Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RRD Cotan vs Firewire Vanguard

Postby ulx » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:16 pm

felixp wrote:This page might give more insight.

From people that actually have ridden the actual board.

http://www.straplesskitesurfing.com/201 ... tesurfing/
This is good information. As some other in this or the vanguard thread.

I tried the board myself and liked it. I think it is very nice and good for many conditions. What I find really annoying is how people argue like it was the Holy Grale of kitesurfing and even more unnerving is that nobody else in the hole wide world is supposed to be able to produce a board with equal let alone better properties. I like hipe and debates, but this sounds more like religion to me.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am

ulx wrote:

I tried the board myself and liked it. I think it is very nice and good for many conditions. What I find really annoying is how people argue like it was the Holy Grale of kitesurfing and even more unnerving is that nobody else in the hole wide world is supposed to be able to produce a board with equal let alone better properties. I like hipe and debates, but this sounds more like religion to me.
+1

Marketing for dummies......

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:16 am

DP
Last edited by FredBGG on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:23 am

Quote from the above link:

Anything to add ?
Now regarding aesthetic, I have heard a bit of everything on it: let's say that in 2015, all brands follow the "TOMO board" shape, more or less.

The truth is that pretty much all boards are an evolution from others. This BS claim that everyone is copying the Vanguard is just another marketing stunt (or belly flop).

Talking about evolution ... anyone remember the Naish Sky Pirate TT Directional 4,10" Flash Austin signature model.

Contoured entry rocker. Cut off tail and nose. Surfboard shaped rails.

Plenty of "tomo" shaped boards in the past... fashion come back.... most often improved.

What made these types of boards less popular in the past is that the kites were totally different.
Today with loads of depower and fast kites this type of shape is back.
Great in certain conditions, but no holy grail.

Burley Surfboards was making similar shapes in 2010:

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:56 pm

FredBGG wrote:
ulx wrote:

+1

Marketing for dummies......

Think you might benefit by reading this book Fred. Not all companies are copying the Tomo model. It looks like only the kite companies are. How much R and D do you really think RRD, Slingshot, Naish, and North put into their surfboard designs? Only speculation here, but I'm thinking most of their R and D efforts go into kite design. Why do you think North, Liquid Force, and BWS use shapers like DHD, Rawson, Admunson, and Stretch to design their surf line? So, who is really buying into the marketing hype here? To me, it's the people that will drop $900-$1100 on a board like the Cotan, T-Rex, or Skater instead of a design that been tested by professional surfers and shop riders not to mention all the amatures who have been raving about them on the surf forums. With that said, I was still skeptical about dropping 750 on a Vanguard since I get most of my surfboards for kiting on Craig's for less than 400. Until I demo'd one. You really should demo one yourself Fred, you might be surprised.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

i've tried the 5'0 and 5'6" Vanguards. The 5'0" was too small for me, just barely. The 5'6" was too large. But both boards felt like riding on a carpet. I was impressed. Are they the next coming of Christ? No, but damn good boards from an initial run. I don't understand the negativity. If I hear of a board I don't like, for whatever reason, I just don't pay attention to it anymore. Why the need to pull down the stoke of those that do, or add fire to those that don't, is beyond me. Sure, if the board broke immediately, that would be grounds to alert the world. But those I know who use this board regularly REALLY like it and that's just something you cannot argue with, no matter how much they may try to market it as well. BTW, a 5'4" is on my radar for purchase...apologies if that sounds like marketing hype.

TPink
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby TPink » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:16 pm

jkrug wrote:i've tried the 5'0 and 5'6" Vanguards. The 5'0" was too small for me, just barely. The 5'6" was too large. But both boards felt like riding on a carpet. I was impressed. Are they the next coming of Christ? No, but damn good boards from an initial run. I don't understand the negativity. If I hear of a board I don't like, for whatever reason, I just don't pay attention to it anymore. Why the need to pull down the stoke of those that do, or add fire to those that don't, is beyond me. Sure, if the board broke immediately, that would be grounds to alert the world. But those I know who use this board regularly REALLY like it and that's just something you cannot argue with, no matter how much they may try to market it as well. BTW, a 5'4" is on my radar for purchase...apologies if that sounds like marketing hype.
Nice...

i'm looking as well, if you don't mind, what's your height / weight?

Hope you get your 5'4 for Xmas...

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 pm

TPink wrote: i'm looking as well, if you don't mind, what's your height / weight?

6'3", 210 lbs

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm about 155-160lbs and have the 5.0. For me it needs power. If the wind is good and solid like 18-25 it's great but below that my shinnster is better.

Just getting the hang of the vanguard and it's much more nimble than anything else i have had.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:06 pm

JKrug you are a fairly big guy so your opinion has merit with me. I am looking at the same boards and the 5'4 is now the one that seems right for me (6'1 and 200lbs). Thanks for the quick post as it was very useful.

James

Return to “Kitesurfing”