Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who will make it into the 2015 King of the Air?

forum for kitesurfers

jens
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: madison wi
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Who will make it into the 2015 King of the Air?

Postby jens » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:25 pm

I do believe that if Dimitri really wanted it he can win. Although I have not ridden with any of the other competitors I have been on the water with and seen D kite, and with his will , skill , downright crazy mentality and the thing toby lacks most GUTS... well I wouldn't bet against him.

"Strongest kite on the market" dude go smoke some more cigs

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Very much looking forward to see who gets through & to see how they do :D

Just a quick reminder of what they're up against :naughty:

http://youtu.be/N66ZZPNAki0

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 pm

ah! Dimitri was at the top of his game at a time Duran Duran were still singing

as an ex-pro-athlete he´ll wipe the floor with most recreational riders, not matter how good and how in shape they are. but at KOTA he´ll face kids that are playing an even harder game he used to play and they do it as their day to day job

KOTA seems to be less technical and more heart and soul than PKRA, but still will be surprised if he goes through till the finals

but I do hope he´s selected. loved his video and how he claimed being good at going upwind!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:38 pm

Would also love to see Dimitri in the comp and would hope to see him take it as far as his 45 year old bod will carry him.

I just think if you really look at the footage provided above and try and apply it to all the riders being toughted as able to truly compete. There is a point where you have to realize that so much of what you know of a rider comes from edited footage in particular locations and conditions. On demand, in a heat in raging cape town conditions, the truth is laid bare. Even Ruben is getting to the upper age bracket for this type of comp, and it is his bread and butter. The podium is for the pro's in their prime and that is what we have seen year after year.

Dont get me wrong. Like everyone over the age of 30 (90% of kiters), I'll be cheering for him should he get in. Maybe Granny D could do his first heat for him.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:32 pm

jens wrote:"Strongest kite on the market" dude go smoke some more cigs
I said most powerful meaning deep profile.

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: waves,big air,megaloops,hydrofoil
Gear: Epic kites,g-force boards,cohete surfboards
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites

Postby nikalaitzian » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:39 pm

Toby wrote:Dimitri will kick ass. Promised. He can win it, I am very positive about it.
He has the variety, the style, the show, the power, the height.

I hope to see him in the final with Tom Hebert...will be a close decision. The higher one will win.
But in that final the show will be ON !!! :thumb:
Me and D allready planing the trip.If he got hurt or die i will take his place :naughty: :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

hahaha, would be so fun if he goes out as Granny D and does his show...crowd would go wild! :thumb:

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Starsky wrote:Would also love to see Dimitri in the comp and would hope to see him take it as far as his 45 year old bod will carry him.

I just think if you really look at the footage provided above and try and apply it to all the riders being toughted as able to truly compete. There is a point where you have to realize that so much of what you know of a rider comes from edited footage in particular locations and conditions. On demand, in a heat in raging cape town conditions, the truth is laid bare. Even Ruben is getting to the upper age bracket for this type of comp, and it is his bread and butter. The podium is for the pro's in their prime and that is what we have seen year after year.

Dont get me wrong. Like everyone over the age of 30 (90% of kiters), I'll be cheering for him should he get in. Maybe Granny D could do his first heat for him.
Spot on - and as a 45 yr old, I'd love to see Dim & Pointy Toe'd Tobes blasting those young pretenders (Kevin Langeree, Lenten, Fourie, Aaron Hadlow, Jesse Richman, Tom Herbert & Billy Parker) off the water - but anyone thinking they stand the remotest chance is dillusional - for comparison, check the board-off in the clip above @ 3:19 that looks level with Table Mountain - bet he's not flying an 18m Dyno :allbegood:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 pm

That's a basic boardoff on the tail. Like Dimitri cannot jump that high and take it off like that?

Come on. Watch his Epic Attacks and see what he is capable off. No matter the conditions.

Ask if any of the kids would have jumped that house several times... google it if you don't know what I mean !!!!

(ok, Nick would have done it ;-) )

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Unfortunately King of the Air as it currently is being run is not particularly skill testing. If you can megaloop and jump high you have a chance to win. So yeah, dimitri can definitely win. Actually anyone can win, just hit a gust at the right time, you win your heat, make it to the finals and hit another gust. I would love it if they changed the judging criteria just a little bit, the contest would be so much better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”