GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OR Mako?

Postby GregWoj » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi Guys - Sorry if this has been answered in previous threads - but Im looking for a mutant style board that works in medium chop (wont spray too much), rolling ocean swells, 4-6' reef/sand bar surf breaks, and 3-6' beach breaks. But also can be fun for twin tipping boosts off waves/flat water, etc. One area of desire is easy toe side riding. My style is free ride and 50/50 playing in the waves/outside the break. When I jump, I don't do any unhooked tricks or freestyle - just medium boosts with back rolls, etc. When in the waves, I just bomb around. Ride a wave, boost off them, cave on them, etc. But nothing down the line, etc. I have a 5'6" retrofish style surf board for when optimal wave conditions pop up, but 85% of my local conditions are aforementioned. 5'10" Weight 70 to 75kg. Im considering the OR Mako but torn on the 140 cm or 150 cm. Also open to any other suggestions for style / desires ive provided. Bottom line looking for a "do it all board" and happy to sacrifice a bit of one style to accommodate for the variety of styles.

Thanks in advance and happy kiting this holiday week!

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Re: OR Mako?

Postby herbert » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 pm

I think the Mako is an excellent choice for what you describe.
The size is the same issue as always and there is no right or wrong. And whichever you choose, there will be sessions during which you wish you had chosen the other one. So, I think it is a personal choice. Do you favor riding a bit more powered up and a little easier to edge and release or do you favor at little more glide and the feel of the board moving down the wave at little more on its own with a little less kite power? The difference is a matter of degree of course, not much else. If you worry you won't have enough "surfy" feel, get the bigger one. If the opposite, get the smaller one.
(I am relating to personally comparing the King and the 150, but I weigh more, so think it is a valid comparison). I have a friend who has them all. He has just as much trouble deciding which to choose right before a session. Jumping is his thing, not waves, so he tends to the smaller choice at any moment. And I choose the opposite, for the opposite reason. Again, both fun, it's a matter of degree.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:19 pm

The 140 is more TT in the waves style. The king in my opinion was too big. ... too slappy. That leaves the 150 which I haven't tried. But by all my research points to this being the favoured size for Mutant riding in the waves.

PS From what you explain the mako seems ideal for what you want.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:54 pm

i ride the 150 same weight as you, you may never ride another board except for light wind. in short the mako makes it seem like there is something wrong with a square tip twin tip....especially in chop and waves.......you ride it it even weight,so no back leg pressure.......it carves and turns super smooth and sucks up chop like a twin tip cant.....all the reviews glowing about the board are true.....it does everything better than a square twin tip...except pop......but its not like you cant.....highly recommend !!!

it feels as small as my 135 by 42 monk (which i havent ridden since i have gotton the mako)

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:33 pm

Awesome bros - thanks for the advice. Looks like a 150 cm Mako is in my future. Im not worried about the pop thing. Its not like im hucking 10 to 15 meter boosts... I wish I was that good and had the balls. Blew out an ear drum last summer from trying to be 23 years old and Im approaching 40 now. So 5m boosts tops these days and I mostly use the wave crest as a launch pad so the edge setting is not a factor, but I see what you are saying.

Plummett - I had the same feeling about the Mako King being too big and didn't even consider it. My 5'6" retro/fish surf board is about the same size and fits the bill the 10% of days when conditions call for it.

Im Stoked.

Have a nice holiday and stay safe out there

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 am

Yeah. Square tipped tt's have an advantage of load and pop. Plus more surface area bellow the waterline. That means they can be smaller for the same upwind ability. Easier for rotating tricks.

Inversly to get the same upwind performance as your standard 135x43 board in an ellipse shaped tt or mutant you need approx 150x44 in size. Which explains why people say there 150 mako feels similar in size to the 135 TT. Its a similar area of water you are displacing.

But the wave tt or mutant will kick arse in chop, swell, waves and carving. It will also hold down some mean power as well.

Where the mutant exceeds the wave TT performance is on the wave face. The further back you can get your rear foot the tighter carves you will be able to do on the face and you will be able slam a harder bottom turn without skipping out. Also there's less chance of nose dive on steep faces. But the more offset your foot position the worse the backwards performance will be. Its a trade off. Play around until you find the ideal fin set up and foot placement for your style.

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:53 pm

2014 range of Mako's only the 150 & King come with the mutant option - 140's don't.

Also, with the 2014 Kings no more deck pads

Fins have a slight shape change and are not as thick as well ... new pads & straps look good too (I'm yet to try 'em tho)

Pretty sure not much will change with the 2015 range when they come out next year ...

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:12 pm

The King all the way...

I love mine so much, I even prefer it to my Shinn Monk in flat water and hardly ride it anymore... In waves, it's either the king or a real directional, depending on mood: if I want to go big, carve AND ride waves, I take the King. If the waves are clean and I want pure surf, I take a directional...

Didn't like the smaller Makos as much as the King...

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm 65/70 kg and had 140 and 150 Mako, go 150 for your weight is so much better in waves and chop and not so different in jumping

great boards, in my opinion is a pity that from 2012 had no great evolution but the shape works and contruction is bomb proof so not so bad

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:51 am

If I had those conditions, i would be on strapless surf.
But if you have to go to a tt, then a 150 mako is good. I've been riding a 150x 34 mako classic many years. Nothing beats it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”