Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Re: Good hotels in Cayo Guillermo

Postby shawn13 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 pm

keegster17 wrote:This tax mentioned in Guillermo, is this based on a 1 week fee or daily?
Its 18 CUC per trip, and its for all of Cuba. They just haven't enforced it in other areas yet, but they will.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm

keegster17 wrote:alexeyga it what respect is the Club Amigo Mayanabo better than the few places in Guillermo? See when you bring the girlfriend you need a good beach, and place for them to dress up and go out, personally i am not that picky nor is she, but we have traveled enough to want some better things on vacation. This tax mentioned in Guillermo, is this based on a 1 week fee or daily?
Sorry, I only judge hotels on the overall quality of service and food - I'm going there to ride and not to get pampered. That being said, if you're looking for "better things" - your best bets - imho - are Santa Maria (Melia/Melia Las Dunas) or Melia@Guillermo.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Clarencephil » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:52 pm

speedyRider wrote:is it deep enough so you dont break your neck or legs when crashing?
very small choppy or flat? Constant or gusty wind? and when is it the windy season?

thanks
There is a very large area of flat water , depth 3 to 1 feet (depending upon the tide), to the right of all the hotels, where there is a LOT of space

In front of the Allegro and the Daiquiri, there is also flat and shallow water but it is used mostly for teaching

The wind is pretty steady and I believe the windy season is from November to April

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:58 pm

alexeyga it what respect is the Club Amigo Mayanabo better than the few places in Guillermo? Sorry you never responded to this. Santa Lucia resorts are like 20 years plus.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:37 pm

keegster17 wrote:alexeyga it what respect is the Club Amigo Mayanabo better than the few places in Guillermo? Sorry you never responded to this. Santa Lucia resorts are like 20 years plus.
Actually I have responded - I judge hotels by the quality of service, condition of rooms and food. Guillermo has been on the down-slope for a few years now, this pas December in Sol it was next to impossible to get a glass of anything over 35% with no water in it, even from a newly-opened bottle!!! :lol: :jump:

Lip smacked
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lip smacked » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:46 pm

I was also wandering about these areas and was thinking of going to Cayo Coco.
But from what I'm reading here the water state there is no good.
Is this right.
Thanks for any replies

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:13 pm

I read somewhere Shawn 13, that the fee to kite is $18cuc a day, not sure if the sight is incorrect.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:32 pm

keegster17 wrote:I read somewhere Shawn 13, that the fee to kite is $18cuc a day, not sure if the sight is incorrect.
According to my buddies who just got back from there it was for the duration of their stay.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:54 pm

yeah that makes more sense, it would be a rip off, if it was daily. Shawn13, where did your buddies stay? I am considering Pestano in Cayo Coco, at least it is a new resort, and commuting back and forth to Guillermo, not sure if this will add up cost wise and a pain backing all my stuff and considering food etc for the day. It says 30km apart.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:01 pm

keegster17 wrote:yeah that makes more sense, it would be a rip off, if it was daily. Shawn13, where did your buddies stay? I am considering Pestano in Cayo Coco, at least it is a new resort, and commuting back and forth to Guillermo, not sure if this will add up cost wise and a pain backing all my stuff and considering food etc for the day. It says 30km apart.
No it's not daily.

Commuting seems like a waste of a lot of time and effort, since the hotels in Guillermo are right on the beach. The commuting will take at least 45 min at best which is the time required from the airport to Guillermo
Do you also plan to bring food and drinks as there is nothing there, apart from these hotels

Return to “Kitesurfing”