Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North Surfboard Repair - Pls help

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey. Sorry, just saw this.

My .02... I'm not a professional board repairer but I've repaired my share of boards in the past. I'm sure there are people near you and on this board who may have better advice, but from my experience...

It's really hard to tell from that picture if there's some real damage underneath either resulting from or causing the blemish, but from what I can tell from the picture it looks like it could be just a cosmetic scratch. The paint blistering could be caused by a million things, including the scratch in the paint. If it is just the paint, I wouldn't do anything to it.

If you fear that there's water getting into the board (you can usually tell by sucking on the area... If you're able to suck water out of it then the issue is bigger, though if it's been sitting out for a while this may not work) you should sand it down to see see what's going on underneath. Make sure you sand like an inch around anywhere that the paint has come off if you do this. It appears that the crack may extend to the pad. If that is the case you're gonna have to peel back at least a little of the pad so you can sand around all areas of cracking. This will also allow you to see if the crack extends further into the board than you could see with the pad on.

If there is damage to the board under the paint you'll have to repair it. If it's really minor, a ding from banging into something (and not a more significant stress crack from a large or repeated impact or something of that sort), just sanding down and solarezing should be fine.

If, however, the damage is the early stage of the board buckling, you'll want to sand an extensive area (like 5" wide wrapping from the bottom to around 6" in on the top), wrap it in glass (two layers of 4oz cloth works for me, each layer should be several inches wide, think I usually do a 2-3" wide layer followed by a 3-4" wide on top, extending from the bottom, around the rail, and like 5" at least towards the center of the board on the top. Our surfboards are EPS, so make sure the glass and resin is compatible. A little resin against the board, apply the smaller cloth, impregnate it with resin, apply the 2nd layer of cloth, resin again, smooth it down, sand when dry. Paint if you want, glue the pad back down and you're good to go. If you really fear that it's started cracking from repeated impact across a significant portion of the board you can do the same to the other side as a preventative measure.

If you are in doubt about how bad the situation is or you're not sure what to do, take the board to any board repair shop, tell them it's EPS core, and let them fix it for you. No matter how many repairs I've done my shit never looked nearly as good as a professional repair, and they're usually pretty reasonably priced.

Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up (wherever you got the gear from).

-Dan

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby magnusod » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:12 am

Are you riding with foot straps or strapless? The reason I ask is that if you ride with straps you have your heel in the same position and keeps pounding the same spot. If you ride strapless you have to be lighter on your feet.

I ride with straps and this has happened both on my Wam and my Nugget. It starts with a crack outside the pad but the laminate is soft under the pad and there might also be a crack under the pad. If you don't know that you hit something on that spot it's most likely it will come from stress on laminate. If you suspect what I'm saying it's better to remove the pad completely. If you do, press hard with both your thumbs to check if the deck is soft in any area.

For your info I had a crack similar to this on my Wam and fixed it with temporary with Solarez as I only discovered it before going on a kite trip. It didn't last more than three days until the deck was completely cracked under the pad.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:52 pm

magnusod, if indeed there are soft spots at the topside of the deck, how would you repair them, please?

heinzbush
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby heinzbush » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 pm

I ride with straps... What u are saying sounds very bad!

Anything that can be done if this is the case?

Also, if I remove the pad, which glue can I use to put it back in? And what's the best way to remove it?

Robbylion
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Luigi North Rebel

Postby Robbylion » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Contact cement works best to glue pads to board :wink:

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 am

omg wrote:magnusod, if indeed there are soft spots at the topside of the deck, how would you repair them, please?
I would leave the board to a professional as Dan suggested. It's a lot of work to get it done properly. Here's a description of the process http://www.boardlady.com/softdeck.htm

magnusod
Frequent Poster

Postby magnusod » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:46 am

heinzbush wrote:I ride with straps... What u are saying sounds very bad!

Anything that can be done if this is the case?

Also, if I remove the pad, which glue can I use to put it back in? And what's the best way to remove it?
See post above about the process. If the board is around one year old the pads should be fairly easy to remove. I just grab them with my fingers and start pulling from which side they are easier to remove. If I see it's still sticks to the board I use a surgical knife to cut it from the board.

I use Pattex contact glue when I put them back on.

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Ok, removed the pad - not completely, but at least 10cm, especially to see the spot where the heel is placed...

I could not find any soft spots... I guess that's good news then... Still wondering how this blister could happen in this case...

Return to “Kitesurfing”