Windy spots in Cali?

forum for kitesurfers

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Windy spots in Cali?

Postby dyyylan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 am

I'm trying to plan out my summer, last summer I went to the Gorge, this summer I'm thinking about somewhere in cali. I found a lot of info on various spots, but couldn't get an idea of how consistently windy they actually are.

The best location really looks like the bay area, but I don't want to pay the crazy amounts they want for a place there, and it's also a bit cold, even during the height of summer. Is there really anywhere around the LA area, or even a bit north, that you can reliably kite 3-4 days a week?

I'll most likely stay 6 months, so March-August or May-October, or something like that.

nherbold
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Tortola, BVI
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Scheveningen, Holland
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Hape Hatteras, North Carolina
Brandywine Bay, BVI
Anegada, BVI
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Wainman

Re: Windy spots in Cali?

Postby nherbold » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Sherman Island has some of the best and most reliable winds in NoCal.

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dwaynej » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Belmont Shores, Long Beach,CA is an awesome spot.

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core

Postby AirBunny » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm

How about the lakes in So Cal and Nevada? Billie?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:41 am

nherbold wrote:Sherman Island has some of the best and most reliable winds in NoCal.
Dis and definitely not cold. I kited in just shorts and a t-shirt on not even one of the hottest days. Couldn't get away with that in the main part of the bay.

powerpersonified
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: wake

Postby powerpersonified » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:32 pm

Southern california isnt exactly a kiting destination. Belmont shore is definitely not where you want to go. The wind is on the lighter side and its just your standard lake style chop. Dont get me wrong. We get our days out here but in the couple years Ive lived here im not impressed. North of here up by ventura has some great wave kiting that would be worth posting up around there but there are better options imo.

There is only one lake worth staying at for any period of time and thats mohave. You would be camping and its not really that comfortable with out a camper or rv. Early spring can be beautiful and the wind is great but definitely not a destination type place. By the end of may it is rediculously hot and the crowd you share the beach with sucks.

As said before the delta is your spot for consistant strong wind and flat water. You are also striking distance to the coast for swell and there are a couple of cable parks not far from there.

I think the sickest summer kiting trip out here would be a cheap rv and just roll around. Maybe spring at mohave. Hit up socal for summer early south combo swells/wind, then up to central cal for flat water, then the gorge and maybe the coast on the way up.

That would be sick. Be motorhomeless

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:00 pm

powerpersonified wrote:Things
Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. I'm definitely looking for waves (i.e., the ocean), otherwise I'd just kite the gorge since it's windy basically every day. Just looking for a little different conditions than flat water or chop.

Thanks for the input on the Belmont area, that's what I figured but couldn't find any real info on it. It's hard to tell sometimes because people say an area is great but they only kite a few times a month.

PeteV
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby PeteV » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 am

Summer winds in Socal are very reliable. The best spot would be Leo Carillo/County Line. Blows almost every day for the time period you mentioned, most days would be single digit kites, with some 10-12m days thrown in.

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:23 am

dyyylan wrote:Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. I'm definitely looking for waves (i.e., the ocean), otherwise I'd just kite the gorge since it's windy basically every day. Just looking for a little different conditions than flat water or chop.
Jalama and the various beaches from Santa Barbara through to Malibu will provide you waves.
dyyylan wrote:Thanks for the input on the Belmont area, that's what I figured but couldn't find any real info on it. It's hard to tell sometimes because people say an area is great but they only kite a few times a month.
Belmont Shores is reliable with really decent wind Spring/Summer/Fall. Its flat water so not what you are looking for, but a number of us will kite out to open ocean past Chaffee Island with big swells.

Check out the various beaches on ikitesurf...

Return to “Kitesurfing”