Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby matth » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:23 am

randycasburn wrote:
Laughingman wrote:No one has experience going to safety with a Flite and the new single line reride system?
yes - I've ridden the new bar and gone to safety. The safety release works flawlessly. Overall, the bar/lines is much nicer than the older ones. Below the bar swivel was nice to have and the new lines are fantasic for untangling. The only thing I don't like too much is the loop/pin reset. It is a little clumsy but really easy to use. Hope that's laughable :-)
I have the new bar also and think they did a great job, as good as any bar on the market IMO.
The reset on the Quick Release is not as slick as Cabs but very easy once you have done it a few times. I find the trick is to hold the QR sideways so the catch falls to the open position then it snaps in place perfectly.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:49 pm

randycasburn wrote:
Laughingman wrote:No one has experience going to safety with a Flite and the new single line reride system?
yes - I've ridden the new bar and gone to safety. The safety release works flawlessly. Overall, the bar/lines is much nicer than the older ones. Below the bar swivel was nice to have and the new lines are fantasic for untangling. The only thing I don't like too much is the loop/pin reset. It is a little clumsy but really easy to use. Hope that's laughable :-)
That's great but how does the kite behave?

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:10 am

Laughingman wrote:That's great but how does the kite behave?
Riding the 12 in 12-14mph winds. The 12 is fast and responsive with enough bar pressure to feel the kite. I felt like I always knew where the kite was. On the beach in "tuning mode" (zenith fully sheeted), let the bar go completely - it fluttered a bit and stood right there. So stable is a good word. Many kites will stall and dive. It flies smoothly through all maneuvers. Carries steady power through loops without loading up and without losing everything. I tried to ride directly at the kite but wind direction prevented that - I was on a very broad reach and it drifted ok, but did seem to desire a little input when drifting.

This was an Ocean Rodeo demo day so I also rode the prodigy 12 and the effervescent, full-of-energy, mega-fun razor 12. This was one of those light wind sessions that I came in with a smile every time.

boards: I alternating between an Ocean rodeo Origin Lite and my 146x45.

I have also ridden the Flite 12 in about 25-26 mph and got spanked by the thing. It was my first time on the kite and did not expect it to be as fast as it was. Paid the price.

I'm going to replace my 14m soon - thinking the 14.5 Flite might be a good option. Although I really do like the Bandit x9 a lot. We'll see.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks Randy

But I mean when you went to safety. My kites roll over and sit on the water like they sit on the beach with virtually no pull when I go to safety. How do the Flites and Prodigies react when you go to safety with a single center line safety system?

How do they tether launch, do they sit fairly stable on the ground or water at the edge of the window?

Not your usual questions I know, but I have to choose my kites so they are compatible with my
120lb wife. She needs to be able to self launch and land, and self rescue with out having to fight with the kite.
randycasburn wrote:
Laughingman wrote:That's great but how does the kite behave?
Riding the 12 in 12-14mph winds. The 12 is fast and responsive with enough bar pressure to feel the kite. I felt like I always knew where the kite was. On the beach in "tuning mode" (zenith fully sheeted), let the bar go completely - it fluttered a bit and stood right there. So stable is a good word. Many kites will stall and dive. It flies smoothly through all maneuvers. Carries steady power through loops without loading up and without losing everything. I tried to ride directly at the kite but wind direction prevented that - I was on a very broad reach and it drifted ok, but did seem to desire a little input when drifting.

This was an Ocean Rodeo demo day so I also rode the prodigy 12 and the effervescent, full-of-energy, mega-fun razor 12. This was one of those light wind sessions that I came in with a smile every time.

boards: I alternating between an Ocean rodeo Origin Lite and my 146x45.

I have also ridden the Flite 12 in about 25-26 mph and got spanked by the thing. It was my first time on the kite and did not expect it to be as fast as it was. Paid the price.

I'm going to replace my 14m soon - thinking the 14.5 Flite might be a good option. Although I really do like the Bandit x9 a lot. We'll see.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 pm

I have not single line flagged my Flites yet, but have tether launch many times. They are very stable on their edge.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Laughingman wrote:But I mean when you went to safety. My kites roll over and sit on the water like they sit on the beach with virtually no pull when I go to safety.
Sorry for delay - was traveling (work yuck). Anyway, they do roll over and sit like on the beach. As far as safety - standing in waist deep water on sandy bottom wind blowing 12mph - yeah no pull. In deep (over head) water with wind blowing 27 gusting over 30 - kite lays on water as on beach - but, yeah some big pull. So don't count on my experience to determine the safety of your wife...as all good consultants say "it depends". :-)

Get with Todd, Ned, John or someone at OR, get a demo and do a controlled experiment with your wife. Even if you had to pay to ship it out and back, that may at least ease some trepidation.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:16 pm

randycasburn wrote:
Laughingman wrote:But I mean when you went to safety. My kites roll over and sit on the water like they sit on the beach with virtually no pull when I go to safety.
Sorry for delay - was traveling (work yuck). Anyway, they do roll over and sit like on the beach. As far as safety - standing in waist deep water on sandy bottom wind blowing 12mph - yeah no pull. In deep (over head) water with wind blowing 27 gusting over 30 - kite lays on water as on beach - but, yeah some big pull. So don't count on my experience to determine the safety of your wife...as all good consultants say "it depends". :-)

Get with Todd, Ned, John or someone at OR, get a demo and do a controlled experiment with your wife. Even if you had to pay to ship it out and back, that may at least ease some trepidation.
Thanks Randy
She has a 5m for those days... it will probably last another 10 years the amount it gets used...
So far getting these kites to try for an extended period is more work then expected. Will have to make arrangements to get some sent to us before our next trip south if they will do that for us?
Dimitri has spoiled us that is for sure.
Pete

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Laughingman, I need to apologize as I did not see this post at first.

I have spoken with the head of our design and with our sales team to confirm this but we as a company have no knowledge of any kite safety system out there that rolls the kite over forward and leaves the kite depowered on the water leading edge down and into the wind.

The only possible exception would be a single front line flagging system like our Control Bar which could leave the kite in any number of possible end configurations, including this position but which more often than not lead to the kite flagged out and flapping upside down off the one front line and front corner of the kite.

John

Here's the Control Bar video too btw. This is the only bar we have that offers front line re-ride. Our other bars offer roll over bridle style depower... perhaps this is what you meant by rolling over?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:21 pm

ORSales wrote:Laughingman, I need to apologize as I did not see this post at first.

I have spoken with the head of our design and with our sales team to confirm this but we as a company have no knowledge of any kite safety system out there that rolls the kite over forward and leaves the kite depowered on the water leading edge down and into the wind.

The only possible exception would be a single front line flagging system like our Control Bar which could leave the kite in any number of possible end configurations, including this position but which more often than not lead to the kite flagged out and flapping upside down off the one front line and front corner of the kite.

John

Here's the Control Bar video too btw. This is the only bar we have that offers front line re-ride. Our other bars offer roll over bridle style depower... perhaps this is what you meant by rolling over?

Thanks John

Our current kites which use front line re-ride, roll over quite well, in fact the R4Gs never failed to roll over properly so I guess there is one system out there at least.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:12 am

@John - and I guess I just got lucky. :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”