Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby topmick » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks Terrie, I'll put the 12m Flite on my demo list.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom

Postby LiquidXtasy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Damn that's a tight kite!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:49 pm

topmick wrote:Has anyone out there used the 12m Flight as a dedicated lwave kite in light wind, around 10 knots?
Top - PM me if you want a hand arranging a demo with one of our local dealers. The Flites do very well as dedicated light wind kites and I know many riders who use the 12m with a foil or surf board as their go-to light wind set-up.
LiquidXtasy wrote:Damn that's a tight kite!
Thanks Liquid! We are pretty proud!

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor & LT138
Ocean Rodeo Roam & Jester
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo dealer Australia

Postby EastCC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:29 am

I have the 12m Flite demo here waiting for you topmick, the problem may be the weather.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:57 am

Thanks EastCC, I missed you last time I was back home - will be in touch mate.

Olas!
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: 12m Flite

Postby Olas! » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Picked up a new flite 12 last week to use for light wind hydrofoiling (I'm 170lbs predominately riding on inland lakes). I should be receiving the foil at the end of the month and will post again on its performance. Hopefully this kite will allow me significant low end on the foil without becoming quickly overpowered or thrown off during gusts. Expect I made a reasonable choice without entering into the discipline of foil kites (yet).

Took it out for a ride with my skimboard in very light winds, which built up in strength through the 3hr session. I immediately noticed how well the kite stayed up and continued to react to steering in the marginal conditions. I have consistently resorted to techniques such as yanking the centrelines to keep a kite in the air during lulls, however this was unnecessary with the flite in conditions I would have been fighting to keep my previous kites aloft in.

Perhaps I have been overly influenced by various brands' marketing, but I was a little skeptical of how responsive the flite would be due to the pulleys on the bridle. My fears were quickly dispelled, the kite was quick to turn even when underpowered and I could easily feel it's position in the sky while riding and during jibes.

Aspect ratio seems to be a perfect compromise for my riding style. In light wind there was ample pull to get up and ride or get over waves, while it still built up apparent wind very well.

Had it out once in small waves (also light wind) and appreciated the quick relaunch more than once! Can't comment on top end or boosting yet as I have had a few sessions on the skimboard. Very excited to get out on the foil once it arrives - hoping for significantly increased time on the water! Thanks to the ocean rodeo guys for the awesome customer service!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Olas! wrote:Picked up a new flite 12 last week to use for light wind hydrofoiling (I'm 170lbs predominately riding on inland lakes). I should be receiving the foil at the end of the month and will post again on its performance. Hopefully this kite will allow me significant low end on the foil without becoming quickly overpowered or thrown off during gusts. Expect I made a reasonable choice without entering into the discipline of foil kites (yet).

Took it out for a ride with my skimboard in very light winds, which built up in strength through the 3hr session. I immediately noticed how well the kite stayed up and continued to react to steering in the marginal conditions. I have consistently resorted to techniques such as yanking the centrelines to keep a kite in the air during lulls, however this was unnecessary with the flite in conditions I would have been fighting to keep my previous kites aloft in.

Perhaps I have been overly influenced by various brands' marketing, but I was a little skeptical of how responsive the flite would be due to the pulleys on the bridle. My fears were quickly dispelled, the kite was quick to turn even when underpowered and I could easily feel it's position in the sky while riding and during jibes.

Aspect ratio seems to be a perfect compromise for my riding style. In light wind there was ample pull to get up and ride or get over waves, while it still built up apparent wind very well.

Had it out once in small waves (also light wind) and appreciated the quick relaunch more than once! Can't comment on top end or boosting yet as I have had a few sessions on the skimboard. Very excited to get out on the foil once it arrives - hoping for significantly increased time on the water! Thanks to the ocean rodeo guys for the awesome customer service!
:oops: You're making us blush!

Stoked you love the kite! It makes it all worth while when you see a review like this and know that our design goals were met and customer's are happy...

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium, 12m Flite. Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, King Gee,
Mako Duke

Postby matth » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:43 am

I picked up a 12m flite and had a nice solid test ride tonight for about 2 hours. Wind was gusty from 15mph to 25mph, average around 19/20. I weigh185lbs. It took me a few minutes to get used to the kite due to the gusty condition. I kept thinking the kite was going to get ripped from my hands but was pleasantly surprised how manageable the kite was. Coming from a 12m Swithblade which is like a cement block in the sky the Flite feels like a 9m, fast and lively, sheets out and depowers nicely, jumps feel similar to SB. One thing I really liked is how fast the kite would shoot forward in the gust if you let the bar out , once I dialed this in I was eating up the gust. The last twenty minutes the wind settled down to a steady 16/17mph which gave me a chance to relax a little and really move the kite around.
Great kite, loved it. light to med bar pressure, super fast nimble steering, much more manageable in gusty conditions than I expected, easy jumping, good bar feel..

I have owned 4, 12m kites. Vector(nice kite,you never forget your first), Rebel(nice kite but slow), SB(nice kite ,also slow, high bar pressure) and now a 12m Flite(Hands down favorite)
Last edited by matth on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Apelviken, Läjet, Björkäng, Trönningenäs
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Rise

Postby henke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:28 am

Finally I got my Flite 10m and I love this kite. It's very smooth and easy handling with light bar pressure and it turns very quickly. Easy to jump with and give smooth landings.

It have very good light wind performance and I think the 12m would be perfect for me as the light wind kite. First I thougth to buy the 14,5 as my light wind kite but I have changed my mind about that. I weight about 72kg.

Maybe the only thing is that it is hard to get very high jumps. I have jumped 8,2m in a condition where it was on the limit that I could use full power.
With prodigy 7m and razor 8m I have jumped over 9m but in higher wind.

/henrik

dcole5
Medium Poster

Postby dcole5 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:02 pm

The Flite sounds great from this post, but no one mentions Wave riding?
I love my Prodigy 9.5 in the waves. Would the Flite be better or?

Return to “Kitesurfing”