Best Surfboard For Wind Waves

forum for kitesurfers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best Surfboard For Wind Waves

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Starsky wrote:I have one of each for use in mostly Great Lakes waves and they make for very different sessions and tend to suit different wind ranges.

Just like a kite quiver, a board quiver just helps you better suit the conditions and desired style.

I like less kite, so love the fish. I could do a lot more days on the shortboard, by sizing up a kite, but it feels similar to riding a surfboard in chop because most lake waves just don't have the guts to power the narrower board, so its a little more hit and run on a narrower shape. You can still air, carve really hard and send buckets, but its definitely kiting in waves instead of riding waves with a kite.

Both are fun. I think the simple way to think of it is going by board width, where just like kites size, wider is for lower winds with weaker waves, and as the wind or waves gain power you switch down to something narrower.
Totally agree - you gotta have both really, for each end :thumb:

But he is only searching for "one" I think - so he has to decide what he think will give him most :naughty:

8) Peter

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm 72 kg and what I'm after is to actually surf the waves, let the kite drift.

I also like to do strapless airs but that's secondary. I've never actually ridden a surfboard strapped before.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:46 pm

If I had to choose, personally it would be the fish. Or said another way, I would advise you get the fish first. It just covers so much more territory. Gets fun earlier and stays pretty fun as long as you have small kites. Its also a lot easier to learn all the transitions.

Something like this:
LOST_RNF-5_Studio_Shot_700x700.jpg
LOST_RNF-5_Studio_Shot_700x700.jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
I think of my shortboard a lot like my smallest kites. They get used the least, but when they get pulled out its for some of the years best sessions.

Peters right, eventually you need both.

i96dansa
Rare Poster

Postby i96dansa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi,
I've got an Underground Freewave 5,8 and an f-one Signature 5,11 and a ss Celeritas 5,8 (2014).
I would say it depends on the quality of the wind at your spot.
If the wind is consistent and strong, there's nothing better than the signature.
If the wind is fluky or gusty, I'd go with the Celeritas because it has a lot more volume, helping you to stay afloat in the luls.

I find myself picking the celeritas over and again (to my surprise, as I love the carve of the signature) because there's nothing worse than not having power/not planing fully.

Those are the only 3 wave boards I've ever owned so I'm really not the best person to give you advice but I would recommend the celeritas.

I'm 86kg naked so about 90kg with all my gear (yupp, it's cold here) and I've been kiting since 2001.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:46 am

I have a BWS Drifter 5.9. Love it in all sorts of waves sloppy or clean. An upwind machine. Maybe not the ideal board when the waves get bigger or really powered.

I also have an Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, which is stupidly fun in junky wind slop waves. Technically a twintip, not a surfboard, but I think it's somewhere between a skateboard, snowboard, and rocket hovercraft. Laugh out loud, punch the air, hooting and hollering fun on the right day. :lol:

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby cleepa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 am

FredBGG wrote:Dick Van Strallen Rasta Fish Aviso edition.
Twin fin fish with a deep swallow tail. I always have fun with it while doing "motocross" strapless in raging wind swell whitewater.
Aviso might not be in business anymore. Their voicemail and email boxes were full when I tried calling over the summer. No updates in a couple of years on the website or on Facebook, either...
juandesooka wrote:I have a BWS Drifter 5.9. Love it in all sorts of waves sloppy or clean. An upwind machine. Maybe not the ideal board when the waves get bigger or really powered.
I used to have the old square tail SS Celeritas. The BWS Drifter looks to be the evolution of that board. Definitely agree that it's not great on bigger waves - that wide tail was annoying! But great upwind and very fast. Same with the new Celeritas, but now less annoying when it's bigger, still super fast and now turns so much better.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 am

Cabrinha Secret Weapon is really good for wind waves. I'm 72 kg and have the 5'6"... the 5'2" I'm assuming would be very fun too. Its a retro fish style... rides bigher than size. I chose 5'6" as its also nice for good wave quality. 5'10" is a beast and better for better waves. For TT in the waves .. +1 on OR Mako. The 150 is solid too.

herbert
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 am

A solution that's easy on the budget: If the only thing you don't like about your Shinnster in these specific conditions is that it is too fast, you could just put bigger fins on it. That will slow it down.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 am

For wind and big waves, I use my Naish 5'10 Gun, as little else really handles these conditions - whereas the Gun, feels like a knife through butter.

Fishes are ok, but I don't like the level of windage they are affected by in windy conditions & even in wind blown chop, they feel a bit too slappy for me. I like fishes in low wind conditions, then they are sublime.

For normal wind/wave conditions - I like small/fast boards as they track better, give me more board control and have less windage - one of my favourite boards for this is a 4'8 Stretch Peter Trow Directional - mine has a tow-in rocker line to handle more speed & its surprisingly easy to gybe.

Return to “Kitesurfing”