Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Blade Fat Lady v3

Postby dracop » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:35 am

Ok so after much agonizing I bit the bullet and bought a Blade Fat Lady v3. Just got it in today via FedEx and took her out for a spin here in the FL Keys as the wind range was 15-23 mph.

It was a great session even if the wind didnt come in as forecast - I thought I was going to be testing the high end of the range and ended up testing the low end of the range. Overall though it did a great job, I was able to ride, do aerials, tricks, etc. while everyone else was unable to do anything other than mow the lawn. And yes, it DOES kiteloop. I had some decent gusts where I was able to pop off the water nicely and do a full kiteloop (not a megaloop, just regular KL, Im still noob munch at KLs) before I landed in the water.

The way I have it setup it basically flys like a light wind Bandit 7.Soft, floaty, very responsive, likes to pop. Favored angle is right about 45 degrees. Its very lively and you need to give it active management to get the most out of the kite - passive grunt wise its slightly weaker than my 2013 NRG 16m. But the ability to combine roughly that level of power with active flying (like an Open C) lets you really power up when you need it. I had to go help rescue a guy with a surf board and a 14m Switchblade who just couldnt get up - he is an intermediate local rider and knows his business. Granted, I worked that kite like no tomorrow but I like responsive kites that work with me :)

Overall its a great kite, amazed they are not better known in Florida. Some minor quirks - the Inflate valve ball does not stop air leaking out when inflating, been a while since I saw a valve design that didnt stop airflow out. I took a video of it to send to Blade, curious if thats working as is. Not a huge deal, I was able to use my pump to get it solid and close it up without much loss. Still, this is 2014 not 2004 - I expect some type of air tight system ala LF or SS.The kite pulls downwind quite abit - not a problem for me as I am extremely efficient at going upwind when I want, but the downwind pull was there. Thats not something I have had to deal with on my RPM or NRGs, the 16m NRG in particular is super efficient at upwind. Anyways I love having the kite happy sitting next to the power zone as I can swoop in for power. But I am leery of loaning this kite out to any of my beginner/intermediate friends as I think they would just get dragged downwind on it. Bar pressure was non-existent until I moved to the lowest knot on my bar, even during gusts. Note that I am using a 2013 Liquid Force 55cm CPR bar not a Blade Unibar.

Tricks tried: Backrolls, Double backrolls, aerial kiteloops using backhand, waterstart kiteloops (went into the Middle for these - loved it!), heliloops, aerial transitions, inverted transitions. Landed just about everything, the floaty nature of the kite makes it easy. Was not pushing anything new as its a brand new kite and I was getting to know the Lady. Ran into a guy flying a v2 Fat Lady so we were comparing them (see the pic).

225lb / 6'0" rider in 15-23 mph warm winds on a 145x44 TT, current same direction as wind, in shallow flat/light chop.

Will post again to update once I have several sessions, trying to get a video of an aerial KL with the FL.
Attachments
IMG_0747.JPG
Fat Lady v3 sitting next to FL v2

Peachez54
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Blade Fat Lady v3

Postby Peachez54 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:52 am

It sure is a fun kite :-)
Have you tried flying it with the included 4m line extensions? It makes quite a difference in it's already great low-end.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:06 pm

I did not get extensions with my kite, although I did not buy it complete, just bought the kite only running on my existing 55cm LF 2013 CPR bar w/23m lines. Hmm I will email Blade to see if I was supposed to get those extensions.

Blade normally does 19+4+4 = 27. I do have 7m extensions separately on a different set of lines (so I could make 30m lines) and will prob be getting a set of 20m lines so I will try it out at the recommended 27m at some point. I considered adding on my extensions to see how it would do but didnt wish to leave the water as I was having fun and I knew the wind was going away for a week after that session.

One thing though, I normally hate extensions because they make the kite turn slow. I like a fast, active kite not a passive one - the kite is pretty good as is. How bad do the extensions slow the kite down? Its more aerial real estate on longer lines so it takes longer to get from A to B, but how does it impact steering? Im super sensitive to that. Dont get me wrong ILl try it out but like asking other people in advance in the event to know how much time/what type of session to dedicate to the experiment.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby madmax7 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:54 pm

i have the v2 if you get a chance do some comparisons with the fellow that has the v2.

They came out with V3 like 15 months after the v2 curious what the diff is?

Thanks, Max

PS, according to my local Blade distributor the V3 goes a bit better upwind...

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:32 am

This is what Epic had to say about the Fat Lady:
UKSurf wrote:
Dimitri M wrote:The difference from the INFINITY V2 vs the FAT LADY is that the INFINITY v2 turns faster and has better pop. But the power is piratically the same after testing them.
Now the INFINITY V3 is something different.
:thumb:
Why did Momi design an inferior kite for Blade? :roll: I honestly think this claiming your kites are superior to everyone else's will only backfire. If it is better at one thing then it will be worse at something else, most people appreciate that kite design these days is about finely balanced trade-offs NOT one kite being better than another.

Peachez54
Rare Poster

Postby Peachez54 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:43 pm

@dracop

Yes, agreed, of course extending the circumference of your WW (by adding line ext's) makes your kite ~feel slower, etc, because it has a relatively much larger circumference to fly about in but the FL kites are very quick turning and have a quite a fast flight speed for a 17m so I find it still feels superb on the 4m extensions (that are supposed to be included with FLV3 when bought new).

Of course the FL flies great with or without the ext's but offers a great ride on the ext's too. I was surprised when I first used the ext's on my V2 and then understood why Blade includes those 4m ext's. A real value added to this already amazing kite design :-)

- It make proper sense, in terms of scale, that a 17m kite should be flown in a larger size WW than a 7m kite.

For fun LW free-style (kite-loops ,etc) the short lines are optimal, but for all-round free-ride I recommend trying the 4m ext's. I found that the upwind performance of bouth the FL V2 and V3 is much increased when using the line ext's.

*Another thing about the FLV3 kite that I really like, is how well it handles in a lot more wind too. For a 17m it sure has a fun, stable/confident hi-end! I love boosting big and long with it in med/high winds :-)

Cheers

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Below is a short video I put together of the Fat Lady V3 this fall in Cape Hatteras.

A little back story.

First, I'm a dealer and have ridden many light wind kites and this is probably my favorite unless I'm racing on snow. Then I usually pick a Turbine.

Second, the video is really a review type video that doesn't go into details about the kite, but shows what the Fat Lady can do in different conditions. It's non-technical and just shows how the kite flies and behaves and the fun riders can have. It's a little tongue and cheek style video, but some very legit riding and info on it with respect to the Fat lady.

I had been riding foil boards all summer in light winds and also some in Cape Hatteras. I kind of forgot how much fun light wind kites can be until the day I went back on a twin tip and the Fat lady.

Without a doubt, the Fat Lady is:
*Fast turning. Fast turning on a shorter than normal bar.
*Great low end and top end power.
*Drifts really really well for a big kite.
*Light bar pressure.
*Lofty, big and floaty jumps when powered or overpowered
*Looks awesome with the sun setting in the background. Pops in photos really well.
*Relaunch is easy for such a big kite, but same goes for the Turbines and Contras.
Changes?
*New high inflation valves would be nice.
*A 15m or 14m Fat Lady would also be nice. I love the Triggers in most sizes, but not the 14m Trigger as much compared to the Fat Lady. The 14m Trigger should relaunch better in my opinion.

Here is the video....Enjoy.

If interested, we have some of these in limited stock at the moment. Contact me for the best pricing around.

Bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”