Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wake boots and leg brace. Says it all really.

forum for kitesurfers

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Wake boots and leg brace. Says it all really.

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 am

Discuss!

kas911
Frequent Poster

Re: Wake boots and leg brace. Says it all really.

Postby kas911 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 am

Look at all the gear a motocross rider is wearing. He is doing that so he can push the limits beyond belief. Sure he could ride naked at 5 mph but that would be kind og boring to watch. And by wearing gear the risk of injury is reduced

Love that there are people who are willing to push the limits - and I mean the real limits, the risky stuff!

And if you are to old and broken like me, well then look for a wave or do some air ballet

paulie
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby paulie » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:39 am

What is there to discuss? You lock your feet in, you increase the risk of injury... but you weigh up the performance benefits with the increased risk and make your choice...

Simple as that...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Luckily the sport offers many choices.

Everyone can choose, and that is awesome.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Up to a certain point simply riding boots is protective when compared to riding straps. I blew my knee back in 93. Never put on a pair of skis again, but have comfortably snowboarded ever since. The risk of a second major rotational accident is much less when both feet are secured to the same board. I often wear a brace while snow kiting, but rarely wear one on the water. The exception being when I'm fatigued from consecutive sessions/days of hard activity or have been drinking alcohol. megaloops and extreme weather freestyle can surely put you at higher risk in boots, but for the vast majority of riders and certainly almost all of my personal riding I feel the risk of rotational injury is greatly reduced in boots.

On snow I ride a lot more in the line of objects/features than on water and have had multiple incidents at relatively low speeds where my brace has saved my knee. These are moments of severe stress on the board that I don't really encounter the same way on water. The one type of incident I am wary of on water is a severe traction moment in boots that I learned to avoid early on.

My brace is a custom cti and both it and the one prior that I used for some 14 years work well both on snow and water.

My initial knee injury had nothing to do with kiteboarding and I have always been grateful for good braces, and the fact that they so effectively reduce my limitations.

jens
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 pm

football players and leg brace. says it all really
baseball players in leg brace . says it all really
basketball players in leg brace. says it all really
figure skater in leg brace. says it all really
my brother who doesn't play sports at all in a leg brace. says it all really
skier in leg brace. says it all really
ect
ect
ect

quicky
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Mui Ne
Style: quicky
Gear: North Rebels, owned Cabrinhas BT, Co2, Nitros and Contra 2001-2005, Flexi Ions 2006-2007 and Rebels and vegas 2008-2011

Postby quicky » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:47 pm

i've sprained my ankle a couple of times in straps, but kept the knees intact.
i rarely jump on the snowboard now as it hurts my ankle when i lend off balance on the back foot, but i'd give up an ankle for a knee joint anytime, hence no boots for everything other than wakeboarding

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:50 am

if they're wearing boots, they're most likely throwing down and taking falls. there were plenty of riders hurting themselves back when straps were popular too.

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:39 am

kas911 wrote:Look at all the gear a motocross rider is wearing. He is doing that so he can push the limits beyond belief. Sure he could ride naked at 5 mph but that would be kind og boring to watch. And by wearing gear the risk of injury is reduced

Love that there are people who are willing to push the limits - and I mean the real limits, the risky stuff!

And if you are to old and broken like me, well then look for a wave or do some air ballet
As an avid MX racer since I was 7, who still rides and wears braces while riding. I don't see any need for me to use my braces on the water. I ride boots, and are able to kite almost every day. For me, the preventative use of braces for kiting are not necessary. For MX, its a whole different ballpark.

I had my first Set of custom CTI2's when I was 14, custom painted and all. They were awesome!
The development of off the shelf braces have come a long way since then, So if you need braces, go out and try to get some good ones before shelling out the $$$ for custom CTI. (If covered by insurance. get the most expensive you can find :P )
Now I ride the PodMX700. Awesome braces too if you are lucky to fit the off-the-shelf models.

If you have a knee injury and are afraid to re-injure your knee. Then go ahead.. get braces..
If you have healthy knees. IMO.. You do not need any braces for kiting, no matter how hard you think you ride. Its only water anyway!

PS: Leatt's new knee-braces look interesting too..

Jake-Skymonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: 2016 Cabrinha FX 7/10/14
2016 Shinn Ultrasonic
Brand Affiliation: Co-owner at www.skymonster.com

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:00 pm

paulie wrote:What is there to discuss? You lock your feet in, you increase the risk of injury... but you weigh up the performance benefits with the increased risk and make your choice...

Simple as that...
No you don't. Every style of riding brings its own risks and mitigates others. Ending up with one feet in one out in straps is where it gets really hairy. Getting hit by your own board. Twisting your ankle. Kicking your board mid air. The list goes on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”