TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby TomW » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:27 pm

It's a shame I never see an OR kite here in S Sweden, or find any way to buy them.
My first kite quiver back in 2002-3 had a 8 m Bronco, and I still use my Mako classic When I'm not using strapless surfboard. I still have the Bronc, but don't use it. Thing is bomb proof.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:07 am

Hi Tom!

If you're looking to come back to the fold, we work with both KiteSweden and Surf Spirit.

I should mention too that we have a great online store that supports our dealers. If you buy online from store.oceanrodeo.com the sale is fulfilled by one of our dealers.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions!

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:38 pm

Man it's been a while since I've posted on here. It's expensive to kiteboard when you don't run a kite shop anymore. ;)

So since leaving XLKites I had to get a new kite quiver since I had sold my personal kites years ago. Thankfully I still have my boards. So looking around and talking with guys in the industry I was talked into the new Flite 10m site unseen.

I've had 3 sessions with it, ranging from 14mph to 25. I weight 145lbs and have been using larger boards since that is all I have atm.

I must say I am very pleased with this kite, so the guys from Ocean Rodeo continue to impress me. This kite has an amazing range to it. Yesterday the wind lulled out to around 14mph and I was still practicing front rolls and hand rake backrolls. At 25 I was boosting just as big as anyone else apart from the 220lb guy on a 13m Velocity (still love the velocitys for just pure boosting!). I have yet to have to depower the kite, so I am very curious to see this kite boost in the top end. Jumps are floaty and fun, I've had fun doing a full extensions deadman and coming back and seeing I still have time to spot the landing and ride off.

This kite is super fast, a few times I took my eye off of it and I would get a jerk and notice the kite is heading straight for the water, and a quick steer and its heading back up. Really messed up my timing as I'm used to flying bigger kites around here.

I would recommend this kite to guys who like the big boost but on the average days wants to do more all around tricks. I love the velocity kite as just a pure jumping kite. Nothing has gotten me that high yet. But when trying to use the velocity for other tricks it didn't work as well. Tried a darkslide and the slow kite loop still picked me up 10ft and it turned into a painful failed megaloop.

Didn't try to unhook but had a friend try it out and unhooked a few times and didn't have an issue. Just a great all around kite with a much better than average boost. Got my new fav picture on this kite. Now I just need Ocean Rodeo to make a mako board that's squared out with 4 fins... Talking to you Todd and John. ;)
Attachments
image.jpg

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:09 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:Now I just need Ocean Rodeo to make a Mako board that's squared out with 4 fins... Talking to you Todd and John. ;)
Great picture Curt!

As for a 4 fin Mako... we will see what comes down the pipes!

mabrill
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Rotary Beach
Sudbury Beach
Style: Surfboard
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Dealer

Postby mabrill » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Just a few comments on the OR flite kites in general before I zoom in on that new 10m.
As a small market ocean rodeo dealer over the last decade, it has been tricky at times to get people to even demo kites with our Intermittent wind and peoples time constraints, kiters generally just want to come to the beach take out their kite and kite while they can. The flite kites have become the best option to alter that behaviour. Everybody wants to try the 14.5 and 17 flites and many locals loyal to other brands added ocean rodeo flites to their quiver.

The new edition 10 metre flite has the same effect, if not more so. I have had a half-dozen sessions on it on both 21 and 25m lines in ~10 to 20 kn... And for my purposes and predilections this is the best kite OR has ever made. Medium light bar pressure, turns fast/smooth, excellent jumping height and long float, super stable, upwind cruiser, super light and it just looks and behaves phenomenally well in the air. And as with the larger flites, when people saw it cruise upwind and jump for the moon they actually put down a kite and wanted to try it… Our local kite surfboard craftsman (augustinekitesurf.com) came off the water exclaiming “this is the best kite I’ve ever flown!" I don’t think he is alone in that assessment. Gotta try it.
Cheers,
Marc
Windstar Recreation
P.S. if you’re looking for the perfect 3 kite quiver consider a 7 meter prodigy, 10 m Flite, and 14.5 m Flite…. And finally, if you find yourself in supernatural British Columbia wandering around in the Okanagan Valley (Kelowna area) looking hopefully for wind and a session, drop me a line mabrillinger@shaw.ca

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 pm

....hey ocean adventures didn't know The Edge from U2 kited lol...for the record that's a stiffy, take ya hands off the bar for a deadman...although you'd need a stopper :bye:

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Westozzy wrote:....hey ocean adventures didn't know The Edge from U2 kited lol...for the record that's a stiffy, take ya hands off the bar for a deadman...although you'd need a stopper :bye:
Yeah but with a bow kite letting go would make me a dead man, haha. Thank bro.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 pm

While we are at it, may as well point out we do have a new video outlining the 3rd generation Flites, including of course the 10m and 12m.

Enjoy!

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 pm

My quiver the past few years has been
  • 8 Razor
    10 Razor (Razor's have been my quiver for 3 years now)
    2010 12m Rise (my current 'light wind' kite)
This year I'm going with
  • 8m Razor
    10m Razor
    12m Flite
    The Duke!

I'm planning on using the Flite for two reasons.
1. Light wind days. For me, I don't need to get out in 10-12mph winds, light wind to me is 13-16mph. The 12 should be great for that. Or for cruising in the low end of that on the Duke.

2. Floaty Jump days. This is what is exciting me the most about the Flite. From what I'm reading I should be able to hold a 12m Flite down on days where the wind is in the 15-20 (or more) mph range, and I'm really looking forward to huge, floaty jumps, ala the Rise.

I'll post impressions here after I get a few sessions on the 12, based on the early reviews and speaking with O.R. directly I'm getting pretty stoked about the 'kite that almost wasn't made'

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Nice one Ghost Dog... stoked to see your new line up and to hear your thoughts, many customers are going with a similar mix this year!

Return to “Kitesurfing”