harnesses (Renegade, Pyro), Mystic Majestic, the LF harnesses.

fernandoagf
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza, Cumbuco, Lagoinha and Jericoaquara - CE - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Lagoinha, CE - Brazil
Not crowded, strong and continuous wind
Style: Free style
Gear: I will buy my first one

Postby fernandoagf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:15 am

Hello everybody,

thanks for the quick answers. I´m having private lessons right now, but you know how that works, the teacher always want to sell me his equipment but I´d rather buy a new one from another brand, that´s why I was asking about the switchblade.

I live in the northeast coast in Brazil, and the wind here is very constant most of the year. I learning on a 10m kite, but in 6 months I will problably have to use a 12m.

So what I´ve decided from here is that the kite will be switchblade, the harness dakine( I was wearing an ION on my lessons but it kept coming up even being well tight) and the board is there another feature besides size that I should be looking for? I was looking it up on north website and they seem to have a lot of features that I don´t know which one will be right for me.

Regards,

Fernando

Return to “Kitesurfing”